real time web analytics
Report - - North West Storm Relief, Hammersmith Storm Relief, Serpents Lair & Brook Green Storm Relief, London 2017 to 2019 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North West Storm Relief, Hammersmith Storm Relief, Serpents Lair & Brook Green Storm Relief, London 2017 to 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
North Western Storm Relief
(aka Labywrinth)

Enjoyed in the good company of @TheVicar

I finally got around to finishing this lot a few weeks ago so time for some reportage. The North West Storm Relief (NWSR) was one of the first drains I saw under London. TheVicar and I completed the mid/ upper section last year but the downstream end still needed seeing and naturally that lead to the Hammersmith Storm Relief, Serpents Lair and the Brook Green Storm Relief.

I’ve included a map or I’m sure to lose ya. We’ve not walked the full length of the extension further up the Ranelagh so this report will start from a chamber known as Shelf Life because of the enormous fungi growing above the drop shaft. The blue, purple and turquoise lines on the map highlight what is described below.

NWSR and hammersmith map.jpg

The North West Storm Relief was built between 1925 and 1928 soon after the North East Storm Relief (Deep Ochre) had been completed. Construction of the Hammersmith Storm Relief started in 1922 with the commencement of the pumping station. They were both completed by 1928

NWSR and hammersmith map plotted.jpg

Shelf Life Junction on the Ranelagh Sewer. The Ranelagh’s much older than the chamber and isn’t intercepted until near Hyde Park where there is also a Storm Relief. Because it’s such a long distance before it’s intercepted or relieved it used to regularly cause flooding further upstream. The brickwork in the drop shaft appears to be different to the brickwork in the rest of the chamber, suggesting it didn’t use to have one – just the tumbling bay.

1.JPG

_DSC1125.jpg

2.JPG

3.jpg

The concrete pipe on the left starts at another chamber also on the Ranelagh and runs parallel below it to this junction. It’s a modern extension to the NWSR. I’ve walked up it to about half way and gave up.

4.JPG

Further down the harder wearing Staffordshire Blues start on the invert.

5.JPG

At the top of this tumbling bay is a 5ft (I think) RBP. I’ve walked up that a fair way as well but gave up in the end. Kicking myself now as I wouldn’t mind seeing how it interacts with the older and smaller Mid Level Interceptor. I’ve been unable to find another way in to it at that end frustratingly.

6.JPG

Next we came to what is known as (or remembered by me as) Anatomy of a Junction No.2. JD explains it in much more detail here but essentially the 1928 North Western Storm Relief intercepts the 1904 North Kensington Storm Relief which in turn relieves the 1864 Mid Level No.1 Interceptor. Immediately afterwards the NWSR drops down a long flight of stairs and continues towards the Thames. This was as much as I’d seen on my own so TheVicar and I donned our studded wadorz and carefully made our way down. Somehow we made it down without incident.

7.jpg

The pipe coming in from the left on the pic above is the older 5’ NKSR. 50m up this is a pair of tumbling bays. The one on the right leads to ladders and an easylift. The one on the left leads to the Mid Level No.1. This is the smallest I’ve seen it here at barely 5’ – it’s tiny. Still, Thames Water decided to add another oak dam board, allowing more flow to remain in the interceptor before it’ll overflow.

8.jpg

9.JPG

In 1904 the LCC decided it needed a better way of dealing with heavy rain after several floods across London and a law was passed to permit the construction of several storm reliefs across the city. Among others, the North Kensington Relief took overflows from the Mid Level No.1 to the Counters Creek sewer relieving other sewers on route. It’s course is immediately blocked here by these oak boards and flow is diverted into the NWSR which flows from right to left. It crosses paths with the wavy NKSR three times in total – once more in a similar fashion to this

10.JPG

From the bottom of the long tumbling bay back in the NWSR

12.jpg

Further down we see the NKSR again, this time coming in from the right and going out to the left. It starts to get a bit clever here – well the Engineers at the time did. The dam board you can see in the pic below diverts the constant but minimal flow into the NKSR. Storm flows crash over the weir.

