real time web analytics
Report - - Glory Hole / Trafford Storm Relief - Manchester, 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glory Hole / Trafford Storm Relief - Manchester, 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Thirteen Million Bowls of Cornflakes (shouldn’t they be using metric..?)
ss2.jpg

This, according to the undoubtedly stoned United Utilities major projects division, is how many delicious bowls of baseline breakfast goodness you could put into their latest adventure playground offering at Trafford Park in Manchester. Upon completion, it will form the first line of defence in turd storage and wet-wipe collection to save the poor old ship canal from getting collectively shat into by the upstream population of Manchester.

We’ve had our eye on this for quite a bit, and I remember back in January or something going for a nosy with suboffender, L and the late millhouse but all they’d really done by then was dug a big hole that didn’t really go anywhere. A few months later, I got a nudge from the Rt Hon. ConcreteJungle with a link to a big white round thing being lowering onto the main shaft on Fraser Place.

ss1.jpg

Yep. We’ll ‘av that.

I checked it periodically for the next couple of months waiting for a night when they’d stop work, and one day, as if by magic, they’d downed tools and courteously built a massive staircase down into the 35m primary shaft.

“….You busy Friday?”​

traf17.jpg

bish-bash-bosh.

traf1.jpg

traf2.jpg

traf3.jpg

traf4.jpg

traf5.jpg

traf6.jpg

I was rather pleased with the results of this. The TBM, Gloria, was at right angles at the end of the first tunnel, about to begin boring the second stage into the last shaft by the roundabout on Europa Way. Pretty lucky tbh, as a week later, after Gone, Tweek and L went back, the stairs had gone and they were working proper shifts again.

traf7.jpg

traf8.jpg

traf9.jpg

traf10.jpg

traf11.jpg

traf12.jpg

traf13.jpg

traf14.jpg

traf16.jpg

I then kind of forgot about it, only having the screening chamber in the back of my mind for a casual revisit for a chilled night, when morse decided he’d come pay us a visit and wanted a gander. I wasn’t busy and quite fancied a night out so happily obliged. The site was quiet, but there were no stairs this time. We’d have to faff about with the ropes..

traf18.jpg

Down we go then.

traf19.jpg

traf20.jpg

traf21.jpg

traf22.jpg

I think we got even luckier this time. I’d been checking most days and they’d been working every night apart from the Sunday we went, and when we got to the end of the tunnel, it became pretty clear why. They’d broken through, and Gloria was on its blocks, ready to be lifted out and taken back to Murphy Tunneling Co for a holiday. Stoked we got this.

traf23.jpg

traf24.jpg

traf25.jpg

traf26.jpg

Anyway, bitch of a jumar out and we were off into the night, happy as you like.

traf27.jpg

Attachments

• teebee.jpg
    teebee.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2
  • traf15.jpg
    traf15.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

m9

big in japan
Regular User
I did eventually go back, again, with CJ to check out the screening chamber on the night of a motherfucker of a storm, which provided an excellent fill flash to lighting up the main chamber.

traf30_zpsmzlqyjy8.jpg

traf28_zpskbaarove.jpg

traf29_zpsrdvzdfwc.jpg

Here you can see the temporary pipe thats taking the weight of outfall A while they sort this thing out. You can see the weir that will overflow in heavy rain, which then goes on to the big screeners.

Poser, for scale.
traf31_zps0p5ru3ua.jpg

The murky water then flows through this indiana jones bit, into a big pressure surge tank then into the storage tanks. If it gets REALLY full, then it’ll probably overflow into lower lock stock and then head into the canal, but it’d have to be a motherfucker of a rain storm for that to happen.

traf33_zpsyrqjqw6o.jpg

traf32_zpsvxfudycz.jpg

traf34_zpsrmh2ovkq.jpg

traf36_zpsfzxz9gha.jpg

Good job UU, just don’t be putting my water bill up!

Last edited:

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
I always thought Northern peoples had fry ups for breakfast instead of cereal, so UU have taught me something here :)

Very very nicely indeed! :thumb

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Absolutely epic love the inside of this what a rush it must have been thanks for the report

morse

The Green Giraffe
28DL Full Member
Ah nice, hadn't seen anything of the screening chamber before. Looks absolutely massive.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Outstanding effort and what a size that place is..That shot of the busines end of the tbm is banging mate

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Writeup nailed. It was a decent project to do over the last few months, looking forward now to seeing after it's been broken in by a wall of shitty storm water.

Reactions: m9