real time web analytics
Report - - Heapey Pumping Station, Lancashire : November 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heapey Pumping Station, Lancashire : November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Heapey Pumping Station

Recently, I went for a week away to the Lake District. Perfect excuse to have a look at some pins on the way there. A few weeks before I went, I spent many an hour searching for pumping stations along the route I would be taking. Marked them all and made the plan. The majority aren't worth mentioning, but this one was a surprise. Heapey pumping station is marked on maps as far back as 1888. It shows the station with an overflow well nearby also. As for history, that's as much as I can give. There were some papers inside the building from the 80s where calibrations and checks were completed. The latest entry was a substation inspection report which was dated November 2012

Inside the station were two electric motors, built by Electric Construction Company, who were based in Wolverhampton. They built electric pumps and motors from 1888 through to 1985 when they became part of the Hawker Siddeley Group, and the factory in Wolverhampton was subsequently demolished. The electric motors were driving Glenfield pumps. The motors and pumps were laid on older concrete bases which had plates from Frank Pearn & Co, suggesting there were some older engines in there supplied by that company at some point in the past.
I like how they were laid out, one each side with its own individual light above. An 11,000 volt transformer was also inside.

Capture445.PNG

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Really interesting this. Worked on heapey service reservoir right next to this many times and never noticed it. I assume that the newer service reservoir must have replaced this pumping station.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
That's nice that, the bit of lighting hitting that pump is great. I always hate boarded windows but came out nicely regardless.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow dude!
They are some truly beautiful images.
Thank you!
Absolutely gorgeous mate. What a find.
Thank you. You'd like this one.
Really interesting this. Worked on heapey service reservoir right next to this many times and never noticed it. I assume that the newer service reservoir must have replaced this pumping station.
I'm surprised you didn't notice it! Definitely give it a look if you're local.
That's nice that, the bit of lighting hitting that pump is great. I always hate boarded windows but came out nicely regardless.
Thank you. I'm glad they came out OK. I was apprehensive when I was taking them that they would all be crap due to the low light but as you say, it was quite effective.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This station is brilliant, I love the electric pumps and motors and the old light fixtures above. I'd definitely visit if I ever ended up that way.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Quite nice but what era are those pumps and light fixtures from?
To be honest I ain't too sure. I couldn't see a model number on the pumps or anything. I'd suspect probably late 50s or early 60s when all the older equipment in these stations were replaced with the electric bits. I may be totally wrong though. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
To be honest I ain't too sure. I couldn't see a model number on the pumps or anything. I'd suspect probably late 50s or early 60s when all the older equipment in these stations were replaced with the electric bits. I may be totally wrong though. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
They look similar to the pumps in the Essex station, they were late forties. But for these I would imagine they were installed at the same time as the transformer in 1957. But don't know for certain.