real time web analytics
Report - - Everton Library, Liverpool, May 2021 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Everton Library, Liverpool, May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Introduction
Although visited and reported upon numerous times Everton library, in Everton, holds some rather interesting and unique architecture within.
So one morning, of a day that would result in numerous visits to well known locations, we took a peek inside.

A bit of history.
Source: Mostly wikipedia

The library dates back to its construction and opening in 1896 designed by Thomas Shelmerdine.

The library itself one of the first public libraries within Liverpool appearing some years after the Public Libraries Act of 1850. This act gave councils the ability to open free public libraries starting an institution within the UK where information and literature would be free to access which was a concern within social and educational needs of the time.

The architect behind the libraries' construction, Thomas Shelmerdine, was born in 1845 becoming the City Surveyor of Liverpool in 1871 at 26 years old. Even today, he is the youngest person to hold this title. Thomas was responsible for several notable structures within Liverpool such as the Ulet Road entrance to Sefton park, Toxteth Library, Hornby Library, Everton Library and his last design being Sefton Park Library in 1911. Thomas Shelmerdine would pass away in 1921.
The design of Everton Library is built upon a triangular plot with turret towering the southern corner with a main hall to the north covered by a barrel shaped roof. The building is built to a victorian renaissance, Jacobean, style.

The library opened in 1896 after construction, being given a Grade 2 listed status in 1966, before being closed around 1999. Since then it has sat dormant being named one of the top endangered buildings by the Victorian Society in 2019. There have been numerous plans for reuse all of which have seemingly failed apart from some urgent repairs around 2019.

The Visit.
We arrived early and like most morning explores piled out of the car with McDonald's wrappers following suit. After a quick wander we spotted what might have been an entry but with a few locals hanging around, outside thier homes and waiting for whatever, we went back to the car and drove around a bit before heading in.
Once in it was fairly relaxed explore the only bother being the battery warning reminding myself that I should have charged the camera and the floor slightly giving way at a rather unexpected point in the visit.

Starting off where we began.

The library is in a clear state of disrepair.

Moving upstairs to the landing with a cut out allowing natural light to reach the lower floors.

Round the corner the main hall is found.

Moving on towards the southern point of the building on some of the smaller rooms.

The Staircase

Upstairs wasn't all that impressive but strangely photogenic.

Anyway, that'll be all.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
It's a lovely place with a supprisingly nice roof, especially with view of stadiums.

KPUrban_

Regular User
Much to like here
Indeed so. One of the few excuses to go north.
Nice update on the place. It is pretty unique with the iron work. Nice work :thumb
Thank you. Haven't see much on it recently so it was a shot in the dark on this visit.
Really nice photos mate
Thanks mate.
It's a lovely place with a surprisingly nice roof, especially with view of stadiums.
Never got onto the roof, windows all locked and cable tied.

Alec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't suppose by any chance, that you saw this WW1 Memorial Plaque on one of the walls when you were going around?
It was moved into the Library from Heyworth Street County Infants & Primary School after it closed down in the 1980s.
It would be a pity if it had been damaged or disappeared, given what it represents.

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Regular User
I don't suppose by any chance, that you saw this WW1 Memorial Plaque on one of the walls when you were going around?
It was moved into the Library from Heyworth Street County Infants & Primary School after it closed down in the 1980s.
It would be a pity if it had been damaged or disappeared, given what it represents.
Unfortunately I saw no memorial plaque inside. Albeit I wasn't that focused on finding something like that so there is a chance of it being there but the likelihood is that it has been removed.

The Man In Black

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unfortunately I saw no memorial plaque inside. Albeit I wasn't that focused on finding something like that so there is a chance of it being there but the likelihood is that it has been removed.

My report from here was around 2015 and that plaque wasn't there then.

Who has read this thread (Total: 431) View details