real time web analytics
Report - - Hutton Ironstone Mine, Guisborough - May 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hutton Ironstone Mine, Guisborough - May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Living only a few miles from Guisborough, being born in a mining village and having a significant number of male ancestors who worked in the ironstone mines in the area, it was only a matter of time before I found myself poking around in some old ironstone workings. Most of the village mines in East Cleveland are based around deep shafts but there are still a number that operated on a drift basis - Hutton is one of these and can still be accessed if you're determined (and are prepared to breathe in during the initial stages) - it's well worth the effort, as I hope my photos show.

Some history

There's very little in terms of literature out there regarding ironstone workings in Guisborough, even though the area is criss-crossed and pockmarked by sinkholes, drifts, culverts, shafts, powder houses and the like.

The majority of mines in this area were worked by JW Pease & Co, chasing the 3' main seam and a smaller 1'-4" seam that permeated the shale and stone that makes up the geology of this area. Hutton Mines is apparently a generic catchall name for a group of smaller mines that were set up in the area, although the one we're talking about here is very close to Hutton Village itself.

First recorded output of these mines was in 1853 and the mines were only worked for fourteen years, recording their last output in 1867 - therefore these mines have been abandoned for 150 years and it shows!

Hutton Mine was served by a branch of the Middlesbrough/Guisborough railway and ran up an incline to the drift entrance. The stone was calcined (as in so many other local ironstone mines, particularly Rosedale) before loading into trucks and being lowered down the incline. Very little trace of this remains nowadays.

The mines were worked in typical bord/pillar fashion, leaving some truly spectacular cavernous spaces deep inside the mine where the pillars were removed, leaving the roof to the whims of Mother Nature.

The state of the mine

Once inside, you drop down a steep little incline and are met with water immediately - you then join the main drift through a small rock cutting. From this point on, you're largely walking through spacious (head-height or better) tunnels and caverns. There has been a significant amount of roof fall in many of the spaces, with water ingress well evident in many places. Some of the original timbers/props are in place and there is at least one old tramway rail still evident (I managed to come out without a shot of that though - doh!). It's obvious where some of the older workings were deliberately collapsed once they were worked out. Equally, you can see areas where the sleepers were salvaged for use as either support or for tracks elsewhere in the mine. These workings cover a huge area and I hope the photos do them justice.

Enough yak, on with the photos

I make no apologies for the number of photos here - it was a truly spectacular exploration and I intend going back in a week or two to grab some more! I didn't get many of some of the spectacular roof-falls and cave-ins, or a decent one of the actual entrance incline so keep your eyes peeled for a follow-up report at some point:

IMG_2594.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg
IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2605.jpg
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2610.jpg
IMG_2612.jpg
IMG_2613.jpg
IMG_2614.jpg
IMG_2615.jpg
IMG_2616.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg

There you have it - thanks for reading!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Another beauty mate. Nice one again ;)

Sure it's on my hidden teeside list of stuff to do lo

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Kwan - that shot is now my desktop background as it's my favourite too.
Reflux: cheers.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Kwan - that shot is now my desktop backgroundas it's my favourite too.

Reflux: cheers.

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Always wondered when someone would stick their heads down one of those holes in Guisborough woods.

Being a Guisborough lad myself, me and my school mates always used to wonder what was down there back in the day but we never dared go in :gay

Looks fucking ace :thumb Top work :thumb

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
:D Cheers Kaplan - I've been poking around in the old jet mines up in the woods too and will probably stick a report up on them at some point - could do with a return visit to them to grab a couple more shots though.

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report Mutagen, and it's great to see something new!

Ironstone mines photograph so well.. Such nice colours.

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
That looks pretty special with all those lovely colours. Top quality photos there and decent write up too :thumb

bertbanger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
mint photos that, deffo need to check it out, there arent any poisonous gasses down there i assume

hawkwind

28DL Member
28DL Member
Excellent photo's, I have been down some of these when I was younger in the 80's, me and my mates used to think we were Rambo and light sticks to give us light, but mostly chocked. Never thought twice about going in them then, but not now. There was a big lake down one, mates found it but I never got to it.

Dirac

28DL Member
28DL Member
Concerning the last record of output being in 1867, I have family listing ironstone worker (below ground) as their occupation in 1891 and 1901 census. They were living in Belmont Terrace along with others giving the same occupation.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Concerning the last record of output being in 1867, I have family listing ironstone worker (below ground) as their occupation in 1891 and 1901 census. They were living in Belmont Terrace along with others giving the same occupation.

Lots of other mines in the immediate area that were worked until the 1960s.