real time web analytics
Former Gasworks and social club - Reading - October 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Former Gasworks and social club - Reading - October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

milvusmouse

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first report - feedback welcome! :)

History of the Governor House
This information comes from the excellent Reading Museum: https://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/blog/goodbye-gasholders

The Governor House was part of the Reading Gasworks, and was built in 1903 to support the growing gas distribution network in Reading. The House was built on part of a 13-acre site that the Reading Gas Company purchased from the famous Huntley & Palmers biscuit company in 1880. There are two remaining buildings on the site, the governor house itself and a social club. The club was extended in 1912 and apparently had constant hot water, a rare feature at the time. Both buildings are now derelict, and a proposal has been made to create 20 dwellings by converting and extending these buildings. Planning permission was granted in 2016, but as far as I can tell no one has taken this up yet. Offers are invited in excess of £1.5m, if you’re feeling flush and fancy a project.

Exploring the site
We stumbled across the site unexpectedly, in a wander around Reading, which had started with a peer at the Huntley & Palmers building, appropriately enough. There is no difficulty in accessing the site, and both buildings are clearly well-used, containing a couple of tents, kettles, random bits of clothing, a lot of needles and even a bike. As we explored we were nervous of disturbing someone so made sure to make our presence known, but didn’t see anyone. All the same I was a bit wary of lingering too long taking photos. There is lots of graffiti, and someone has recently erected a plasterboard wall in the large upstairs room of the main house - my best guess is that it’s for an art project of some sort. Apparently the Uni’s architecture department did a project on potential uses for the site recently, but I’m not sure it’s associated with that.
The rooms of the workingmen’s club are mostly large and airy with beautiful arched windows and several fireplaces. There is an interesting wooden gantry/small gangway the whole length of the main room, a dozen feet up. As well as the human population, there are clearly a lot of resident pigeons.
The governor house itself is a large empty space with a big drop down to the (current) floor, with several large, old gas mains emerging into it. There’s a strong smell of gas, and more evidence that people are living here. We didn’t head down into the space itself (I was a little wary of potential issues climbing back out again, and the smell of gas was quite off-putting). We headed off soon after.

Photos

The social club (exterior)

IMG_20201018_150819 (Custom).jpg

Downstairs rooms
IMG_20201018_145807 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_145821 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_150404 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_145828 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_145908 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_145947 (Custom).jpg

Upstairs room

IMG_20201018_150003 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_150108 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_150215 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_150044 (Custom).jpg

Exterior - the social club fire escape and the governor house in the background

IMG_20201018_150429 (Custom).jpg

IMG_20201018_150711 (Custom).jpg

The old gas mains

IMG_20201018_150726 (Custom).jpg

chills

Queller of the uprising
Good history and write up. All I’d say is your title needs the correct name adding to coincide with your history. You also have some duplicated photos throughout your report.

Have a read of this guide to help you posting a report for next time:

Nonetheless, not a bad effort and a good first report!

Seffy

Staff member
Not bad that mate. Was hoping for gas holders but still not to be sniffed it. Just try and sort out the duplicate photos as mentioned above :thumb

milvusmouse

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks! I'm looking for a way to edit the post but failing miserably :S If you can point me to an edit button I'll get the photos sorted.

And in terms of the name, would "Reading Gasworks (Governor House and social club)" be closer to what you were expecting? There are a few gasworks sites around Reading, and one remaining gas holder, but that's due to be demolished soon :(

chills

Queller of the uprising
Thanks! I'm looking for a way to edit the post but failing miserably :S If you can point me to an edit button I'll get the photos sorted.

And in terms of the name, would "Reading Gasworks (Governor House and social club)" be closer to what you were expecting? There are a few gasworks sites around Reading, and one remaining gas holder, but that's due to be demolished soon :(

You should only be able to edit your post for 24 hours after posting so that is probably why.

Name wise, it’s good to use the official name of the site/ownership if there was one, however overall, it’s myself just being picky so it can probably remain as you’ll struggle to edit everything now.

Just remember for next time! ✌

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good 1st report. Accidents happen, and duplicates can only be removed by a very kind moderator or admin now, as 24 hrs have past. As Chills posted the poster link, im assuming there were errors, good to see them put right. So very well done. Welcome to 28DL hope we see more from you :thumb

Grumbly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been past this building so many times, always wondered what it was! Props too you for getting in, I didn't fancy getting gawked at by angry neighbours while trying too scale that wall!

Photo taken early 2021, Do you know if they have any plans for it or is it just gonna rot? I've always worried that one day something will slip and the whole thing will go into the river.

Who has read this thread (Total: 189) View details