real time web analytics
Report - - Optimus Prime, Manchester - April 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Optimus Prime, Manchester - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Moose

My name is Jeff
28DL Full Member
Madness...​

Is probably the fitting description for our trip to the second big drain in our first trip to Manchester. Visited after the clocks went forwards, it was still light and although there wasn't too much foot traffic, we definatley got a couple of strange looks. Onwards to the waterfall and "Hmmmmm, where's the disabled access?"... "I think I see it all smashed up in the pool dude"... Oh joy! I don't even know why we decided to go for it, exit could have been impossible but the sheer fact we'd waddled around Manchester Town Center, like a pair of redneck tourists in our waders meant we were going to do, what we were here to do.

I went first, skidding in a crouched position and plunging feet first into the pool - not much froth so I could see the bottom, it came to just above waistline. Next thing I see my bud (unsure of his forum name or if he has one) slip, and jump forwards, only to belly flop into the wet stuff!! He had a little paddle around, and then decided his fun was over and climbed ashore, waders breached! It's always a good day out, whoever you're with :D

This place was huge, it was a shame that the flow was slightly too strong to cross to the other side - If it wasnt for my friend I'd have been on my arse and downstream faster than Manchester's finest on a cig dimp... (from reading other reports im not the first this has happened to!! ;) ). We only got pictures from one bank and definatley plan a re-visit, hopefully with better lighting and a dingy, to see all the stuff downstream too!

Optimus Prime carries the River Irk under the G/Mex and Victoria, where it joins into the River Irwell. The features we got to see were the cattle bridge, and (i think) the slaughtering part? There was also a junction box and some other cool stuff on the other side, and after being told the tales of what we missed, and what lies further ahead, i'm seriously gutted! Again one of the bigger drains i've ever been in, its crazy to think there is such a large disused space, filled with so much history under our streets. But then again let's not put too much consideration into these things, and keep these sacred places for ourselves instead of tours complete with guides!

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

e8be5ef1-bb64-4144-830e-2385458fdf1a.jpg

Quick pose for a piccie... then realised some guy was watching us the whole time :D

IMG_0744.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good effort lads, slippery weir is that one, I only ever climbed it the once without any aid, last time we went I rigged a hand line as didn't fancy a dip in the drink :D

Moose

My name is Jeff
28DL Full Member
It was easier getting out than in - most shots were blurry/dark due to the sheer size of the place, definatley want a revisit!

And again, i'm sorry about the multi-posting but i'm building up un-posted reports :D

Moose

My name is Jeff
28DL Full Member
sounds like lolZ were had, thats what its all about :) :thumb

Definatley, having a good time is as good as the experience itself!!

Really want to start meeting some new people to go explore poops and stuff with, got a couple of new ones on the list over in Bolton if anyone's interested? It'd be difficult for my mate to get over there and I don't fancy them alone, one seems to dissappear off the map...

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Cheers man :D I love the unusual features that the bigger drains boast!

Yup, don't dismiss what some of the smaller stuff has to offer though, there's some fascinating features that get covered and forgotten about. You can't beat scraping along on all fours and a resultant stiff neck in the morning :)

Moose

My name is Jeff
28DL Full Member
Yup, don't dismiss what some of the smaller stuff has to offer though, there's some fascinating features that get covered and forgotten about. You can't beat scraping along on all fours and a resultant stiff neck in the morning :)

I'm easy about it all, but after a few week's worth of crawling around in tiny culverts and resulting back pain it was nice to go do something that you could just walk through :D only just started with all the Manchester stuff, being quite a lot of effort to get to town but what i've seen so far has been really impressive!