real time web analytics
Report - - Inhospitable, Manchester - May 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Inhospitable, Manchester - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Inhospitable is a culverted part of the Moston Brook, downstream from Processor.

1f12f1.jpg

About 30 metres into the brick and stone culvert there is a small brick pipe which once served a CSO. This has now been blocked by sand, preventing access.

2e04d6.jpg

The first main feature we arrive at is the brook overflow chamber with a large penstock. This allows excess water to be diverted to the River Irk via an outfall culvert (The Works), which I have covered in a previous report.

334581.jpg

Further downstream from here is a short piece of RCP which connects to a circular concrete chamber.

55aa20.jpg

75e30f.jpg

98fe04.jpg

11c7a59.jpg

1312b30.jpg

The pipe continues further for about 25 metres, awkwardly narrower than before making this stretch a bit of a stoop / crawl. This leads to a larger circular concrete chamber which houses a screening system.

1566384.jpg

17350a0.jpg

19d5f8d.jpg

From here I made my way back to the brook culvert and continued downstream for a bit, eventually turning around and heading back to the infall.

Last edited:

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for this report. I thought the brick egg was further downstream, past the big japanese gong thingimibob, but from your pics/report it seems not far from where one would first walk into inhospitable, a short distance from the outfall of processor, this is what I recall Siologen typing in one of his reports?

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Nice one mate. That couple of inches of sand prevented access to the side pipe? Man up kidda! ;)

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for this report. I thought the brick egg was further downstream, past the big japanese gong thingimibob, but from your pics/report it seems not far from where one would first walk into inhospitable, a short distance from the outfall of processor, this is what I recall Siologen typing in one of his reports?
Yes the brick egg is before the Japanese gong, however I didn't cover the entire culvert on this visit so I'm not sure whether or not there's another further downstream.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers moako, clears it up for me,presumably the sand is to stop any flow into the brook?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That sand is right odd, must be recent and must have been lumped in there, that overflow is small and no way it's 'come from the foul line'

6.jpg

Myself and @Nickindroy did that upgraded bit when they were building it, we named it "Billy's Chippy" just never got around to doing anything with the pics, one day...

Good effort and some decent pics, that flow is minimal and the lowest I've seen it for years at the infall :thumb

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That sand is right odd, must be recent and must have been lumped in there, that overflow is small and no way it's 'come from the foul line'

6.jpg

Myself and @Nickindroy did that upgraded bit when they were building it, we named it "Billy's Chippy" just never got around to doing anything with the pics, one day...

Good effort and some decent pics, that flow is minimal and the lowest I've seen it for years at the infall :thumb
Cheers mate, yeah that sand is annoying but I'm guessing it was put there to stop leakage.

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers moako, clears it up for me,presumably the sand is to stop any flow into the brook?
No probs mate, from what I've read it used to leak a lot so I'm presuming the sand has been put there to stop it.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It used to leak because the penstock was broken preventing the line to continue downstream so the resulting raw sewage would just continue down the overflow instead and into the brook, hence why it was so grim until about 2009/10 when it was finally fixed; and when I say fixed all they did was shift the f00ked penstock out of the flow and wedge it back, they should have just removed it as there is a convenient manhole in that chamber!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Hardly professional to lob some sand in to stop it, unless it's a temporary measure.

temp measure would = sandbags down manhole and shore up the existing overflow, hasten to add, the downstream upgrade "Billy's Chippy" is what has superseded this overflow anyway, except they 'forgot' to properly block it off preventing further unsatisfactory intermittent discharges, tut tut ;)

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
temp measure would = sandbags down manhole and shore up the existing overflow, hasten to add, the downstream upgrade "Billy's Chippy" is what has superseded this overflow anyway, except they 'forgot' to properly block it off preventing further unsatisfactory intermittent discharges, tut tut ;)

Also, do they not snag the contractors work? Would anyone be happy with a job being left like this?

rHyeYlf.jpg