real time web analytics
Report - - Permanite Asphalt, Matlock, Aug 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Permanite Asphalt, Matlock, Aug 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my second report from the matlock area i was in a couple of months ago.

This one is a great way to spend a hour, had a mooch round here on a lovely warm day which is rare in england.

Again not a lot of pics just just a few pulled from lightroom for you all to look at.

The history is a pure copy and paste from member tarkovsky not sure if this is allowed but please shout up if so :)

Permanite were an Asphalt contractor based in Matlock. The process of creating asphalt involves the combination of aggregate, bitumen and sand.

The plant took powdered limestone, from several of the local quarries and mixed it with hot bitumen emulsion that was brought down from the refineries of Ellesmere port - this being a by product of the fuel oil refining process.

Mixed the tar / limestone solution was poured into metal moulds on the floor of the big shed and allowed to solidify, then the back breaking process of manually separating and stacking the cooled blocks could begin. I cant remember how many blocks were produced on each shift, but always remember the men that split and stacked these blocks worked incredibly hard.

During the late 80's part of the process was mechanised, from memory Permanite spent alot of money on a shiney new plant that would replace the labourers, but it kept breaking down. Eventually the whole operation was sold to a firm called Ruberoid
.’

There are currently plans to build houses on the site.

Permanite_Asphalt_001.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_003.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_004.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_005.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_019.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_018.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_017.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_012.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_011.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_009.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_008.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_007.jpg

Permanite_Asphalt_022.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I like this. Looks a nice bright day. Still a fair few bits of interest there. Love that last shot, cracking photo. The looking straight down shots would have me wobbling lol. Nice report :thumb

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers for that :)
Yeah me two mates seen them and said you gotta get a shot of us up there.
The looking down shot I felt safe because the wife was at the bottom waiting to catch just incase haha.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cheers for that :)
Yeah me two mates seen them and said you gotta get a shot of us up there.
The looking down shot I felt safe because the wife was at the bottom waiting to catch just incase haha.

hahahahaha, my hubby wouldnt be within miles of me exploring lol. brave stuff. I can do look out photos, not look down photos ;)

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah was quite lucky really I don't normally get nice weather when out for a explore lol.
It's usually wellies and a poncho :)

Andoni

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m thinking of going there soon do you know if there’s any squatters. And are the higher floors is it safe or the floors rotten. Just making sure I don’t fallthrough the floor:thumb

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There was no squatters when I went and all the floors seemed fine, upstairs In the main building was concrete and must be sturdy as there was tracks obviously used to push heavy materials around :)
The other smaller buildings were single story so no problems with floors there :)

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
I’m thinking of going there soon do you know if there’s any squatters. And are the higher floors is it safe or the floors rotten. Just making sure I don’t fallthrough the floor:thumb

I'd add that someone recently said don't enter from the supermarket side of the site as there's operational cameras there and security came to find them. A guy i bumped into on site walking his dog said there's always kids there, and i bumped into a couple - but certainly no squatters!

Andoni

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'd add that someone recently said don't enter from the supermarket side of the site as there's operational cameras there and security came to find them. A guy i bumped into on site walking his dog said there's always kids there, and i bumped into a couple - but certainly no squatters!
Ok thanks for the tips, btw just another question, is there security do i have to worry about trespassing laws and so on, also i was planning on entering through the supermarket side, where else do you get to the set because on google maps i an only see a road from the supermarket to there, i was planning to park in the supermarket and walk to the factory? Should i change my plans

robmcc83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you go the otherside you can park right outside the gates. On Google maps it looks like the road runs straight through the place so just look the opposite end and you will see the road you need to be on.
I not aware of any security. I went twice this year used the entrance not from the supermarket way and didn't see any security to be honest I didn't see anyone at all although on the second visit got blocked in by a big truck full of sheep putting them into the field but the farmer was a very friendly guy and apologised.

Andoni

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you go the otherside you can park right outside the gates. On Google maps it looks like the road runs straight through the place so just look the opposite end and you will see the road you need to be on.
I not aware of any security. I went twice this year used the entrance not from the supermarket way and didn't see any security to be honest I didn't see anyone at all although on the second visit got blocked in by a big truck full of sheep putting them into the field but the farmer was a very friendly guy and apologised.
Ok thank you so much for all the advice