real time web analytics
Report - - Elysium Theatre | Swansea | 2024 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elysium Theatre | Swansea | 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
Some history about the place:
The Elysium Building opened in April 1914 as a cinema and a club for the town’s working men. Designed by Messrs. Ward and Ward of 34 and 35 Norfolk Street, The Strand, and built by contractors Messrs. Fred Pitcher Ltd. The building contained spacious shops abutting on to an Arcade with show rooms over, and three floors above for staff accommodation with one large hall and several smaller halls. It was the property of the Dock, Wharf, Riverside and General Workers' Union, and the main hall was let to the Anima Company Ltd. The Elysium cinema, run by the Anima Company, could accommodate about 1,400 persons. The building also contained a ballroom, a ladies reading room, and a suite of offices used by the Dockers' Union. The cinema is thought to have closed in 1960, and the whole building later closing in the 1990s.

The Elysium Building opened in April 1914 as a cinema and a club for the town’s working men. Designed by Messrs. Ward and Ward of 34 and 35 Norfolk Street, The Strand, and built by contractors Messrs. Fred Pitcher Ltd. The building contained spacious shops abutting on to an Arcade with show rooms over, and three floors above for staff accommodation with one large hall and several smaller halls. It was the property of the Dock, Wharf, Riverside and General Workers' Union, and the main hall was let to the Anima Company Ltd. The Elysium cinema, run by the Anima Company, could accommodate about 1,400 persons. The building also contained a ballroom, a ladies reading room, and a suite of offices used by the Dockers' Union. The cinema is thought to have closed in 1960, and the whole building later closing in the 1990s.

Its hard to get in the building, and the entire building is crumbling and it’s incredibly unsafe.
This is likely the last report that will be done on this place.
The floor will fall underneath your feet, we risked our lives for these photos, I hope it was worth it
A view from the roof
IMG_6913.jpeg

A view of the landscape from the roof
IMG_6915.jpeg

Old alcohol thats been sitting since it’s closure
IMG_6925.jpeg

The old bingo hall, left to rot
IMG_6931.jpeg

Bingo Numbers
IMG_6932.jpeg

Old corridor, hole in the stairs so we cant get up
IMG_6933.jpeg

old piano, surprisingly not operational
IMG_6920.jpeg

Roof fell down, a reminder of how old this place is
IMG_6921.jpeg

all this junk, chairs placed almost too perfectly
IMG_6923.jpeg

The old bar, TV not broken
IMG_6924.jpeg

The bingo hall again
IMG_6930.jpeg

The stairs that lead to the hall
IMG_6934.jpeg

More info, quite convenient
IMG_6935.jpeg

The tint makes the outside look apocalyptic
IMG_6937.jpeg

The traffic below

IMG_6944.jpeg

Wires, almost as if its a sign not to enter
IMG_6953.jpeg

We shouldnt be here
IMG_6954.jpeg

The skylight!
IMG_6957.jpeg

old doors, peeling walls, what else is new?
IMG_6959.jpeg

The hole in the stairs, its a far drop

IMG_6963.jpeg

under the basement, how did we end up here
IMG_6965.jpeg

The entire site was this dark by the way
IMG_6966.jpeg

A place that once was full of life and laughter was left to crumble
IMG_6967.jpeg

Through the arch
IMG_6968.jpeg

Light manages to enter this hall
IMG_6970.jpeg

Wow
IMG_6971.jpeg

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this report,

BBNC

Ryhs

Seffy

Staff member
I was actually going to do a report on this place over the next week or two; what are the chances :rofl. There’s a dedicated forum to cinemas/theatres so have moved it there.

The TV falling into the stage is a personal fave

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
Great explore today. thankfully we didnt encounter any squatters 😅
They probably fell through the fire escape, reminds me of a certain guy that we know that nearly fell 50ft from the fire escape :eek:

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Some history about the place:

Its hard to get in the building, and the entire building is crumbling and it’s incredibly unsafe.
This is likely the last report that will be done on this place.
The floor will fall underneath your feet, we risked our lives for these photos, I hope it was worth it
A view from the roof
IMG_6913.jpeg

A view of the landscape from the roof
IMG_6915.jpeg

Old alcohol thats been sitting since it’s closure
IMG_6925.jpeg

The old bingo hall, left to rot
IMG_6931.jpeg

Bingo Numbers
IMG_6932.jpeg

Old corridor, hole in the stairs so we cant get up
IMG_6933.jpeg

old piano, surprisingly not operational
IMG_6920.jpeg

Roof fell down, a reminder of how old this place is
IMG_6921.jpeg

all this junk, chairs placed almost too perfectly
IMG_6923.jpeg

The old bar, TV not broken
IMG_6924.jpeg

The bingo hall again
IMG_6930.jpeg

The stairs that lead to the hall
IMG_6934.jpeg

More info, quite convenient
IMG_6935.jpeg

The tint makes the outside look apocalyptic
IMG_6937.jpeg

The traffic below

IMG_6944.jpeg

Wires, almost as if its a sign not to enter
IMG_6953.jpeg

We shouldnt be here
IMG_6954.jpeg

The skylight!
IMG_6957.jpeg

old doors, peeling walls, what else is new?
IMG_6959.jpeg

The hole in the stairs, its a far drop

IMG_6963.jpeg

under the basement, how did we end up here
IMG_6965.jpeg

The entire site was this dark by the way
IMG_6966.jpeg

A place that once was full of life and laughter was left to crumble
IMG_6967.jpeg

Through the arch
IMG_6968.jpeg

Light manages to enter this hall
IMG_6970.jpeg

Wow
IMG_6971.jpeg

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this report,

BBNC

Ryhs
I’m convinced if I take one breath there I would drop dead, you can see every dust particle in those images

Doesn’t seem a half bad place, you know if you gave me a respirator and a hard hat. Might give it a visit next time I’m down in Wales

Also I wonder if that alcohol is any good (imagine the aging) the fletchers club bottles don’t seem too bad either so many that’s an adventure to plan

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
I’m convinced if I take one breath there I would drop dead, you can see every dust particle in those images

Doesn’t seem a half bad place, you know if you gave me a respirator and a hard hat. Might give it a visit next time I’m down in Wales

Also I wonder if that alcohol is any good (imagine the aging) the fletchers club bottles don’t seem too bad either so many that’s an adventure to plan
I’ve already breathed in enough asbestos and dust that i dont think it makes a difference, the dust isnt the main concern. Although if i was you i would definitely mask up,

Visiting is not wise as the only entrance is.. interesting to reach.. to say the least

The alcohol would probably demolish your liver if you drank it, i doubt the cheap bar liquor would taste nice at all. But hey, you do you man if u wanna drank it i cant stop you :)

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
I’d be more worried about the spongy nature of the floors haha
If your careful the floors arent a problem, you just need to identify what you can and cant step on. We found that out the hard way, i suppose we’re the test dummies that go where no one else has gone :/