real time web analytics
Report - - Coulsdon Deep Shelter - March 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was my first ever underground explore, and I have to say I felt a sense of trepidation traipsing through the woods at night with a head torch on following my two friends. It was cold and I was quite convinced we weren't going to find it until there it was, the entrance appearing from the ground like an open mouth. In we went for a subterranean adventure!

History: There's quite a lot about this place on Google so I'll give a short breakdown:
Built in 1941 under the Cane Hill Lunatic Asylum, the Shelter was built to serve as a shelter for residents, staff and locals during air raids. After the war it was used by Cox, Hargreaves and Thompson LTD, a company that made optical equiplment and lenses for telescopes, as the climate in the tunnels remains pretty stable. However the damp and cold condition became unsuitable to work in. After they moved out Volkswagen used it as a gar garage, but soon moved out for the same reason. Car parts are still left to rot away in the tunnels. It was sealed up and forgotten for years, but has been re opened several times and been the location for one or two illegal raves.

The place looks pretty trashed, but the explore was interesting. When we arrived we were sure there were other people down there as we were sure we heard voices, but after a quick scout it became apparent we were alone. My pictures aren't super as by this point my battery was dying as was our floodlight. Nonetheless, this was a cool explore!

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

IMG_6674.jpg

IMG_6675.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
This place was actually my first ever proper explore and I didn't really know what I was doing at all back then either. You soon get used to being underground anyway. Coulsdon Deep has been open for ages now and has been getting more and more trashed.

KHurbanX

Banned
Banned
This place was actually my first ever proper explore and I didn't really know what I was doing at all back then either. You soon get used to being underground anyway. Coulsdon Deep has been open for ages now and has been getting more and more trashed.
Good advice mate !! ^^ we also told her if she keep coming exploring with us she get used to going underground (:

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Also, something I learnt. Bring a decent Bluetooth speaker, Silent underground explores are much more relaxing when you have your own personal rave blasting out as you go round.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

I actually thought it had been sealed again. Guess the owners have given up trying to seal it now! Last attempt was to tip half of the old cane hill secure unit rubble over the top of the entrance! - It's looking pretty rough these days though which is a shame it was always a great little explore.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I actually thought it had been sealed again. Guess the owners have given up trying to seal it now! Last attempt was to tip half of the old cane hill secure unit rubble over the top of the entrance! - It's looking pretty rough these days though which is a shame it was always a great little explore.

That was about 2 years ago, and it lasted a couple of months before being opened up again in a slightly different place. I reckon the owners have all but give up at this point.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I went there a few months back and it was sealed up again. Not been back for a while though.

Who has read this thread (Total: 194) View details