real time web analytics
Report - - Old Tanks (Scotland) | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Tanks (Scotland)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jenga

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely stuff. Yes these make it a better report. Nice weather last summer too. 5 miles I bet was a hot sweaty walk lol.
Haha ye man was a good one last year shame we couldn't do much had planned to visit a few more known places but lockdown prevented this so decided a bit of adventure would prevent the summer being a waste.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
I still think these are the vehicles from Tank Drive Challenge https://www.tankdrivechallenge.net/gallery/#iLightbox[gallery_image_1]/15 or attached from their FB page which a friend copied for me

Jenga

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I still think these are the vehicles from Tank Drive Challenge https://www.tankdrivechallenge.net/gallery/#iLightbox[gallery_image_1]/15 or attached from their FB page which a friend copied for me
Capture.JPG

Ye thats them by the looks of it the tanks look in better nick on the website than in person. and the only one that was open is on the website. Guessing this random patch of ground is where they are stored.

This is a rough location of both area I was told to seach (Red circle) and the tank drive challange (Red pin) Long distance away possibly where they get stored but thats a long drive.

1610894691352.png

Last edited:

Jenga

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Uppon doing a bit more research the place we found them is next to a buisness park with a registred 4X4 breakers and a couple of industiral companies. Guess there is a sister company here or they rent a patch and use it to store the tanks.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
With the number of AFV there I wonder if they are future projects to produce 'runners' as even in that state the are worth a couple of Grand!
A refurb would entail a complete strip down to the hull with a further strip down of Power Pack (Engine) & running gear. with any unused bits kept as spares..

500 were updated for service in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2006, air-conditioning, enhanced reactive armour and IED jammers have been added. Initially, these further enhanced versions are known by the name Mk3 Bulldog, and are still in service, some in Canada for training purposes.
A lot of Mk2 spares were sold off by the MoD at the time making this a viable rebuild project...

Jenga

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
With the number of AFV there I wonder if they are future projects to produce 'runners' as even in that state the are worth a couple of Grand!
A refurb would entail a complete strip down to the hull with a further strip down of Power Pack (Engine) & running gear. with any unused bits kept as spares..

00 were updated for service in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2006, air-conditioning, enhanced reactive armour and IED jammers have been added. Initially, these further enhanced versions are known by the name Mk3 Bulldog, and are still in service, some in Canada for training purposes.
A lot of Mk2 spares were sold off by the MoD at the time making this a viable rebuild project...

Could be the case yes. Would explain why it looked ruined inside if they only need it for spares and repairs.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Yes, Designed & Built to replace both the FV6112 Truck, Armoured, 1 Ton, 4x4 (Humber Pig) & FV603 Truck, Armoured, 6x6 (Saracen) both of which soldered on because of a political decision not to deploy Tracked APC to Northern Ireland during the troubles. Saracen was also produced because of the urgent need for a wheeled personnel carrier to serve in the Malayan Emergency.

Linno3

28DL Member
28DL Member
A friend and I had heard rumors of abanoned tanks near our town but only knew roughly where to look. After walking almost 5 miles down country lanes and through woods we eventualy found them.

I have no idea about the type of tank perhaps some one else will know?

Sadly as you cans see there has been a lot of damage done to the inside and there is an abundance of rubbish laying around the opposit end it. Also the other tanks where locked so we where unable to gain accesse to those.
The one in the pic looks like a reme/engineers one as it’s got the calm (crane attachment lorry mounted) fitted.

winchman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have been for a spin in one well I think it was the same it was most impressive, great find

Who has read this thread (Total: 506) View details