real time web analytics
Report - - Majestic Culverts - July 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Majestic Culverts - July 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
CulvertStreetef50b.jpg

Personally I think Culvert Street could make a fantastic modern rival to Sesame Street.

I hadn’t managed to get out exploring for a couple of weeks and wanted to do something with a bit of northern charm. I knew @elhomer12 was up this neck of the woods and since he’d done the notable Medlock culverts downstream, we hooked up to do the notable culverts upstream. Cracking to meet up with another drainer again, having originally met on Punk’s Megatron excursion.

I'll mix history, facts and shenanigans for this explore, if you don't mind ;).

The Majestic Culverts are a series of three culverts that set the Medlock River off on its way to becoming the well explored and documented stretch of water that flows from Strinesdale above Oldham to meet the River Irwell in Manchester.

The culverts are named after the mill that presides over the third culvert, the fact it was originally explored on coronation day, and because your crown jewels get a good dipping. Twice as it happens on this trip, in what I'm told would be known as a double dipper.

1-MajesticMill572fd.jpg

The mill looking up from the approach to the outflow of the final culvert.

In choosing my weapons, I selected wellies, as I wanted to recreate the experience of the original explorers Ojay and TLR.

The original water works is now occupied by the RSPCA. Elhomer and I checked the inflow and decided to make our way downstream to the outflow. There we were met by an outflow that would make the world limbo champion baulk at the thought of wriggling under. It was undeniably a stoopy start. A quick flash of the torch suggested it wasn’t going to be terribly far, but now would not be a good time to crack open the safety brews. We waddled awkwardly inward. My crown jewels got their first dipping of the proceedings. From here we explored upwards checking out the series of tributaries that connected to the main flow, before meeting the first inflow, a series of small waterfalls taking the excess from the reservoirs above us.

2-InsideMajestic57aa6.jpg

Making our way back down, the culvert is lined with stone blocks. There are a couple of pipes running from somewhere into the main flow. But fuck knows where from. All over would be my best guess.

3-second2a6cd.jpg

There is a very nice feature that follows; a pipe that creates a gushing waterfall from the ceiling of the culvert. Sadly my snaps did not come out because of water spray, so hopefully elhomer has a nice capture.

The stone lined culvert carries on until it reaches the newer (and considerably lower) brick extension.

4-EntertheStoope9040.jpg

It get's progressively smaller and smaller, like the room in Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But you are greeted with a beautiful outflow. Albeit it small. Size never matters.

5-TopPortalExit6e89e.jpg

And that was the end of culvert one. On to culvert two, which now runs under the school. I decided to walk along the river. Elhomer took the sensible option; walking along the embankment. I was stung, bitten and scratched walking down the river. But I kinda felt like I was in a jungle, so it's all good.

We went in the inflow this time, assuming the outflow would remain unblocked. This involved a climb down a surprisingly grippy (not slippy) but short waterfall, and into my first standing wellie breach (my limbo under the stoop of the first culvert had resulted in much water breach already). The water was warm though, so it was just like having a paddle.

6-Thenextstagefb9e1.jpg

A snap looking back up the inflow.

7-LookingBackb4fab.jpg

As others have said, the stone lined culvert has been subject to a sprinkling of spraycrete and this starts from, more or less, as soon as you enter the second culvert. It's fair enough I guess because it now supports an academy on top. Happily, some of the spraycrete is starting to form into prettier features. There seemed to be this perma-mist as well, which was fucking annoying.

8-PrettyConcretecf25c.jpg

It was again like Roald Dahl was penning our adventures, as the culvert shrunk and we started to stoop, the spraycrete masking the beauty of the stone. On we went, unable to drink our safety brews (of epic proportion).

We knew we'd hit the road that ran in front of the school when we discovered the first man hole. And this was a welcome respite from the second bout of stooping. Bit of a fucker to snap, but snapped all the same!

9-Out9c5ca.jpg

And then another nice couple of features a few meters up - a pipe waterfall and an older manhole.

10-ManholeTwocc486.jpg

So the story goes, you need a selfie to demonstrate scale. So here I am demonstrating scale without being narcissistic. This is one of my favorite features to be fair, where the stone lined arched culvert meets this awesome stonelined tube.

11-TheExplore47a03.jpg

The outflow of the second culvert was in sight, with two balls from the school caught in some branches. Time for a quick snap before heading off into deep silt and water for another dip of the crown jewels.

12-SecondExit7a294.jpg

Out of the second culvert we made our way to the final section, running under the mill. We weighed up the best plan of attack and while we were doing that a remarkably grey looking man collared us from the pub next to the inflow. He was so grey looking in fact his skin matched the plumes of smoke exhaling from his lungs. Death probably looks a lot healthier. "You're not going under that bridge are you", he sneered. Cheeky fucker. A short exchange followed where he mocked, "...and that's your hobby, is it?" Cheeky fucker. But he stopped sneering at the mention of cave spiders. He winced in fact. And he wasn't bothered we were going in, more perplexed because of, "the smell", and, "rats". But he gave a wry smile and a nod when I said, "It keeps out of trouble, well kinda". And off he scuttled back in the pub.

