real time web analytics
Report - - North Brook Culvert, Heavytree, Exeter. December 2013 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Brook Culvert, Heavytree, Exeter. December 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
So, as a rule, the nice people at Ordinance Survey are a pretty reliable bunch of chaps (and chappesses)

So when I noticed this:

map_zps5c1aaca7.jpg

There were only a couple possible explanations, either they had let Kevin the YTS trainee* do the blue lines - and he forgot to join them - or there was something that needed looking at.

(*Younger readers should ask their mum/dad what YTS was :thumb)

So, a quick drive to Exeter, and there it was, The North Brook Culvert.

Running for about 800m it forms part of Exeter's strategic flood planning.

So, a few pics I think:

DSC_7067_zpsae6f258b.jpg

The upstream in-fall.

DSC_7104_zps1c3e93e0.jpg

otter_zps96bcbf62.jpg

Complete with otter footprints, preserved in the concrete...

The ridge in the center - which you will see continues for some distance, would seem to be a concreted over sewer pipe - as it has vent pipes at regular intervals - although it doesn't seem to be connected to anything.

DSC_7119_zps16d98d48.jpg

Running parallel to the culvert, and connected at a few points would seem to be a CSO - it certainly sounded in full flow - but as the rain was coming down big time I decided to leave those for another day

DSC_7114_zps70bb8b84.jpg

DSC_7122_zps74627bd2.jpg

DSC_7130_zps4a96b8a7.jpg

This dual channel section runs for probably 5 or 600m....

DSC_7143_zpsb1c074cb.jpg

DSC_7137_zpsb188624d.jpg

As do those vent tubes - they stop just short of the roof...

DSC_7156_zpse8e23843.jpg

At the end of the dual channel section the flow is joined by another 4 foot concrete pipe, with a moderate flow of water - presumably this also meets the CSO - I followed it about 50m - but got pissed off with stooping.

DSC_7147_zps2a6ea410.jpg

At this point the culvert divides into a pair of parallel box section channels, which are joined at regular points by openings..

DSC_7150_zps16014157.jpg

Starting at a reasonable, non-stoopy, height - these get lower, and lower, towards the end - with barely 4 feet of headroom as you approach the end.

And, of course, you can always tell that the end is in sight - when your camera starts to steam up!!

DSC_7159_zps4e977ee6.jpg

And out - this channel was not even full side to side when I entered, filling up nicely now - thanks to the rain.

DSC_7161_zpse19e3304.jpg

DSC_7170_zps42adbfb2.jpg

And that's it - a nice little wander for a Sunday - beats washing the car, going to Ikea, or whatever others do on a weekend :)

Thanks for looking :)