real time web analytics
Report - - Eastmoor Borstal School, Adel, Leeds, May 2013. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eastmoor Borstal School, Adel, Leeds, May 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Eastmoor School - May 2013

Evening folks, not done a report for a few months, so I thought I'd pop this one up of our recent explore of Eastmoor Secure Unit, Leeds. Quite a nice, chilled out explore this one, and a bit to see even though the place is pretty trashed! As this is quite a well known site, I've quoted the history from a previous report.
History:

Eastmoor school in Adel, Leeds, which first opened in 1857 as the Leeds Reformatory for Boys, later becoming Eastmoor Approved School.

In the 19th century, a child under 14 could be sent to a place like Eastmoor for begging, wandering, consorting with thieves and prostitution.

"In more modern times it became the Eastmoor approved school and housed more dangerous criminals.

"One of Jamie Bulger's killers, Jon Venables, apparently spent time there in the 1990s.

"As time went on, the site grew, and became a self-contained village. Some of the buildings are still littered with clothes and toys, which gives the whole place a really eerie feel.

So on with my favourite bit, the piccys!

8739203184_7817d1f825_b.jpg

I've got the Power?!

8731605723_246d588657_b.jpg

Just Chillin' by the Pool...

8738031261_6e51d5b009_b.jpg

Boilers...

8739161156_e273551d0a_b.jpg

8739162606_378bd80ec9_b.jpg

The Workshop, note the Vices on the Bench from Record Ridgeways in Sheffield!

8738045043_4d5fb9300c_b.jpg

Eastmoor Arms...

8738073157_2b6a41f968_b.jpg

Looking a wee bit worse for wear!

8739199414_6882f9c88c_b.jpg

And well... It wouldn't be me without my trusty S10 would it! :crazy

8738079977_ab642f48d6_b.jpg

Cheers for reading Ladies and Gents, hope you enjoyed it!

goodtime212

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was in there for a year... The people there worked very hard for the kids to have something to go out to. I had a job and a flat.
A couple of the 'bosses' even came to my works party 6mths after I left. I gained a qualification you should be 18 normally.. I was 16.
Lancashire & Cheshire Institute. Competent mechanic to work without supervision it meant. I wasn't even old enough to drive. Though I
was taught by The TA on private ground. Don't believe in the 'folklore' attached to the place. I had a really rough and abusive Father & I
had been taken in for 'car and protection'. They wouldn't even consider my going home to my Dad hence the work they put in in Leeds,
I had an apprenticeship which would have been impossible before that place gave me a chance and a goal to aim for.

goodtime212

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report mate, can't beat a swimming pool. :thumb
LOL. I was in that pool as often as I could. Always quite warm though can't remember if it was heated.. There was a
small busload of disabled kids used to come one evening each week and I was elected on of the carers... I enjoyed it
so much and so did the kids on our last night before I left... There were tears on both sides..
Dirty word then was 'Approved School'.. but it did for me... because they listened.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate. Funny I was there the other week dodging the angry neighbours; ) Demo work going on at the side of the new unit & was in full swing so didn't bother getting in.

I was talking to an ex employee the other week also had found dead memories of the place but the locals & the Metal Fairies hammered it big time. Another local place I'd never bothered with ?

pissqickstevepaziuk

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was in there for a year... The people there worked very hard for the kids to have something to go out to. I had a job and a flat.
A couple of the 'bosses' even came to my works party 6mths after I left. I gained a qualification you should be 18 normally.. I was 16.
Lancashire & Cheshire Institute. Competent mechanic to work without supervision it meant. I wasn't even old enough to drive. Though I
was taught by The TA on private ground. Don't believe in the 'folklore' attached to the place. I had a really rough and abusive Father & I
had been taken in for 'car and protection'. They wouldn't even consider my going home to my Dad hence the work they put in in Leeds,
I had an apprenticeship which would have been impossible before that place gave me a chance and a goal to aim for.
Hi just joined today, I was her in the late 60's, as you say I also learnt to be a chef I worked at roundhay mansion last house I was in wa Theaker house, it saddens me to see this place in ruins I learnt lots here I would never of had the chance in school at home, I swam in the heated pool, I sat in the dentist chair, Mr Eddles was headmaster Taffy deputy. I worked in the kitchens here, points determined if you got spending monies the more pints the more monies

Andy W

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi just joined today, I was her in the late 60's, as you say I also learnt to be a chef I worked at roundhay mansion last house I was in wa Theaker house, it saddens me to see this place in ruins I learnt lots here I would never of had the chance in school at home, I swam in the heated pool, I sat in the dentist chair, Mr Eddles was headmaster Taffy deputy. I worked in the kitchens here, points determined if you got spending monies the more pints the more monies
I was there in 1970. It was Mr Eccles - his wife was the nurse, I remember her because she once taped an aspirin to a boys head. Remember Taffy well - Mr Davies - he had a speech impediment that meant he punctuated every sentence with a sound like he had something stuck in his throat. I'm glad you mentioned the house names because that's what I was trying to remember. I had totally forgotten "Theaker" and I'm not sure if that's the right spelling - was that the house used for those close to discharge? I recall the ones working outside lived in the same house. Martin was used for new arrivals, then I thought it was Bray and Wilkinson... but the latter could be false memory. It was the house facing the kitchen and classroom (across the yard).
The pool was closed by the time I arrived late 1970.
Dick Koslicki (spelling out?) (Nottingham) might have been there in 1969.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was there in 1970. It was Mr Eccles - his wife was the nurse, I remember her because she once taped an aspirin to a boys head. Remember Taffy well - Mr Davies - he had a speech impediment that meant he punctuated every sentence with a sound like he had something stuck in his throat. I'm glad you mentioned the house names because that's what I was trying to remember. I had totally forgotten "Theaker" and I'm not sure if that's the right spelling - was that the house used for those close to discharge? I recall the ones working outside lived in the same house. Martin was used for new arrivals, then I thought it was Bray and Wilkinson... but the latter could be false memory. It was the house facing the kitchen and classroom (across the yard).
The pool was closed by the time I arrived late 1970.
Dick Koslicki (spelling out?) (Nottingham) might have been there in 1969.

Did a report just the other day, Eastmoor reformatory for Boys - Adel - Jun 22 | Other Sites unbelievable that this is still standing given the date of this report & it hasn't changed much!
always great to hear personal stories from a place