real time web analytics
Report - - Docklands warehouse Liverpool 03-2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Docklands warehouse Liverpool 03-2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Docklands warehouse Liverpool, This was a solo, visit whilst out and about looking to do other stuff in the area which in the end turned out to be fruitless i tried my luck down on the dock front. The place has a lot of what seem like empty buildings mainly warehouse type buildings, one that caught my eye other than the tobacco warehouse is the old sugar storage warehouse. I had a quick look but no obvious entry so another visit is in order i think, this is an amazing looking concrete warehouse, i doubt its amazing inside but well worth it if your in the area. Moving on i did spot this place which has no name so no history on this particular building. It looks like it was part of a larger building and has been partly demod. Despite the lack of size and epic machinery i really enjoyed it, the top floor has got a lot of damage but this has made it possible to see the origional iron beams to hold up the roof, and lifting gear. As you drop down floor by floor its more obvious that it was used for more modern businesses non the less it still made for a good mooch and photo opportunity. The other thing it gave me was the incentive to go back and try some of the other buildings in the area, i think Liverpool has a lot to offer at the moment.

History on the docks not necessarily this building

The Albert Dock is a complex of dock buildings and warehouses in Liverpool, England. Designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick, it was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built from cast iron, brick and stone, with no structural wood. As a result, it was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.[1]

At the time of its construction the Albert Dock was considered a revolutionary docking system because ships were loaded and unloaded directly from/to the warehouses. Two years after it opened it was modified to feature the world's first hydraulic cranes.[2] Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock became a popular store for valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, tea, silk, tobacco, ivory and sugar. However, despite the Albert Dock's advanced design, the rapid development of shipping technology meant that within 50 years, larger, more open docks were required, although it remained a valuable store for cargo.

During the Second World War, the Albert Dock was requisitioned by the Admiralty serving as a base for boats of the British Atlantic Fleet. The complex was damaged during air raids on Liverpool, notably during theMay Blitz of 1941. In the aftermath of the war, the financial problems of the owners and the general decline of docking in the city meant that the future of the Albert Dock was uncertain. Numerous plans were developed for the re-use of the buildings but none came to fruition and in 1972 the dock was finally closed. Having lain derelict for nearly ten years, the redevelopment of the dock began in 1981, when theMerseyside Development Corporation was set up, with the Albert Dock being officially re-opened in 1984.

Again sorry on the layout i still cant get images side by side...

A.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg
G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

K.jpg
L.jpg

M.jpg

N.jpg

O.jpg
P.jpg

Q.jpg

R.jpg

T.jpg
S.jpg

U.jpg

V.jpg

W.jpg

X.jpg

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Are these the tobacco warehouses that used to have the markets on a Sunday used to go there many years ago used sell loads of snide stuff there..

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Are these the tobacco warehouses that used to have the markets on a Sunday used to go there many years ago used sell loads of snide stuff there..

No mate this was further down the road..snide stuff, liverpool never.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Considering the place is largely empty I enjoyed looking through this excellent pics as usual.

Janedoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glad your trip wasn't wasted. Loved looking at these shots. I wonder how old those Liverpool Corporation forms are.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice images, Liverpool is blessed with some glorious large brick buildings but it is such a shame that some are in this state. nice to look at all the same...love that fire escape.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
One of many!

There's a report from the sugar silo on here somewhere. Snappel did it I think. There used to be a bit of tate and lyle derelict back in the day too

Last edited:

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
Nice shots, I used to drive past this on my way back from uni all the time; I did try it but was too fat to fit then! :thumb