real time web analytics
Report - - Criggion Radio Station | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Criggion Radio Station

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tommy

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is my first UE thread, so here goes.

I had the afternoon off today and with not a lot to do, phoned my mate Al up and set off to North Wales with the plan of exploring Criggion.

Criggion is fairly well documented elsewhere on the forum, however for those who've never heard of Criggion, I'll give a brief overview.

Criggion Radio Station was opened in 1942 by the GPO, and then went over to BT in 1984. It was of particular interest to the Soviets during the cold war, as it was used as part of the communication network for the Trident submarine defence system. Originally surrounded by half a dozen or so transmitting towers these have since been demolished, but the concrete plinths can still be seen. The complex is made up from several building running along the road. The main transmitter hall sits in the shadow of Breidden Hill, with the main winch house for one of the transmitter masts still able to be seen at the top of the hill.

We explored the main VLF hall, the HF hall across the road, and the maintenance block approximately 300 yards down the road.

Photos

IMAG0121.jpg

View from the exterior

IMG_0855.jpg

The best picture I could get of the Coil Room, I need to take a larger lamp with me next time.

IMG_0868.jpg

I'll be honest, not entirely sure of what went on in this particular room, any information would be gratefully received

IMG_0871.jpg

Again not entirely sure of the purpose of this room, however as a guess, I imagine the kit housed on top of these lintels would get fairly warm hence the lintels allowing airflow around them.
IMG_0894.jpg

HF hall from the front, relatively easy to gain access to.

IMG_0901.jpg

Looking into the main room from the roof area

IMG_0908.jpg

Main room in the maintenance wing, an awful lot of broken glass and tiles on the floor, and a strong odour of sheep crap.

IMG_0914.jpg

Offices off to the rear of the main room.

IMG_0924.jpg

A particularly creepy looking corridor running the length of the front of the building

IMG_0933.jpg

Ladder leading upto the roof space of the maintenance wing.

IMG_0936.jpg

View of the end of the workshops. Had a look around but as there was a farmer nearby, I didn't fancy an attempt at gaining access.

I hope you enjoy my first post. Any hints and tips will be gratefully received :D