13.jpg

14.jpg

This is about as far as the Vicar and I got to, we turned back shortly beyond this big lump. We’d been hoping to see the NKSR again as the map shows it crossing for a third time. We’d not seen it so we stood on top of this seemingly needless concrete ramp thing thinking where the heck does the NKSR go? Perhaps it passes underneath and doesn’t interact that’s why we’ve not seen it? Well, I was standing on it. The concrete ramp is the NKSR but instead of passing underneath the NWSR it passes straight through it. I’d never seen two drains ‘clash’ at similar levels before. Obviously abating storm flows don’t make it over the weir and were there not a short 9” drain away pipe linking the NWSR to the NKSR (partly visible at bottom right of pic) a stagnant pond would remain between the dam board further up and this concrete ramp.

15.jpg

16.JPG

I just needed to check that there was a similar size hole coming into the top of the NKSR – so I did.

Police and Thieves

The nights solo draining mission got off to an eventful start when having just driven down from Bristol to the lid, I walked passed three people. Unbeknownst to me they were undercover police and when I walked over to and waited on the lid I turned around to find them stood right behind me. They were after burglars and a lad walking around in wadorz must’ve been too good an opportunity to miss. Obviously, I showed them a few pics of the Fleet or something and they got the idea but they weren’t done yet – I must’ve done something wrong. Two of them wanted to know where I was parked. I’d done nothing wrong so didn’t really want to help them but had nothing to hide (for a change) so gave them the keys/ fob to the van and told them it was 50 yards around the corner, while the others asked me more questions. They couldn’t find it somehow (twice) so I offered to show them what a blue combo van with the reg I’d given them looked like as it might perhaps save everyone’s time. One of them asked me my name and if I had a date of birth. I told them my name and confirmed that yes I had indeed been born. They then wanted to know what the sledge hammer was doing on the passenger seat so I told them (truthfully) that because I couldn’t find a lump hammer at work I had to use a sledge. Instead of putting the sledge hammer in the boot, I told them, it was quicker to put it in the front – they love catching you lying this lot but I’d nothing to hide. I’ll tell them precisely how that sledge hammer came to be on the passenger seat if they really want to know.
“What’s in the back then?” they asked.
“My bed and my life I responded.”
“Open it” they said.
“But you’ve got the keys still you do it!”
This poor lass tried the ignition key but it’s got after-market deadlocks so didn’t work.
“Other key” I said so she used the same one but tried the fob on it which then locked the front doors. “No, the other key” I said “shall I do it?”
“No I’ll manage”
“But you need to use the other key – it’s got deadlocks”. Well she couldn’t figure it out so I took the keys off her, promptly unlocked it and showed all three of them the state of the back of my van. Bike, bed, bouldering mat, rope, clothes, work gear, tools, rubbish the lot.
“And you say you’re sleeping in there tonight, how tall are you?”
“Yes I am and I’m 4’30” can I go now?” I said.
“Eh? Oh, well I know what I’d rather be doing on a Friday night” they laughed
“Me too, mind how you go” I chuntered
Pretty soon they realised they were wasting more of their time than mine but before they went they asked me my age thinking I’d been lying earlier and forgotten what date of birth I’d given them.
‘Nice try’

Counters Creek & North Kensington Relief

After they’d gone (and the oil had loosened the lid sufficiently) I went down. I walked downstream first to where I expected the 5’ NKSR to connect to the Counters Creek. Instead I came across a rather dull concrete chamber, some oak boards and a 2' square hole (I think) beyond which the flow dropped down a 10' shaft. It didn't have ladders, so I’d have to get out and go around to another lid. First though, I went wandering (stooping) upstream. Being a storm relief there’s not many connections but sure enough there was a 9” hole in the soffit approximately half way between the bends. If there’d have been someone in the NWSR at the time we could’ve probably had a conversation. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of the 9” pipe coming in and the concrete chamber at the end - they're not much to look at anyway. I did pass this nice little side access though. Corbels!

18.jpg

It seems that the manholes sinking. This is how they used to date and monitor a crack in brickwork.

19.jpg

I got out of the NKSR, startled some lad and dropped into another nearby lid into the Counters Creek. This is looking upstream to an overflow from the Counters Creek and the original 5ft connection from the North Kensington Relief. Behind the timber boards 5m up the pipe on the right is the small, dull, concrete chamber I’d just been in.

