real time web analytics
Report - - Kings' Scholars Pond Sewer (aka River Tyburn), London 2018 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kings' Scholars Pond Sewer (aka River Tyburn), London 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
That's how a report should be done. Less cringe more ginge please!

Thanks - it's drains, man and I like 'em (can you tell?) I also like researching them, particularly london ones, combining everything online I can 'easily' find! It's a challenge though, not just finding it once but remembering where you found it!

The_Raw

Staff member
Thanks - it's drains, man and I like 'em (can you tell?) I also like researching them, particularly london ones, combining everything online I can 'easily' find! It's a challenge though, not just finding it once but remembering where you found it!

Yeah fair play mate, and considering you don't live in London, that's a great effort you've put in to see it all. I need to get out more!

mockney reject

Staff member
@mockney reject - soz I forgot about your comment last night - it's disappeared now? I was well stressed trying to put three pages of photo's together and having to resize some of them as I went and thought no-one else will be up at that time. Trust you to be - thanks though! As i said on that slime thread, some sections are worse than others. You've gotta try it once, no?

Just the pics make me feel wheezy lol lol

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Beyond that is another oddity: a 2m high reverse tumbling bay. This allows only heavy and sustained storm flows to get up it and then continue on down the rest of the KSPS. Although the Mid Level is the work of Mr Bazalgette, I don’t think this apparent sump (unless it is original)

I still want to find out more about that staircase/ sump setup thing. The more I think about it, the more I think perhaps it was original and JB's work

Ok, so this lot also bugged me after I posted my lot up too a few years back, however I never gave it much thought afterwards until you questioned it with me the other night and it's been chewed over since on here

Thankfully (and all credit to JD) for pointing out the answer to this lot, makes sense when you actually look again at the layout. I'll re-post a couple of your pics below to help visualise what I have since read and try to highlight the changes

Top of Staircase, notice the shape and height of the crown..

TG1.jpg

Also notice the same height and shape of the crown looking back from the sump

TG4.jpg

The station has seen several major reconstructions. The first, which saw the original lifts replaced by escalators, a new sub-surface ticket hall and a new façade to the station, designed by the architect Charles Holden, came into use on 8 June 1926. This was demolished with the construction of the "West One" shopping arcade in the 1980s, a period that had also seen the Jubilee Line services to this station commence on 1 May 1979. Some slight elements of the original facade do survive above the eastern entrance to the station.

So taking all that into consideration from the below modifications to Bond Street Station circa 1926, it's fair to say it was chopped into and dropped in height to accommodate the new ticket hall

Pre and post sump the shape and height of the tunnel crowns are almost identical; obv taking into account the difference in invert levels

The tumbling bay/staircase runs right next to the 1980's West One Shopping arcade which replaced this lot

KSP2.png

I always thought the staircase was original (turns out it isn’t) just wasn’t convinced with the sumped section, at least that’s cleared up now​

tallginge

Regular User
Now then, some proper drain talk and lol clear as muck this lot! So JD said the sump made way for the new ticket then? Cool ok.

That last pic, looking down the stairs (and upstream) was also what initially made me think it wasn't original, too, along with the noticeably steeper approach from the other side. That brick arch oddly stops abruptly at concrete doesn't it? Also, most tumbling bays (going downhill with the flow at least) have a sloping roof, this one carries on. I wonder why they left that small section, that carries on, alone instead of replacing it, if they did all that other work? Surely propping it up while it was dug out for the new 'sump' and it concreted underneath 'the original' brickwork would've been more effort? Unless there's something above it and they couldn't? Presumably the connection to the ML1 used to be from higher up as well, then, if the sump didn't used to exist? Is the connection into the ML1 the same at all? Did the flow get diverted down the ML2 while this was all being done? It'd been built so that's feasible. What if it fucked it down with rain between interceptors midway through the 'sumps' construction? How big a part did that other smaller dropshaft play in all this? Does it lead to the side staircase by the cast iron penstock, that was only an assumption, we would've got soaked trying to find out from either end! And finally, what used to happen at this corner, barely 50m downstream? There's a patched up section, an open section still and a new invert or a different type of brick at least. Photo looking downstream.

45976777141_6847c39179_z.jpg

For the record the pumping station at the very end wasn't where I originally described it in my thread. The pic was taken at the end of Tachbrook Street, by the LL1 infall and them four overflow flaps and it probably is the original connection to it. The LL1 is considerably further inland than in most other 'lost rivers' and the pumping station was right next to The Thames. It would've needed to be so when the tide was very high they could close the penstocks and pump out storm flows from the area pictured (that the old boys are in) into it, to prevent the local area from flooding. Remember this is before the Thames Barrier was built, pumping stations were more common then.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
What I wanna know is, who put all the fibre in down there, I did read it was done by robots, but I am not so sure now....it's not like robots can read a drain map, and think F88k, we have cocked up and should have put the wires in that junction or on the other side. Cheers, a good report.

A computer controlled robot called SAM, (Sewer Access Module) fitted with cctv and laser guiding installs the clamps and then using a different head installs the conduit. Once that has been laid down fibre is ‘blown’ through said conduit from above ground

tallginge

Regular User
It seems they're not all actually used. Look at the top two on the pic after the tw works above the huge tumbling bay. They just stop and are empty. Bit strange that they'd start but not finish something

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I’ve removed the above few comments as I don’t think it’s going to do any of us any favours in the long run :thumb

tallginge

Regular User
NP's no good for this sort of stuff though is it, man? Thinking outside the exploring community here and how they might be able to contribute, however unlikely that may be.

Who has read this thread (Total: 335) View details