real time web analytics
Report - - Hoffmann Lime Kiln - Ilkeston, Derbyshire - July 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hoffmann Lime Kiln - Ilkeston, Derbyshire - July 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

fastchrisuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not a fan of Google but one thing they do well is Maps. Scouting around Ilkeston in Google Maps revealed an unusual pill shaped building in the middle of a wooded area in Ilkeston. Further investigation made it irresistable to go take a look.

I'm built for comfort and not as slender as I used to be but I managed t squeeze through the galvanised pallisade fence. Despite tearing clothes, bruising my ego as well as my shoulder I managed to bag the following shots.

The Hoffmann Continuous kiln was patented in 1858 by its German inventor Friedrich Hoffmann. Limestone was burned continuously in a circuit around the kiln and it took an average of six weeks for one whole circuit.

The kiln is lined with firebricks to withstand the intense heat. Behind the firebricks is a limestone rubble core, which helped to keep the heat in. In the roof are the small chutes down which crushed coal was dropped to keep the limestone burning. At floor level in the walls are the flue holes. Air was drawn from the outside under the burning limestone and the smoke went up the central core of the kiln to the chimney. Iron dampers on the roof allowed workers to regulate the draught in the flue system.

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln1.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln2.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln3.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln4.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln5.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln6.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln7.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln8.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln9.jpg

Ilkeston-Hofmann-Lime-Kiln10.jpg

tigger

mog
Regular User
The Hoffmann Continuous kiln was patented in 1858 by its German inventor Friedrich Hoffmann. Limestone was burned continuously in a circuit around the kiln

...though in this case it's a brick kiln and not a lime kiln. One of several kilns that formed part of the Oakwell Brickworks. There are also other bits and pieces to be found relating to a couple of the other kilns.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's a fully intact one at Prestongrange Colliery in Scotland although it's fenced off, and another one in a similar condition to this one in South Wales near Port Talbot too