real time web analytics
Report - - Lostock Power Station, Northwich, Cheshire - August 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lostock Power Station, Northwich, Cheshire - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
Being a fairly small private power station there isn't a lot of history available online about this particular site. It was constructed in the 1950s by Imperial Chemical Industries to supply heat and electricity to their chemical works next door, still in operation by TATA Chemicals. The station was originally oil fired but later converted to coal with the boilers providing steam to a pair of 6.25mw Richardson Westgarth turbines. The building closed in 2000 after a modern gas power power station in Winnington was commissioned. Other then the demolition of the twin brick chimneys, the whole power station was left to decay after closure, an unusual occurrence in this county, where a swift demolition of a site like this is the norm. There has been lots of talk of demolition over the years but it wasn't until 2018 that asbestos removal from the dilapidated building began in preparation for the destruction of this rare survivor. Although the boiler house has been razed to the ground, the turbine hall still stands with very little change.

The Explore
I first visited the site one morning in June last year, the light was poor and I didn't get long to look around before demolition workers began to arrive at around 7am. I wanted to get back to take some better photos and have a proper look around but it would be well over a year before I managed to revisit the place. Although the boiler house has now gone entirely, it's always been the turbine hall which has been the real gem here and I was very glad to see barely any changes to it, in fact it was probably better this time round as all the stuff used by the asbestos removal teams has disappeared.

_DSC1970 3.jpg

The exterior of the building in March 2019, showing the boiler house. The turbine hall is in a detached building behind, linked by a first floor walkway

_DSC8394 3.jpg

I only managed to grab a few quick snaps of the boiler house last year as the site was beginning to get quite active

_DSC8395 3.jpg

_DSC7448_edited 3.jpg

The ground level of the turbine hall

_DSC7450 3.jpg

This area on the ground floor would have contained the feed pumps

_DSC7458_edited 3.jpg

The two Richardson Westgarth turbines

_DSC7468_edited 3.jpg

_DSC7471_edited 3.jpg

Small control room

_DSC8386 3.jpg

Dials in 2019, they're not looking so good nowadays

_DSC7474_edited 3.jpg

_DSC7486_edited 3.jpg

The turbine hall from the gantry crane

_DSC7490 3.jpg

Walking across the gantry crane isn't exactly a good idea. The wooden boards are all buggered so you have to carefully shuffle across on the steel beams and drive shaft, it's manageable but you wouldn't want to fall off the thing

_DSC7497 3.jpg

_DSC8367 3.jpg

The same view in June 2019

_DSC7494 3.jpg

_DSC7480_edited 3.jpg

_DSC7504 3.jpg

_DSC7517 3.jpg

_DSC7525_edited 3.jpg

_DSC7531_edited 3.jpg

_DSC7533 3.jpg

_DSC7536 3.jpg

_DSC7543 3.jpg

_DSC7501_edited 3.jpg

The site of the boiler house, with the limekilns of the operational works behind

_DSC7548_edited 3.jpg

_DSC7550_edited 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
I was shocked to see this pop up, thought all of it went. Nice pics. Might do a trip to winny and have this as back up soon.

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
Good job someone removed all that tape from around the turbines to make it look better :p
That gantry crane is proper sketchy - I only managed one pic from up there.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice this, despite you saying lack of history online, youve done a blinding job on this. Really nice set of snaps too. Good stuff TD :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 313) View details