real time web analytics
Report - - How To Build A Nissen Hut - 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - How To Build A Nissen Hut - 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not sure Ill get away with this as but this may be of interest to some of you.

Im guessing as you are looking at this site you know what a Nissen hut is? Ok Ill assume you do & you know what one looks like but for reference here is some nicely photographed by @Mikeymutt

Iv run an structural & architectural steelworks for a fair while now & while its generally pretty dull occasionally something comes along that is a but different. Having been in many a nissen hut as Im sure most of you have I was quite excited when this dropped on my desk.
Anyway like a long distance runner with a split personality Im getting ahead of myself now.

Nissen huts were developed during the First World War by Major Peter Norman Nissen of the 29th Company, Royal Engineers. The design was formalized after three prototypes were constructed in April 1916. At least 100,000 were produced in World War 1. Nissen patented his design in 1916. For this work he was promoted to Colonel, awarded the DSO (Distinguished Service Order) and paid royalties on the sale of huts after the war. Many huts were used as temporary housing after the Second World War.

So how do we get involved? an inquiry arrives from a client that wants 2 replica nissen huts to stand where 2 originally stood on ex military land, but these 2 are to be houses (for the clients parents & inlaws) we win the quote then this is passed on to myself for drawing.
We are not structural engineers so the basic design & section sizes have been specified by someone else, this is the drawing we receive

51682639488_4c64dcff97_c.jpg

From this I essentially redraw the same thing in a 3d cad package (tekla structures), this needs to be done for 2 reasons
1 - to produce 2d drawings fabrication shop can read & produce steel members from
2 - (& this is now slightly controversial) to satisfy CE marking the European standard to which we are a complying company.

the 3 d modelling process looks like this.

51682382566_f25a24facc_c.jpg

From this I can produce 3d drawings along with plans, elevations & any details to send to client.

51683052694_62cd5156e9_c.jpg

I then produce 2d drawings for our fabrication shop & in this case for the section benders. unfortunately there are few places in the UK that can now bend steel beams to your requirements & we are not one of them so this element of the work is done out house.

51682382341_a2b6a0012a_c.jpg

Once we receive the oversize curved members its down to our fabrication crew to cut these & weld on all plates etc to match my drawing.
The completed members then go through our paint process & await erection.

Now as well as being manager its true that I like a good erection! Iv been erecting most my life tbh so a bit of a coincidence left me with the task of erecting our first hut today which secretly I really wanted to do lol.
We did this using our rather superb HIAB lorry which can lift around 1T at 18.5m so this was nothing to it,
We started by assembling the curved members to their short vertical sections on the floor, then lifted the first frame onto pre installed holding down bolts.

51683272125_0e3bd4f308_c.jpg

The frames were tied together with cold rolled material (the sort of thing you see holding roof sheets in a factory unit) but alarmingly had no lateral bracing, so was all a bit "swayey" as I found out while climbing on it to tighten bolts. anyway just like mechano as they say this is the rest of the building going up.

51683271830_3ee573088d_c.jpg

51683054009_dd97bfe257_c.jpg

And the completed steel frame, not bad for 4hr work for 2 of us

51681586922_24c083307a_c.jpg

51682383471_7426076fb6_c.jpg

51683053294_58ff00644f_c.jpg

51683053159_94aa377a70_c.jpg

51683053544_8520c1643e_c.jpg

So I was quite pleased with that until I read this...Nissen Huts came in three sizes: 16ft, 24ft and 30ft (width). The 16ft span usually had 6 bays, making an overall length of 36ft 6 ½ inches, though due to the design and construction they could be made up of any number of bays. They were cheap and easy to put up. A 16ft hut could be put up in 6 hours by 4 men. The record is 1 hour and 27 minutes.

Ill now go & drown my sorrows, but I will try & get some pics of this when its finished for u all.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice that. And very interesting. It's surprising how many people still find in gardens. Thanks for quoting my post as well, some of them were quite enormous. Hope they will make nice homes, and would like to see some pics when finished if you can.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice that. And very interesting. It's surprising how many people still find in gardens. Thanks for quoting my post as well, some of them were quite enormous. Hope they will make nice homes, and would like to see some pics when finished if you can.

Searching the forum for nissen & your post comes up first
as mentioned there was so many made it was ridiculous but Im bettering there hasnt been many made in the last few years so I am proud to be a part of it

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
Is the straight section at the bottom to gain height? Nissen's curve to floor level by design.
An interesting project as most 'new' Nissen's I can think of have used original style supports instead of the much beefier ones in your build (but none of the builds I can think of have a primary purpose as a dwelling). Must be an interesting project to be managing.

Will be great to see the finished structures.

The original patent drawings are available as well as more modern CAD-based drawings for all three span sizes from Defence Estates

@Mikeymutt - do you have any more deatiled photos of the cemented asbestos hutting shown in the refered report?

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Searching the forum for nissen & your post comes up first
as mentioned there was so many made it was ridiculous but Im bettering there hasnt been many made in the last few years so I am proud to be a part of it
Yeah it is definitely something to be proud off for sure. Sadly not many sites now with so many on. Rivenhall has a nice selection as well. Hopefully they will be pleased with the results.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Is the straight section at the bottom to gain height? Nissen's curve to floor level by design.
An interesting project as most 'new' Nissen's I can think of have used original style supports instead of the much beefier ones in your build (but none of the builds I can think of have a primary purpose as a dwelling). Must be an interesting project to be managing.

The original patent drawings are available as well as more modern CAD-based drawings for all three span sizes from Defence Estates

@Mikeymutt - do you have any more deatiled photos of the cemented asbestos hutting shown in the refered report?
These are all I took on this visit. I have visited before so may have one from a the previous visit.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

yes I think the straight section was to gain height or more to gain head room so you are at no point banging head on curve.
I believe they originally asked for this from a Tee section but this wouldnt structurally work to meet todays standards hence why it was changed to a beam section.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
That is a dam smart erection mate !! I would love you to come over mine with it ! I Can think of plenty of good uses for that :gay

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As a civil engineer, this is absolutely fascinating, thank you for sharing!! Its incredible the speed at which these were churned out during the way, but I suppose practice makes perfect!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As a civil engineer, this is absolutely fascinating, thank you for sharing!! Its incredible the speed at which these were churned out during the way, but I suppose practice makes perfect!

Yeah Im guessing the erection time during war was fully sheeted too, though they didnt have health & safety slowing them down!

Who has read this thread (Total: 152) View details