real time web analytics
Report - - High Royds Hospital, Nee Menston Asylum April 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - High Royds Hospital, Nee Menston Asylum April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Firstly may I just say if you don't like photos of tiles, best click the "back" button...

It's been almost nine years since I first had a wander over to Menston to try my luck at High Royds, for the umteenth time. Lady luck smiled on me that day, I had timed my visit to coincide perfectly with the first corridor demolition. For the first time an explorer had been presented with virtually walk in access to what was then the holy grail of asylum exploring!

After posting it up every asylum lover worth his salt flocked, and rightly so. Not only was there a new asylum on the scene, but it was a belter. I only ever returned once more, the following week to crack the clock. Much debate ensued as to who was first up that clock, Dweeb & Turk, or Riddlers. Well the beauty of a huge clock face (that still runs I may add) when photographed is that it time stamps your photo perfectly, proving Turk and I were first by about 4 hours :)

Other than digging holes in near by fields for asylum buttons and crockery I had never really been bothered about returning, however Cat had a desire to see it and so whilst up north we swung by to see how the old place was faring up.

I must say it's in surprisingly great shape after almost a decade on the scene. Some damp here and there but that had removed much of the paint that was covering up lavish Minton tiles found throughout the hospital. As you can see, I took A LOT of pictures of those tiles!! Funny really, so much of the place has been converted, but all the bits I enjoyed the most on my original visit are virtually as they were nine years ago.

DSC_0095_zpswjxnyudt.jpg

DSC_0092_zpsnyriy5bw.jpg

DSC_0111_zps4g7ccqaa.jpg

DSC_0091_zpsvexxqo9l.jpg

DSC_0117_zps44zhp08v.jpg
DSC_0146_zpsprs6d7gv.jpg

DSC_0122_zps8fggqmyg.jpg

DSC_0134_zpso0upuu6h.jpg

DSC_0141_zpsg5tpzcjz.jpg
DSC_0158_zpszu8xnxq9.jpg

DSC_0131_zpsj7f96buj.jpg

DSC_0151_zpsusd4fg3d.jpg

DSC_0123_zpshi7njsnv.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsix8jfywc.jpg

DSC_0048_zpssdwtvgqw.jpg

DSC_0043_zps0vljkmwm.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsprvrsddj.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsoqlovtsq.jpg

DSC_0057_zpsptk5jfvj.jpg
DSC_0059_zpsfguwqido.jpg

DSC_0065_zps4dox010d.jpg
DSC_0060_zps0kd5bmsd.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsounfb7kp.jpg
DSC_0067_zpsa6e5ozui.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsp2lce4bm.jpg

DSC_0081_zpsn4wwz0bz.jpg

DSC_0078_zpswquzvcnb.jpg
DSC_0086_zpspd4ihtmk.jpg

Pest

Read comics and sleep all day, = no worries
28DL Full Member
Demolition? I thought this place was Grade II Listed.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Demolition? I thought this place was Grade II Listed.

They knocked down quite a few of the corridors and later additions to the original hospital in 2006 - 2008

Pest

Read comics and sleep all day, = no worries
28DL Full Member
They knocked down quite a few of the corridors and later additions to the original hospital in 2006 - 2008
At least its not the older part of the hospital. :)

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Despite seeing many reports from here this has to be on of the best I've seen…but hey i do love tiles too.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah and we were there the night you cracked it, scoping it out and sleeping in the car in the Harry Ramsdens car park, and at dawn dodging workmen, and finding loads of windows unlocked, it could have been cracked years beforehand really.

Still looks fantastic, maybe better now the paint is coming off the tiles.

Nice work.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I think High Royds had the most lavish corridors and admin of any of the asylums I saw. Most Hine asylums had a few green Minton tiles in the administration building but not full mosaic floors and tiled walls throughout the whole hospital. Even the lesser corridors in Royds had tiled boarders rather than the usual glazed brick.It's still well worth seeing if you've not already been guys...