real time web analytics
Question - - First aid kit | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - First aid kit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Interesting - when I say allergic, I mean blinding, spots in front of my eyes headaches pretty much right away. But the smaller quantities in Lemsip don't seem to have the same effect so you may well be right.

Depends what type you use.

Original Lemsip = 625mg paracetamol

Lemsip max, Lemsip cold and flu, etc. = 1000mg paracetamol (the same as two paracetamol tablets)

mrjonesybop

Derp?
28DL Full Member

Father! This explains my fascination with my old GS! It's in my blood... :p

- Yours was the Kalahari colours, no?
BMW_Kalahari_3oclock.jpg

Just repainting mine the same scheme... :p

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Want, want, want!

Is there a fork brace on the front forks? (cant see from your pics)

Spent a small fortune on bits for mine (as you do :p ) but the cheap BMW brace was the single biggest improvement to the bike - improved the ride, much better under heavy braking - best £25 I ever spent :thumb

mrjonesybop

Derp?
28DL Full Member
Want, want, want!

Is there a fork brace on the front forks? (cant see from your pics)

Spent a small fortune on bits for mine (as you do :p ) but the cheap BMW brace was the single biggest improvement to the bike - improved the ride, much better under heavy braking - best £25 I ever spent :thumb

I wish that was mine... Alas no, it is just an example photo. Mine is a 1991 R100GS PD (rectangular headlight).
It will be those colours though :thumb

I'll PM you the photos when it's finished. :)

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
just about what i carry to most places apart from i carry the items below as well

insulation tape
2 plastic bags (heavy duty)
small can of expander foam !

now i wonder if you can work out why ! :cool:

If you're talking first aid you could improvise a very good splint with two bags of foam held in place with tape.

If you're not talking first aid, a creative imagine could conjour up all sorts of things.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
just about what i carry to most places apart from i carry the items below as well

insulation tape
2 plastic bags (heavy duty)
small can of expander foam !

now i wonder if you can work out why ! :cool:

A fake fanny by any chance for the long cold nights in camp,
wrap the bag around broken joint then tape one end with duct tape fill with builders foam and the joint cant move ?:confused
A tripod makes a good splint.

SparkUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
and wait for 3 days for the foam to go solid before moving

Maybe longer with no air getting to it.... I remember my brother in law trying to make a sort of head shape in a baloon with that stuff.... it was still wet weeks lalter when he tried to cut the baloon off.... very messy.

Oh and BTW don't be giving me your nasty Ibuprofen thank you.... unless you want to have a very very wheezy casualty on your hands.

RandomLocation

28DL Member
28DL Member
My first aid set contains:

- 3 large sterile dressings
- 4 large eye pad sterile dressings
- 9 medium sterile dressings
- 6 triangular bandages
- 10 alcohol free wipes
- 4 bags of washproof plasters
- 2 pairs of medium sized gloves
- 1 bag of safety pins

:D

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
I usually dont tell people whats in my trauma pack, as the bone saw tends to make them a touch queesy!

note to self: one day, wash blood stains from bone saw

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm 02 and AED trained but you have to draw the line somewhere with what to take on an explore. I have one of the foil space blankets in the car but I've never felt need to take it into an explore - might be useful to have in some of the bigger kits.

On the Asprin / Ibuprofen question, I prefer Ibuprofen but some people go for paracetamol - some while back when I had a really nasty ear infection my doctor told me to take both and I said "What alternately ?" and he said "No, together". So having both can be useful

I'm a great beleiver in taking things with more than one use. Eye bandages were on one list - something in the eye means rinse with water, you can't do that with coke, so take water to drink. Saftey pins have loads of uses etc.

But I think you have to plan for categories of incident.
At one end you have the "Take tablet" / "stick something on it" and carry on type.
At the other you have the "Get professional help to the casualty" type - the person is not going to recover with your help alone, so your task is to keep them in the best state for the professionals - that means keeping airways clear, doing CPR, Stopping serious bleeding, watching for signs of shock. After that it is a question of watching and keeping the casualty comfortable.

In the middle "Need to sort that out when you get home", "Need to go to A & E" ... Some people seem to be trying to cover the whole of that segment...