real time web analytics
Graffiti | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Graffiti

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Well depends if you mean graffiti as 'people ruining derps' or graffiti as the whole other alternative culture that exists in in some part in a venn diagram overlap with urbex, which it also is. Core graffiti scene's name of the game is to have your tag seen in hard to reach places (ie the terms 'getting up' and 'all city'), with the 'higher leagues' of it always centred around trains, and there's a whole myriad of politics within that. It's hard to compare something like DDS's cause and modus operandi to people spraypainting stuff in derelict buildings. Writers that really live for their 'game' would get the creeps at the mere thought of being associated with people who go into abandoned buildings to paint big gaudy bits. Sure there are ruins that basically amount to legal 'street art' spots (Torrington, Loxley etc) and as an urban explorer one should be occupied with visiting superior localities anyway, but doing your 'piece' in an abandoned location like the control room pic Albino shared above (or even more controversially on the Burans) is neither cool nor core nor organic by anybody else's standards. Speaking of organic - then there's the third matter of kids being kids. Scallywags scribbling so and so is a cunt at their local derp that they go to to smash shit up and vape or whatever. Nobody's ever going to stop that unless the derp/mine whatever gets well secured, so, meh. Is what it is. But yes, bottom line, if there's graffiti in a derp, it means it gets a lot of footfall, and the appeal of it ought to wane.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I love seeing graffiti, but it’s got to be in the right place. Some places it should not be done. But places like Upwood, Loxley, Firbeck colliery when it was around, etc, these places are utter ruins and on their last legs. When you see some art on walls it’s just amazing, and I have travelled just to see some graffiti.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
I don't have the talent for it but I do like looking at a decent bit of art
I think we've all seen this lass on our travels

51349158015_b1be9a1377_c.jpg

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Never been a grafitti fan. I've always associated it with knuckle draggers.
There has only ever been one piece of grafitti which I've actually been impressed by, which was the massive naked lady piece in Ashford Locomotive Works. I do have a photo of it buried in my archives somewhere. It was so detailed and almost perfect it looked like a photo print.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I don't have the talent for it but I do like looking at a decent bit of art
I think we've all seen this lass on our travels

51349158015_b1be9a1377_c.jpg
Never seen her but I see this guy Everywhere and I mean EVERWHERE
IMG_0239.jpeg

Pretty sure I saw it on that conveyor at Heyrod power station, how he got there I couldn’t tell you

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Graffiti has it's place. Untouched wonderful locations that are a pleasure to photograph and explore? No. A bland, empty, modern warehouse devoid of any features of interest? Arguably yes in that it gives you something to look at.

There are some incredibly talented graffiti artists out there plying their trade in derelict buildings as well as in public places, unfortunately the vast majority of graffiti and tagging is utter turd wherever you find it.

And don't even get me started on the kind of cretinous 'explorers' who plaster stickers carrying the names of their dumb Youtube channels or Facebook pages everywhere.

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
It's just like exploring. If its done for the right reasons it's cool, if it's done wrong for the wrong reasons it's not.

Burning places because you couldnt help but tag (stickers, paint, even names in the dust) is obviously a bad one. Name in the dust to bait security at the place they already know is getting hammered not so bad.

Defacing decent, untouched places with dubious quality 'art' not great. Using walls in long derelict shit holes as a canvas for your masterpiece not so bad.

Rampent tagging of any surface going not great. Putting a tag in genuinely hard to tag place because you can no so bad.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
A few of the many Coloquix pics I have collected over time. I ain't been to see many lately though. I even got some prints from the artist.

FB_IMG_1707064517155.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064525037.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064528058.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064541427.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064547020.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064552176.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064556892.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064573699.jpg

FB_IMG_1707064578505.jpg
Genuinely excellent art like, it’s the sort of stuff I wish I could frame and put on my (currently bare) wall like, it’s really gorgeous and is so unique