real time web analytics
General - - Glow in the dark 28 D/L lenser cover | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Glow in the dark 28 D/L lenser cover

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Got my lenser last week. I had a brainwave of making a cover for it to cut down the light beam, change the colour to somthing less obvious at a distance (any colour ofher than white is harder to see as we only have black and white vision in the dark) and the actual brainwave part, make it glow in the dark so it can show the way whilst in light sensitive areas and save battery power.
It works well, it's still bright on its brightest setting but well diffused, on the low setting it's gonng to be useful.
I added 28 D/L to the face but it can only be seen whilst it's glowing or on its dimmest setting.

It's a tight a fit at the moment and doesn't sit all the way down as designed, I could alter the drawing but I think it's better tight than loose in our game so I'll live with it.
The pictures don't show what it actually looks like in the flesh but it gives you an idea.

20181001_172950.jpg

20181001_173015.jpg

20181001_173035.jpg

20181001_173042.jpg

20181001_173338.jpg

20181001_173222.jpg

20181001_173523.jpg

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Hmm they were there when I posted :(

Edit, re-uploaded try now. The mobile site hasn't been working properly for me for a few weeks now.

Last edited:

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
I just dont get why you would need a flow in the dark cover to lead the way when it doesnt give enough light off to see and its in your hand. If you dont know where your hand is i think low light is the least of your worries lol

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
It was just somthing that fits my needs and I thought I would share.
The glow in the dark, im guessing, gives off a lumen or two, enough to shine close at a gate to see the latch for example. The last two pictures are the glow with the torch turned off after the torch was turned on for a second or two to charge it. The longer the torch is on the longer and brighter the glow is afterwards.
The main reason was to make a diffuser, the glow in the dark is just an additional extra because the filament was in the machine after printing some Halloween bits and I thought it was a reasonable idea to try.
The diffuser works well, I've tried it tonight and it gives off a blueish light with no beam. When placed at a distance it wasn't noticeable.
To be honest the 28 D/L logo was more about me practicing lettering again as I've not done it for a while.
It would work well for light painting.
Forgive me if I'm out of place I was just sharing a project.

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Would be very easy to knock something like this up on a 3D printer, I might even have a go if I get bored enough. Producing a cap that would allow you to project the 28 logo onto a wall wold be pretty cool though.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It was just somthing that fits my needs and I thought I would share.
The glow in the dark, im guessing, gives off a lumen or two, enough to shine close at a gate to see the latch for example. The last two pictures are the glow with the torch turned off after the torch was turned on for a second or two to charge it. The longer the torch is on the longer and brighter the glow is afterwards.
The main reason was to make a diffuser, the glow in the dark is just an additional extra because the filament was in the machine after printing some Halloween bits and I thought it was a reasonable idea to try.
The diffuser works well, I've tried it tonight and it gives off a blueish light with no beam. When placed at a distance it wasn't noticeable.
To be honest the 28 D/L logo was more about me practicing lettering again as I've not done it for a while.
It would work well for light painting.
Forgive me if I'm out of place I was just sharing a project.

All good mate, ignore the negativity!

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Would be very easy to knock something like this up on a 3D printer, I might even have a go if I get bored enough. Producing a cap that would allow you to project the 28 logo onto a wall wold be pretty cool though.

I can share the file if you want, my printer did it a bit tight but at least I won't loose it. Mine doesn't project the logo, to do that I think it would need to be cut all the way through. I can modify the file if you want to try that but you will loose the centres of the 8 and the D.

Thanks ojay :)

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I like the concept - I tend to stick my hand over the lens to just break out a small beam. Be cool if someone could sort of make twistable front that varies the light coming out - taking it a step further so to speak

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Im sure i could make a cover with a varying aperture size. I like the idea, I'll have a go and post back.
I also put my hand over and let the light creep through between fingers lol. I've got a cheap torch I'm putting a red led in instead to use for such situations but I like your idea.

Edit, thinking about a variable aperture the head/cap would be quite a lot bigger in order to allow space for the covering parts when fully open and give the full diameter beam.
I guess the easier thing would be to put a small hole in the middle of the cap.

Last edited: