real time web analytics
Question - - First aid kit | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - First aid kit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
You should always try to stop bleeding a applying presure first, a tourniquet should be used as a last resort only:

Tourniquets are tight bands used to control bleeding by completely stopping the blood flow to a wound. Tourniquets have a bad rap in the field of emergency first aid. Complications of tourniquet use have led to severe tissue damage. However, tourniquets can arrest bleeding quite well and are useful in cases of severe leg or arm bleeding that cannot be stopped in any other way.

To make a tourniquet, use a non-stretchy material, such as terry cloth or a triangular bandage, and fold it lengthwise until it's between 1 and 2 inches wide.

Tie the tourniquet around the injured arm or leg, several inches above the injury (the part of the limb closer to the heart). If the injury is below the elbow or knee, you may need to tie the tourniquet above the joint. Use a common square knot (like tying your shoes without the bow).

Place a stick or other item strong enough to act as a windlass (a lever that will twist the tourniquet tighter) on the knot and tie the loose ends of the tourniquet around it in another square knot (see photo)

Anything can be used as a windlass, as long as it is strong enough to hold the tourniquet and can be secured in place. Consider sticks, spoons, or even a piece of pipe.

Twist the windlass to increase the pressure until the bleeding stops. Secure the windlass by tying one or both ends to the victim's arm or leg.

If possible to assist medical help, mark the time the tourniquet was placed by putting a "T" on the victim's forehead with the time/day.

You can buy quick release tourniquet for a few pounds:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_3lo6no7g32_e

This is the type I carry
http://www.medibargains.co.uk/tactical-tourniquet-eb1014/
Its Velcro fastened and has a built-in windlass, and is easy enough to apply to yourself if need be. (but not round the neck for a head wound LoL)

Last edited:

Kieron Young

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i know im being a bore but its illegal to admisister drugs in england with out authorisation so dont be giving out asprin or any other drug to people you dont know. they are also illegal now to carry in first aid kits (unless for your self)/;; sorry i know i sound boring

Leeds(Ex)plorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not overly sure youve got that quite right fella
You cant give em out at schools etc in case the person is alergic as far as I know

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
i know im being a bore but its illegal to admisister drugs in england with out authorisation so dont be giving out asprin or any other drug to people you dont know. they are also illegal now to carry in first aid kits (unless for your self)/;; sorry i know i sound boring

Where did you glean that information from

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
There is no law preventing the carrying of non-prescription drugs for your own use, and if travelling in a group it is best if you know of any allergic reactions.

Restrictions exsist under UK & International Workplace Health & Saftey law, but are not binding for expedition first aid, where a trained first aider should carry only what he/she is trained in.

What you carry is really dependant on how far you are from help, space available and of course waight.

This wiki page is the best I found on a 'complete kit' but I think is overkill for a day out say...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aid_kit

Yeniceri

28DL Member
28DL Member
I don't carry IFAKs any more unless I'm expecting something unexpected. But here's mine:

5679516055_6650b6b50c_z.jpg

explorer101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was lookking at first aid kits aswell but some of the prices are a bit of a joke for what you get.

A basic kit can involve plasters and antiseptic wipes and can go up to a couple of bandages and some wound dressings, just go into your local boots or whatever and see what they have in terms of first aid and what you think you will need :)

L x

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
I don't carry IFAKs any more unless I'm expecting something unexpected. But here's mine:

5679516055_6650b6b50c_z.jpg

The Army don't use QuikClot granules any more. Basically, if it blows about and gets in your eyes it can cause corneal damage due it being a very powerful dehydrating agent. This has happened a number of times in the field. The QuikClot sponge dressings were developed to address this problem and should be safe in this regard. However, Army medics now use Celox products. This is a higher tech system which combines specifically with blood, rather than water - to gel and provide topical clotting.

I picked up some Celox Gauze from an army mate, which I have in the car kit, ready to add if needed to my expedition kit.

http://www.celoxmedical.com/newspad/newsletter.asp?article=5

Last edited:

Yeniceri

28DL Member
28DL Member
What I have in this picture is not the granule version of Quikclot, it's sponge just as you recommend. I have the bigger military types stocked for SHTF as well. I'm aware of Celox products but I'm not convinced that there is a major difference between alternative brands. They are around the same price but I will not buy new ones until I run out of my current inventory. Quikclot sponge is good enough. Granules on the other hand are not good to go anymore. It's hard to clean them afterwards and they tend to damage healthy tissue more than sponges do. Splashes to the eye may be a danger as well just like you mentioned.

Here's a bonus, vietnam era combat dressing which I collected.

5616206740_b9e890be5f_z.jpg

Intelligent spy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In my backpack I have a section dedicated to:

Various plasters
Alcohol wipes and sachets of vinegar
Instant freeze packs x2
Scissors
Stitches
Superglue
Bandage
Tape
Tcp

If I where to put it in a separate bag it would be no larger than the small lifesystems personal first aid kit! Ohh also I have a can of super tennants for if I'm in pain. Touch wood my first aid kit remains derelict and has never been touched