real time web analytics
Report - - Newlands nursing home - Surrey - July 17 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Newlands nursing home - Surrey - July 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Stumbled across this site by accident,
After two unsuccessful visits i finally found a way in.
This site is on the same land as the oakhill health centre, however despite our attempts that is completely inaccessable until vandals break a way in :banghead
Picture heavy :thumb

History
Struggled to find a lot of information about this site, the nursing home is from the victorian era and both sites closed around 2011.
Redevelopment plans to turn the two sites into 41 new flats were put forward to Kingston council in march of 2015 with further voting regarding the redevelopment appearing in October of 2016, however nothing has happened so far.
Theft of the metal cladding on the roof of the nurses home caused water to leak in and destroyed the timber of the building.
Few news articles in case you would like to read more :
1. Spooky old nurses home in surbiton to be brought back to life? - 23/02/15
2. See inside the rotting surbiton nuses home - 27/02/15
3. Vote looms on plans to demolish Oakhill health centre - 08/10/16

The explore:
After somebodys break-in attempt on the health centre being sealed up, we decided to focus our attention on the nursing home.
The way in was extremely difficult, and i wouldnt be able to do it holding my camera, so unfortunately the pictures are taken with an iphone 6, please excuse certain photos quality.
Pictures:
Thought id include some of the healh centre as theyre on the same site
U1tsdjF.jpg

TfAskQW.jpg

MWDS0Gb.png

Now for the main attraction :p
Externals first :

5SuPTAv.jpg

3559092.jpg

KAAJiou.jpg

TJcyQ10.jpg

32vohn7.jpg

I wouldn't reccommend attempting to get in this way, the flooring in this room is non existant
6YHwnxr.jpg

Now, the internals
kpGBKYU.jpg

jj9HSFA.jpg

RkDktm0.jpg

u20K0VX.jpg

Poor pigeon :(
7o2wupP.jpg

eIx9cMk.jpg
bcgpa85.jpg

BywTjuH.jpg

pO16yMH.jpg

Couldnt get to a quater of the building as it would have fallen apart beneath my feet :gay
TQVRYm1.jpg

PCGW1lD.jpg

cDB7jKj.jpg

Downstairs didnt have much light, excuse the quality
QhFZOgR.jpg

JbVp7hI.jpg

CsVdona.jpg

CEDYM3p.jpg

3OD79ef.jpg

Lovely bit of asbestos
MzakmqD.jpg

getting in was difficult, and the state of some of the rooms were either falling apart of disgusting, but did make for some very interesting photos.
That concludes my first ever post, constructive criticism would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• eIx9cMk.jpg
    eIx9cMk.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 682

RustyG

The world's most awkward urbexer...
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate, looks like an interesting lil find! You got some good pics there n all!

Lavino

28DL Full Member
The way in was extremely difficult, and i wouldnt be able to do it holding my camera, so unfortunately the pictures are taken with an iphone 6, please excuse certain photos quality.
I can't understand why you couldn't get in with a camera. I would imagine most people take a bag along to carry cameras and torches etc.still good to see you get some photos :thumb

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Decent enough report. :thumb

Some of your snaps could be improved with a bit of straightening and messing with the levels and stuff. Do you shoot in raw or jpeg?

Also I'm pretty sure hats just flaky paint not asbestos.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I just used my iphone 6, so i assume raw. And thank you

Ah right, that'll explain it. They won't be raw. I'd wrongly assumed you were using a dslr. There is an App you can get called Fotor (there are probably plenty of other that do the same job, I just know of this one), and it will let you adjust variables like sharpness and contrast and shadows and highlights, which will really help with your phone snaps. It has some horrendous, "enhance", features too, but that can just look like you have used terrible filters. So personally I'd just use their "adjust feature". It's similar to the RAW editor you get with photoshop, just will a lot less power and you don't have as much data in your jpegs.

If you've got a slightly underexposed snap, you can increase exposure (or brightness in fotor) and reduce highlights to compensate, possibly reducing the shadows too and then whack up the sharpness. That's what I would have done with your bay window (as well as straighten it a bit).

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
If you've got a slightly underexposed snap, you can increase exposure (or brightness in fotor) and reduce highlights to compensate, possibly reducing the shadows too and then whack up the sharpness. That's what I would have done with your bay window (as well as straighten it a

Thank you for the advice and for explaining, ill check the app out ;)

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Its sound. I'm always trying to improve my snaps and like getting constructive feedback from people to get mine better.

I've started underexposing my snaps by a couple of f stops purposefully to get a better balance between the detail inside and not blowing out the windows (to avoid using her or stacked images) which is what your iPhone has done up there. You then just need to edit as I've explained above.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
That asbestos is just paint mate.

Good to see you’re getting out tho.

Get yourself a rucksack.