real time web analytics
HMP Noranside, Angus, Scotland - June 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

HMP Noranside, Angus, Scotland - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Growing up not too far from here I have know about this place for a long time. Since it closed its always been on the list, but its always the ones on my door step that get brushed aside. I don't get back up north as much as I would like to so its always the new places or the ones that don't have long left that take priority.

I first visited some time last year, late in the day after another explore and did the most half assed recce ever. I went back in January after one of my many visits to Sunnyside and thought it was my lucky day. Lots of open doors! The light was fading so got some externals, went to have a look inside the buildings - all locked up! Very strange. I eventually realised someone was walking around the site and decided to bail. Fast forward to June and I am back again with prettyvacant71 and we decided to swing by for a look on our way to do the bits of Sunnyside we have both missed. Sometimes it just takes a second pair of eyes but we managed to get in eventually, with great difficulty. I didn't think we would be long there, but we were both pretty shocked at how nice this place was inside.

I have tried to look up the history but its all a bit patchy. The main admin block, Noranside House, is believed to date back to the 1830's. The site wasn't always a prison, it has been both a borstal and a sanatorium at some point. The prison closed in 2011.

Some externals taken in January just before sunset:

llAFUQPh.jpg

bSzBUHTh.jpg

9sIxLV3h.jpg

jY7W5vNh.jpg

y9oRvoPh.jpg

O2KXdrVh.jpg

H05OUesh.jpg

Internal pics from the main cell block:

rrhtknzh.jpg

53NAVyMh.jpg

wmX6VKkh.jpg

eG0XiQIh.jpg

VanWtTwh.jpg

bXBkkWah.jpg

kqjS0Q9h.jpg

LcMLKuYh.jpg

rzrpbLCh.jpg

jnPMxlAh.jpg

JQWVJSCh.jpg

3Nxm5Hph.jpg

YhViU9Fh.jpg

tj9YMQih.jpg

gHJcx80h.jpg

Es6CrzSh.jpg

nPgfs0Hh.jpg

Sports hall and gym:

2WMoFzFh.jpg

3StkDJ5h.jpg

mDaRqUsh.jpg

wOErenXh.jpg

17otL50h.jpg

Co5kEnjh.jpg

Continued...

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Continued…

YV8jRARh.jpg

wP73CxVh.jpg

9nm0ZcVh.jpg

A few shots from the workshop areas:

3rrkVPhh.jpg

GAhU2NDh.jpg

tOshiJlh.jpg

Noranside House. This was a very pleasant surprise. 3 lovely staircases, beautiful fireplaces, not at all what I was expecting:

Zt1c1wrh.jpg

u42o3aRh.jpg

mIrii9ih.jpg

4IOV6LEh.jpg

WdEoQhhh.jpg

1GtXUUTh.jpg

DOpNNMSh.jpg

Jl1LDqdh.jpg

7k0KAGSh.jpg

This was the only graffiti we saw. I edited some out, then I gave up because I quickly remembered I hate editing!

OB5v8soh.jpg

Z1Ulxroh.jpg

A lot of empty rooms, these two were the nicest so the only ones I will bother posting:

G6VW97vh.jpg

7JSy9tGh.jpg

Ggheljgh.jpg

puq7KDgh.jpg

Kitchen and Canteen:

7FtsGONh.jpg

vMOZAb2h.jpg

qMRf5KOh.jpg

And finally a couple of pics from the boiler house:

9c9eR7qh.jpg

m14EeAeh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Awesome to see inside, remember you telling me about this one last year but was all sealed in November. Might have to give it another look this coming November!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Awesome to see inside, remember you telling me about this one last year but was all sealed in November. Might have to give it another look this coming November!
Yeah it was great to get it done, really didn’t expect it to be so nice! Let me know before you go mate, I will be back home around then so can swing by and check it for you, saves you the wasted journey if it’s a no go. It’s only a 15min drive from my parents. I will send you a few other places too!

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's one of the nicest derp prisons ive seen, far more dated architecture than most with some cool features. Cheers for sharing :)

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s a shame, will prob give it a quick check on route to Sunnyside anyway
Yeah if you are in the area anyway have a look, it’s been open and closed quite a few times over the last year so you might get lucky!

Hmp-Caver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like a decent place tbh, Looks like a Cat D Open Prison tbh, or a lax Cat C :/ The layout is almost similar to the Sex Offender wings at the place I worked at, rather than the Larger Res Wings. still great pics! Shame to see the locking mechanisms gone though :/ wonder if they had the traka room and C&R Ready room somewhere :/