21.jpg

Counters Creek overflow

_DSC0683.jpg

What minimal flow there is in the NKSR drops down the 10’ drop shaft (no pic from this end either – soz) flows under the Counters Creek via its overflow (left hole), through these two holes and down another drop shaft to the Hammersmith Storm Relief Duplication Branch. More about that later :D It's strange to think that this minimal flow has come all the way from Kilburn. It’s followed a very unlikely course

20.jpg

Right then, back to the NWSR. When TheVicar and I visited the upstream end and walked downstream we only turned back because we weren’t sure if we could get out at the other end or what the air quality would be like that far down. We knew that there’s a wall at the end of this relief rather than heavy flaps or a gate. We’d also heard about these flaps that form a water tight seal beneath the manhole lids – easylifts and split lids. From underneath they look like this – two hooks holding a hinged heavy-duty plate horizontal. From above ground after raising the easylift (or split lid) you'd see two handles which turn the hooks and release the ‘trapdoor’. If curiosity ever gets the better of you and you wish to see an open one don’t be stood on it when you turn the last handle. It drops like a stone and if yer not holding the chain when it goes (and I wouldn’t) it makes the biggest bang ever when it swings into the concrete shaft. It’s even louder at night as well :D Don't let Hammersmith flood, though :thumb

17.JPG

To get into the downstream end we had to access it from a chamber known as Soup Kitchen and then stoop down a 4ft brick pipe for 30m or so with our faces perilously close to the foulest concoction of festering porridge you could imagine until we arrived in the main pipe. The pic below is looking downstream so you may wonder why it goes uphill……

22.jpg

…..Well a hundred meters further on the pipe ends at a 25ft brick wall. Essentially the last mile or two acts as an inline tank when storm water comes in quicker that it can escape through the minging 4ft pipe ^^^ If the storm lasts long enough the whole lot fills up (to the top) and goes over the wall and into the Thames. This explains the need for the heavy, water-tight flaps beneath all the lids at the downstream end. At that end the system acts like a syphon and the manhole accesses would otherwise be a weak link

23.jpg

Soup Kitchen

This useful but nasty chamber is at the other end of the 4ft brick connector pipe which drains the NWSR. When we visited this multi-level manhole chamber and the nearby 25ft wall we approached from Serpants Lair (Hammersmith Pumping Station) where all the flow eventually ends up. For what is just a very large manhole chamber it’s filthy and the name Soup Kitchen is very apt. This is what we stooped through. Small steps = minimal splash :thumb

24.jpg

From above. Serpents Lair is away to the right (east)

25.jpg

Looking upwards

26.jpg

The Hammersmith Storm Relief has several branches this being the end of the Western Branch which launches storm flows from 12’ up the shaft (from left of pic above) to join storm flows below. It relieves the Stamford Brook Sewer but we’ve not been up it.

27.jpg

Last edited:

tallginge

Regular User
Serpents Lair

Still walking downstream we walked through the 6’ pipe heading east. We passed a 5’ concrete pipe on the right that went on for ever. There are a few drop shafts along it but I gave up after 10 mins or so and returned to the main pipe. We went passed an overflow drop shaft from the Low Level No.1 (I think – no pics) and then came to the remnants of what looked like an old penstock.

30.jpg

Beside it was an unusually wide set of steps which led to some ladders and a split lid. Somehow a load of silt has filled the steps in right to the top to create a long, muddy slide. There’s a small winder and cable at the top of the steps just out of shot, which explains the extra width. Couldn’t make out what it was for, though. Apologies for the terrible pic.

31.jpg

Just before we arrived at Serpents Lair there was a series of arches which looked like blocked off 5ft pipe connections. Couldn’t make out what they were for either.

28.jpg

Off to the right is where we’d just been. On the left is Serpents Lair. It’s waist deep stodge to get to it and I get the impression work is being done there :D I think the original brickwork remains behind all the layers of crud.
I forgot to take a pic from standing in the stodge but another parallel pipe emerges to the left of the one you can see daylight through.

32.jpg

I then climbed up this penstock onto a balcony/ scaffold….

33.jpg

…..and looked out to see if I could make out what went on….

35.jpg

You can’t really make it out from this angle but there’s two walls dividing three ‘chambers’. An incoming one, a middle one, which I don’t understand but is carrying what look like a pair of temporary pipes and the final one which is where it’s all pumped from. Pic taken from Thames end of chamber

36.jpg

Turning around to look down and towards the pumps

34.jpg

The middle chamber. These pipes look temporary. I’d be interested to know what happens in this section in the future

37.jpg

I climbed down a bit further to have a gander at the reservoir where all the flow ends up. The nearby and shallower Low Level No.1 is only a 4’ x 2’8’’ egg this far west and wasn’t designed to deal with huge flows. I suspect this is why the downstream section of the NWSR was designed to retain as much excess flow as possible (from the upstream Ranelagh and Mid Level No.1) so it could be pumped at a controlled rate into the Low Level No.1. without it having to go to the Thames. I assume they can discharge into the Thames above high tide level if needed, though, and that Tideway is currently taking care of the situation.

