real time web analytics
Report - - Former Pilkington HQ Canteen, St. Helens, Jan. 23 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Former Pilkington HQ Canteen, St. Helens, Jan. 23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The company was founded in 1826 as a partnership between members of the Pilkington and Greenall families, based in St. Helens, Lancashire (at the time!). It was for many years the biggest employer in the northwest industrial town. Other notable firms in the town were Beechams, the Gamble Alkali Works, Ravenhead glass, United Glass Bottles, Triplex, Daglish Foundry, and Greenall's brewery.

Between 1953 and 1957, Alastair Pilkington and Kenneth Bickerstaff invented the float glass process, a revolutionary method of high-quality flat glass production by floating molten glass over a bath of molten tin, avoiding the costly need to grind and polish plate glass to make it clear.

The distinctive blue-glass head office tower block on Alexandra Business Park, completed in 1964 during the Modern Movement by Fry, Drew & Partners, was used as the firms world HQ.

In the continuing march of progress and decline of UK industry Pilkington was acquired by the Japanese firm Nippon Sheet Glass in 2006, which valued the business at £1.8bn. In 2015 the sale of the former St. Helens HQ was agreed, with the 125 remaining staff looking to be transferred to the Lathom facility, near Ormskirk.

The design of this site is a hark back to a time when employers cared about the wellbeing of their staff, and architects planned buildings in such a manner, with the site sitting in a mini modernist utopia. The canteen building is a bright open space overlooking the lake with two floors accessed by cantilevered staircase. There are two landscaped airing courts at opposing ends of the rooms, running through both floors.

Here are a couple of excellent archive pictures of the site from Ribapix (somewhere you can spend hours lost in old modernist canteens of yesteryear!):

0410409_RIBA58418_600.jpeg

0402132_RIBA57720_600.jpeg

0410413_RIBA58422_600.jpeg

0426501_RIBA75910_600.jpeg

0410425_RIBA58434_600.jpeg

Now most people are lucky if they get to work in a windowless box like a robot for 12 hours a day.

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 1.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 2.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 3.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 4.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 5.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 6.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 7.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 8.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 9.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 10.jpg

Pilkingtons HQ, St. Helens 11.jpg

Shouldn't Throw Stones - The View of a Night Watchmen is a body of work produced by artist/ photographer Kevin Casey, who had been working as a security guard at the former HQ. He has documented his role as a Night Watchmen and the working life of the employees that remained, and collected archive materials from the glass industry left onsite. Casey ran an exhibition in 2018 and the accompanying book and film are well worth a look.

Shouldn't Throw Stones - Art Installation/documentary from LBM - Lens Based Media on Vimeo"

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nice that mate. My mum use to sit in this canteen when she worked at Pilks. I remember going the museum they had here with the school.

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Couple more archive shots of inside for anyone interested. Showing the mural by Victor Pasmore on the back wall, one of Britain's pioneers of abstract art. It's still there and I appear to have completely missed it, doh! You can just see it in the background of pic 6. I'll have to go back now for completeness obviously.
received_583945080237150.jpeg

received_833524471270991.jpeg

received_3190037381307699.jpeg

Last edited:

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
What a beautiful building, very nicely documented. I love it. Does anyone know the future plans for this?
There are a couple of companies using rented office space over in the maim building but I don't think any of it is listed so unfortunately probably the inevitable faceless housing or some such.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Agreed thats a pretty cool explore just for the internal garden & architecture. Another one Im strangely itching to play around on the steps on my bike too lol

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Fantastic. Loving the archive pics. Top report mate. I love the glass courtyard/skylight the way it lets the light in like that lights it up like a fishtank.

Who has read this thread (Total: 266) View details