real time web analytics
Question - - First aid kit | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - First aid kit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
At the other you have the "Get professional help to the casualty" type - the person is not going to recover with your help alone, so your task is to keep them in the best state for the professionals - that means keeping airways clear, doing CPR, Stopping serious bleeding, watching for signs of shock. After that it is a question of watching and keeping the casualty comfortable.

fek - me thinks someone hasn't quite got to grips with the 'risk assessment' bit of urbexing

sits and waits quietly for barrarge of bullsh1t and nonsense firing my way :cool:

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do expand ...

You can fall while doing anything, including urbex - there is a slightly higher risk on an explore - and falls can range from laugh it off, to death. So let's say your buddy falls through a floor and gets seriously cuts on the way. You can stop them bleeding to death while waiting for the ambulance (save their life), but you're not going to patch them up so they can go home

Sure you want avoid injuries in the first place ... especially the life threatening kind, and if you are going underground (for example), you probably should ask what happens if someone is hurt and can't get out under their own steam. But I wouldn't worry about having the proper kit to deal with a broken arm. I'd improvise , but like I said I do tend to put things in my bag which I can improvise with

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I don't normally carry anything, except on long underground trips (because of the larger rucsac) when I carry a field dressing, antiseptic cream, liquid soap, plasters.

However I do think it's a good idea...

IMG_7838Small.jpg

If anyone qualified want's to suggest a sensible retail product it would be appreciated.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
A First Aid Kit with more than the basics is no good without a basic knowledge of first aid.

I carry a basic first aid kit, which includes at least:
•plasters in various sizes
•sterile or wet wipes to clean area of wound
• small sterile water 'tubes'
•large sterile dressings for management of severe bleeding
•medium sterile dressing for care of larger wounds
•triangular bandages to support suspected broken bones, dislocations or sprains
•eye pad in case of a cut to the eye
•safety pins to secure dressings
•small role of medical tape
•disposable gloves to implement good hygiene (not bothered about aids, but your hands may be filthy)
[numbers of each vary dependant on space, I carry a large kit in the car]

Looking at the above pack, thats more or less the same contents.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
A First Aid Kit with more than the basics is no good without a basic knowledge of first aid.

Very good point. I remember there being a first aid weekend course or something organised through 28 a few years back, may it be time for a repeat.

Ordnance; I'm training to be a nurse, mate. ;)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The only time I ever needed medical assistance I just dialled 999, what you really need is morphine, you can make a tourniquet out of your underpants :D