real time web analytics
Report - - Elton Mill, Cambs March 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elton Mill, Cambs March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Nestled in a wealthy picturesque village in Cambridgeshire sits a long abandoned water-powered corn mill, with precious little in the way of information out there about, well, anything at all to do with it. I suspect the locals may know more than me through word of mouth but thats about it! It was a lovely surprise to see as I had no idea what to expect other than the warning it was full of pigeon poo, but it turned out to be my favourite location from the marathon I undertook to end March on.

The mill was originally constructed at some point in the latter half of the 18th Century - I was quite amazed to find some carved graffiti dated 1777 on what was once an exterior wall of the building. It was extended in the early part of the 19th Century and features an AD 1840 gable plaque. It would appear to have closed some considerable time ago, although I can't for the life of me find out any firm information on when it closed or indeed any future plans for the building which was listed at Grade II in 1988.

The mill race is still thundering through the lower floor of the mill, although the wheel no longer turns of course. It's a sight and a sound to behold, the roar of the water bouncing off the walls in the enclosed space.

46800032154_799ebde56d_b.jpg

32581291367_332a498d76_b.jpg

47523728691_21ae223ea8_b.jpg

33646930788_22f8f3671c_b.jpg

46800034514_4945c0fa45_b.jpg

33646930278_027dd22323_b.jpg

33646929828_575a9ab232_b.jpg

32581295467_12a0d8f95f_b.jpg

47523727121_ca5e0239b7_b.jpg

47471099392_2d8a49a764_b.jpg

33646928108_819d46d4a6_b.jpg

47523725801_c724c3b1cf_b.jpg

47523725671_5fee05ea21_b.jpg

46800032604_355f518e01_b.jpg

47523725481_820f5f8bb3_b.jpg

46800032314_1e56207fb7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Grade II listed - https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101130073-the-mill-elton#.XKOso5hKiM-

Water mill. Late C18 or early C19 extended and rebuilt, 'AD 1840' on gable plaque. Coursed limestone with freestone dressings, red brick and timber-frame weather-boarded. Ridged pantiled roof, corbelled parapet gables. Three storeys and attics. Four original bays extended by two bay with lower range to south-east. Undershot wheel included into later building. North-east elevation: One blocked doorway and entrance with double boarded doors and first floor boarded door above. Cast iron windows with stone lintels or segmental brick arches; ground and first floor windows with thirty panes and second floor with twenty panes. Lower range part weather-boarded with panelled door, bay window and hung sash window. Interior mostly intact, with iron and wooden waterwheel c.14 feet diam and c.12 feet wide. The miller's house attached to the north-west was demolished in 1881. ‘The mill is a long term vacant and redundant building and as such there are concerns about its structural stability and general deterioration. There has been correspondence with the Elton Estate with regard to this building and whilst there has been no definite forward progress, there is a good work relationship with the owner. The mill has been on the register since 1991 and there are on-going concerns over the condition of the timbers, brickwork, and whether birds or rain getting in and causing further damage’ Info taken from http://www.buildingpreservation.org...geshire-Watermills-and-Windmillls-at-Risk.pdf

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Grade II listed - https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101130073-the-mill-elton#.XKOso5hKiM-

Water mill. Late C18 or early C19 extended and rebuilt, 'AD 1840' on gable plaque. Coursed limestone with freestone dressings, red brick and timber-frame weather-boarded. Ridged pantiled roof, corbelled parapet gables. Three storeys and attics. Four original bays extended by two bay with lower range to south-east. Undershot wheel included into later building. North-east elevation: One blocked doorway and entrance with double boarded doors and first floor boarded door above. Cast iron windows with stone lintels or segmental brick arches; ground and first floor windows with thirty panes and second floor with twenty panes. Lower range part weather-boarded with panelled door, bay window and hung sash window. Interior mostly intact, with iron and wooden waterwheel c.14 feet diam and c.12 feet wide. The miller's house attached to the north-west was demolished in 1881. Info taken from http://www.buildingpreservation.org...geshire-Watermills-and-Windmillls-at-Risk.pdf

Yes, thats where I got the limited info from, in a paraphrased form.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Nice, any idea what the two machines pictured at the bottom were for?

I wish I did - the thing on wheels looked kind of like some sort of donkey engine or generator but no idea what the larger one was for. They are in a lean-to shed built onto the side of the building.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I wish I did - the thing on wheels looked kind of like some sort of donkey engine or generator but no idea what the larger one was for. They are in a lean-to shed built onto the side of the building.

Its a petrol pump engine I believe. I heard that there was a plan to open as a museum once upon a time which would explain some of the NOn related machinery!

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice one Mookster. I grew up not far from here, in a much less posh location tho, where anything abandoned gets set on fire rather than preserved. Great that this has survived so long...

tigger

mog
Regular User
Nice, any idea what the two machines pictured at the bottom were for?

Second from last looks like a small steam powered piston motor. A lot of mills had alternative and extra power sources using steam or parafin engines..

For people who like mills , National Mills Weekend is in May every year and sees many normally shut (in some cases due to derelict state) mills open. Usually free or 'donation' for access).

Who has read this thread (Total: 137) View details