We made our way downstream and in the outflow, exploring the very interesting set of culverted sections that run under the mill. The first section is a bridge that has been modified to act as a culvert. This then morphs into rectangular stone lined sections supported by rusting beams. As you walk towards the outflow on the right is a sewer (notably so because of the toilet paper snagged at it's mouth). I'm quite surprised to find stuff like that connected to rivers. Really never would have thought it before exploring and reading the reports on here.

13-ThePooPipeeb81c.jpg

This carries on, with most of the water running through a central channel. A look back up towards the inflow.

14-UnderMajestic0373a.jpg

This section runs into one of the prettiest parts of the whole series (in my opinion); a brick and stone lined arched culvert.

15-BrickandStoned81c8.jpg

Elholmer working his magic.

16-Scott7b3f9.jpg

As we find our way towards the final outflow, the culvert changes shape and form again. Rusted beams support the concrete slabs above us, and a mix of concrete and stone hold them up.

17-LeadingOut0b395.jpg

And the final outflow of the day. Some silt (but not crown jewel dipping deep), a bit of a stoop, but not that bad. And that was that. A few hours spent exploring the best culverted sections at the top of the Medlock.

18-DecrepidVistab860a.jpg

We hadn't had chance really to crack open the safety brews until we got to the embankment. So we cracked them open at last and drank them on the way up to the inflow. A cracking evening explore in good company.

This report was brought to you by the letter M and the number 3.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

EOA :thumb

Last edited:

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Nice pics mate, just finished exporting mine so I'll put my own report up in a day or so :thumb

Reactions: EOA

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Really enjoyed reading this report. Great write up and photographs. Looks like a fun and interesting trip :thumb

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Now then..

The 1927 great flood of Oldham, one of P.S Stotts finest mills (Orb now demolished) home to I.C.I and Hestair & Hope, F.W Dixon's Majestic Mill of Lancashire Cotton Corporation and Courtaulds fame, st00ping, crawling, getting soaked & dunking the crown jewels, I name that culvert Majestic, what's not to like ;)

..Oh and that 12ft section which needs a better pic someday

18.jpg

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Quality report @EOA :thumb

One of my favourite local ones too. Thought I got to name it @Ojay as well as it running under Majestic Mill, both of us dipping our Crown Jewels it was also Kate and William's wedding day. Best way to celebrate that event I though :D

toby

Armchair warrior
28DL Full Member
Thanks -- really enjoyed that, totally excellent pics and fab report. Lovely work and looks like you had a ton of fun!

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
Great report!
I loved all of the images but I REALLY loved the shadow on the wall on the first selfie shot and this one:

7-LookingBackb4fab.jpg

Looks like something out of 'The Hobbit' - awesome shot mate!

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Nice pics mate, just finished exporting mine so I'll put my own report up in a day or so :thumb

Cheers dude - looking forward to your report, especially some of the cleverer snaps you took :thumb

Really enjoyed reading this report. Great write up and photographs. Looks like a fun and interesting trip :thumb

Thank very much - yeah it's a cracking set of culverts and the local wildlife (the pub inhabitants) can make it interesting :D

Now then..

The 1927 great flood of Oldham, one of P.S Stotts finest mills (Orb now demolished) home to I.C.I and Hestair & Hope, F.W Dixon's Majestic Mill of Lancashire Cotton Corporation and Courtaulds fame, st00ping, crawling, getting soaked & dunking the crown jewels, I name that culvert Majestic, what's not to like ;)

..Oh and that 12ft section which needs a better pic someday

18.jpg

It is a very fine set of culverts - and that 12 foot section is the dogs. I've got a few snaps without me making it look scruffy too. I think elholmer's report might contain some nice snaps of that.

Thanks -- really enjoyed that, totally excellent pics and fab report. Lovely work and looks like you had a ton of fun!

Thanks very much - yeah, it was a fun wander - there were a few bits I forgot to add, like the cave spider crawling on my face.

Great report!
I loved all of the images but I REALLY loved the shadow on the wall on the first selfie shot and this one:

Looks like something out of 'The Hobbit' - awesome shot mate!

Cheers - yeah, I love the vegetation and blue skies looking out of culverts - makes a great contrast with the inside of the culvert and this one does look a bit like hobbit hole :)

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Thata a nice one, even the spraycrete looks funky :thumb

Yeah the spraycrete was surprisingly cool in places - not sure if that happened as they put in on or whether it has funked up since. Not your average coating of grey crap though!