real time web analytics
Report - - Earls Court Exhibition Centre , London- April 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Earls Court Exhibition Centre , London- April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
After hearing this was closing at the end of last year, it went straight on my list and then promptly got forgotten about until I suddenly remembered about it when chatting with The_raw and others a few weeks back. So we set a date and went and had a look round. Probably shouldn't have left it so long really, demolition is well underway although they are only nibbling at bits of the structure at the moment and the roof has been removed from some of it.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the cool bits in the basement areas of Earls Court one, as the_raw and others covered those on the second night when I was otherwise engaged which was a shame as they look to be the most interesting bits. None the less it was pretty cool to have a look round the place. I have seen several bands here over the years so it brought back a few memories of those gigs as well as the time I went to the motorshow with by best friend when I was about 13 (21 years ago now!)

Earls Court for those that don't know was the premier exhibition space in London for decades and hosted many prestigious events such as the royal tournament, the London motor show, the London boat show and many concerts and other events. It consists of two parts, Earls Court one which was built in its current form in 1937 and Earls Court two which was opened in 1991 (much later than I thought!) the two spaces were linked and could be used as one space or as separate spaces as required. The building for Earls Court one has a very distinctive art deco styling which I personally love and I will be quite sad to see this place go. I do understand why they've chosen to redevelop it as if you look around the place it is very antiquated when you compare it to modern exhibition centres and venues such as the Excel centre, but still it is a shame.

One unique feature of Earls Court one was the concealed pool in the middle of it which was formed by lowering part of the floor in the middle of the space and then flooding it. The floor is supported on a combination of hydraulic jacks with lock-in rigid supports, enabling it to be used in its 'up position' for 'heavyweight' events such as the Royal Tournament, then lowered and flooded to give a 60 m long and 30 m wide pool between 2.5 m and 3 m deep (depending on usage). The 750-ton concrete exhibition floor can be removed and reinstated at the push of a button. When used it takes four days to fill and four days to empty and 2 1/4 million gallons of water are needed to fill it!

Visited with The_Raw, JohnnyP, Ojay and then joined later by Sentinel

Anyway, on with some photos :-)

Earls Court One
IMG_1583_zpsczfw3ckc.jpg

IMG_1625_zpstiplf4qv.jpg

IMG_1607_zpstsmvw2ra.jpg

IMG_1595_zpswgds5wy2.jpg

They are evidently preparing to put a tower crane in the middle of it, they've knocked a bloody big hole through the building.
IMG_1609_zpshlx2epli.jpg

IMG_1610_zpszpkxwv8a.jpg

The base of the crane to go in was sitting next door in Earls Court 2.
IMG_1575_zpscc8zysij.jpg

We managed to get onto the roof. It wasn't great as rooftops go, but was a nice mooch.

View down the side of the building
IMG_1652_zpsswq1xctg.jpg

Various bits of plant were on the rooftop - they made buildings properly in those days, put this on the roof of a modern building and it'd end up on the ground floor!
IMG_1665_zpsomvyc90l.jpg

This was right at the very top of the place, these flaps opened to allow heat out of the building I think.
IMG_1701_zps9mw9841o.jpg

Found the water tanks and plumbing for the sprinklers including some lovely old guages.
IMG_1683_zpsac2ydxjb.jpg

Roof space which was a maze of gantries.
IMG_1695_zpsv6gcbjv3.jpg

I had a good mooch round the roof space, pretty sad but years ago I always used to look up and wonder how they strung up all the wires for things they hung from the roof for exhibitions etc. Well now I know. There were also various hefty power supplies for music events etc. concealed up here. This was possibly my favorite part of the explore even if some of of the walkways were very sketchy indeed.

Then onto Earls Court two. This building is comparatively bland, but it was still quite nice to just walk round for a bit.
IMG_1532_zpsehsch8p9.jpg

IMG_1569_zpsbhkaodxf.jpg

Plant hidden behind the walls at the side
IMG_1570_zpsi01lbcj3.jpg

Walkways either side of the hall
IMG_1547_zpsz0ay5zlh.jpg

Structure
IMG_1561_zps96ialaun.jpg

Cheeky shot on the roof in front of the sign
IMG_1530_zpsjccb9tcw.jpg

And then there was this. I just snapped this photo randomly of one of the signs and didn't think anything of it, then when I got home just out of interest I delved into my ticket collection to find the tickets for the earls court gigs I'd been to and well . . . .

IMG_1627_zpsy6aaqzt1.jpg

IMG_20150428_222815_132_zpshrvzukvq.jpg

So that's it, Earls court.

Thanks for Looking,

Maniac.

Trussmonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots. I worked here as a rigger for 7 years and spent many hundreds of hours hanging things in that roof. Its sad to see it in that state.

ERYRI

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi.
Appreciate all your time and effort recording history before it's destroyed.
I used to work there so happy memories.
Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush was unforgettable.
So many doors around the outside.
Nice mention about the swimming pool in the floor.
Wembley arena has one like it with an ammonia plant to make it an ice rink.
Many thanks.