38.jpg

Here’s how it used to look.

hammersmith pump house.jpg

Hammersmith Storm Relief

I returned to re-join TheVicar and we walked back up the Hammersmith Storm Relief but up another branch of it. This led to a large rectangular concrete chamber with two pipes coming in and two pipes going out of it. Of the two going out one of them is original brick and rarely used and one of them is concrete, running parallel to the brick one and taking a small flow direct to the pumping station emerging next to the one I entered from. Of the two pipes coming in one of them is also brick, nearly empty and enters from the North East of Hammersmith. The other one comes from a more Northerly direction, contains more flow, is concrete and is known as the Duplication Branch. Obviously, the new concrete pipe now intercepts the original brick pipe and provides a more direct route for storm flows into the pumping station. Hopefully this is clear enough on the map at the top. In keeping with how we explored this we’ll take the brick Hammersmith Storm Relief

When TheVicar and I walked down to here first time this chamber was very silty and proved to be too deep for my wellies – luckily, we’d got to here from the upstream end of it and had already seen enough by that point.

39.jpg

After a series of twists and turns we arrived at this junction. The Brook Green Storm Relief joined the Hammersmith Storm Relief here but the concrete Duplication Branch has by-passed this junction leaving the original pipe on the left redundant and silted up. We carried on up the main pipe on the right

40.jpg

We passed a few old wooden flaps along the way. You don’t see many of these.

41.jpg

Not sure what this is a drop shaft from. Either the Low Level No.2 or the Brook Green Sewer or possibly both

42.jpg

After what seemed like several miles of stooping (it wasn’t) we arrived, as expected, at the dropshaft from the Low Level No.2. and Counters Creek overflow. We’ve been to this chamber a few times now – its good. Here’s a pic looking downstream from the bottom of the shaft, one looking up it, one from the Counters Creek/ Low Level No.2 overflow before the shaft existed and a reminder of how much it’s changed since.

43.jpg

44.jpg

counters overflow pre 1905.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

Brook Green Storm Relief
(aka Sumpin’ Nasty)

More recently we went to have a look at the Brook Green Sewer and the Storm Relief beneath it. Obviously we didn’t walk through the silted up/ backfilled brick pipe, nor did we walk through all that flow in the Duplication Branch but we could’ve if we were daft enough. This chamber is a mirror image of the other concrete chamber about a kilometer away down the pipe on the right. TheVicar lights up the silt in the original Brook Green Storm Relief that we’d seen the other end of at its junction with the Hammersmith Storm Relief.

45.jpg

Just like the other concrete chamber downstream this one also has two incoming pipes. The Duplication Branch (the dull concrete one) comes from a north eastwards direction and I suspect collects flows that go under the Counters Creek Sewer at the point where the North Kensington Storm Relief drops into it. The brick Brook Green Branch comes from Shepherds Bush further west. First it ducks under the North West Storm Relief. At least we think it’s the NWSR – don’t think it can be much else

46.jpg

Beside the sump was a short passageway leading to ladders and this mini penstock.

47.jpg

Finally, just before the pipe reduced in size, there’s a dropshaft from the 4ft Brook Green Sewer which at this point runs overhead. The storm relief continues further and I suspect eventually relieves a smaller branch of the Counters Creek and probably other local sewers.

48.jpg

Well, I think that just about covers it. There’s still a few bits and pieces left to see/ pipes to follow but they’ll have to wait for another day.

Thanks for lookin’ :thumb

Last edited:

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Cracking report and pics mate - nice to see what I missed from inside the pumping station!
It was great to relive much of this again as I read though it. The trips to the NWSR seem so long ago now with all the other things we have seen since. ;)
That final part of the NKSR is still a little bit of a mystery to me but is now a little clearer.
Glad you enjoyed these drains as much as I did. :thumb

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What are those things that look like lamps hanging down? Ultrasound flow monitoring/relaying devices perhaps?

tallginge

Regular User
Not sure why this is - I used google this time though (as @Alley suggested) The pics still appear for me but I suppose they would. If a mod can unlock the thread so I can edit it, please, I'll resize them and upload them directly to the forum

Who has read this thread (Total: 328) View details