real time web analytics
Report - - Laddus Fen Pumping Station, Cambridgeshire : July 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Laddus Fen Pumping Station, Cambridgeshire : July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Laddus Fen Pumping Station

A small one from a few months back. I think it’s report worthy. Others may not, feel free to voice your opinions below.

This was a fair ol’ walk (like many of the others) and was one of two pumping stations on this path that we looked at, the other being called March Fen, sadly it was sealed. March Fen was around 3 times the size of this, so it holds some lovely bits and pieces no doubt. But I guess we will never know.

Laddus Fen is featured in KSG Hindes wonderful Fenland Pumping Engines book which Dan purchased. The book states “this fen lies between Waldersea IDB (internal drainage board) and the old course of the River Nene. The Coldham Estate owns this fen. It was sold to them by the Cooperative Wholesale Society in 1916”

According to the book, there was a wind pump on site, called Coldham White Mill, which stood on the north bank of the Old River Nene. It was removed in 1860 and in 1877, a 12hp Armitage & Ruston steam engine was installed. This engine was replaced in the mid 1930s. By the 1950s, a four-cylinder Ruston vertical engine had been installed. This has now sadly been removed. It was still in place in 2002 as shown in the photographs for the book. (Thanks to Dan for sending over the photos too!)

A Mather & Platt electric motor now sits in its place. The motor runs at 730rpm and produces 50hp, and around 34kw. The station is still active. There is an electric control board on the wall, still illuminated and with a counter. It just happened to be unlocked so we had a look.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Manufacturers plate on the new electric motor

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Lovely old crane hanging from the roof

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

The pumping station in 2002

creeksNOTCREEKS.PNG

creeladus.PNG

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out pretty decent in the end. Was nice to get in here but was disappointed to see the engine had been removed. Some nice original features though like the crane hook and the Runwell hand pump. As I guess I would say the old wind pump was just south of this station where we saw that old outlet going into the river and that pile of rubble.

IMG_0712.jpg

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out pretty decent in the end. Was nice to get in here but was disappointed to see the engine had been removed. Some nice original features though like the crane hook and the Runwell hand pump. As I guess I would say the old wind pump was just south of this station where we saw that old outlet going into the river and that pile of rubble.

IMG_0712.jpg
Oh yeah forgot we cleaned all that out! Correct, looking on old OS maps, the windpump was on that channel.