real time web analytics
Report - - Crisp Delph - Skelmersdale, February 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crisp Delph - Skelmersdale, February 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
fRXWwxm.jpg

Crisp Delph mine, which has earned the nickname Jenga Mine on account of it’s Jenga like concrete structures (which are supposed to support the ceiling but sorta kinda don’t really at all not even remotely a little bit) is a sandstone mine near Skelmersdale that is quite unique. It’s mined using the pillar and stall technique, but whoever mined it forgot the pillars. So, much of the ceiling is on the floor. The concrete reinforcing structures do support the roof, but seemingly just the roof immediately above them and not the rest of it. Because all the ceiling that is not immediately above them is often on the floor. Legend has it that it was once used as a bomb store. But legend also has it that it’s connected to the other sandstone mines in the area, which is something I’ve tried to investigate before with a couple of other folks.

Anyway, this mine has been on my radar for a while because it’s relatively local, it’s a nice sandstone mine and it’s novel if only just a little one. It came up in conversation, which prompted me to nudge TLR for some help. TLR kindly helped me out and I found myself heading off to the mine when I woke up far too late to snaffle the explore I’d intended to bag that day.

I seem to get up earlier with this hobby than I do for work. What the fuck is that all about.

So anyway, it would have been difficult to find the hole because it was covered in branches - if TLR had not told me where the hole was ;)

Someone really doesn't like you poking about in their hole.

But they can fuck off, because I left a tactical lenser in their hole.

Looking up toward ze entrance (which doubles up as an exit too).

tqOUnjy.jpg

Looking back at the entrance / exit from a bit further down the main shaft.

tauJr7R.jpg

Moar looking back!

wy8hEq7.jpg

Up near ze entrance. For some reason these Jenga blocks were stuffed full of little stones.

1w8lzFU.jpg

QWaviVy.jpg

MsmPySL.jpg

hIO7bPo.jpg

Peng ting collapse.

sN424es.jpg

bq8Dmpk.jpg

LLEpaGA.jpg

OxwcGCz.jpg

IExA0IQ.jpg

Narcissism in the name of establishing scale.

uMYVFQ3.jpg

wMkKrfk.jpg

kjfHFf6.jpg

Turns out I am Peter Pan with a camera.

Ii0Xdhs.jpg

Collapses!

m7DAo4T.jpg

Jenga blocks propping up not a lot of ceiling and a lot of ceiling on ze floor.

dAq0tqw.jpg

BuVrt5v.jpg

U70VcgY.jpg

Bottom of the mine.

ay8lt17.jpg

See the little adit running off?!

Has a dodgy roof.

OBsFRFY.jpg

DDBRSrx.jpg

When you remember to leave the pillars in, the roof stays up! Who knew.

jBoRYTr.jpg

Old ceiling hole.

DFlrv2I.jpg

And that's about it! Quite a lot of snaps for a small mine. But it is pretty.

Hope you enjoy the report.

Cheers,

EOA :thumb

Last edited:

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
This looks great and mines aren't usually my thing! Them jenga stacks light up well don't they, nice pics mate

Reactions: EOA

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Spot on that :thumb

These days it seem that a hole should have it's bush trimmed to be fashionable, but nowt wrong with a bit of bush :D

Reactions: EOA

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cheers for the compliments on the snaps folks :thumb

Every hole is a goal, @The Lone Ranger - even if you have to get through a load of bush to get to it.

It does looks dodgy @The Kwan, but I felt quite at home down there. Not worried once! I may be getting accustomed to being underground with dodgy looking ceilings.

It's a nice mine to start out in @tallginge - you can't get lost anyway - and once you go in one, I reckon you'd get a taste for them ;)