real time web analytics
Report - - Porth Wen Brickworks - Anglesey, North Wales - January 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Porth Wen Brickworks - Anglesey, North Wales - January 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We haven't managed to get any exploring done for a few weeks so for 2022 we decided to get back on it with a trip to North Wales. This place has been covered loads on here but it's one we've always wanted to see and was our first visit of the day.

History - Porth Wen brickworks was built in the mid 19th century by Charles E Tidy and made fire bricks used to line steel making furnaces. The brickworks includes quarries, an incline tramroad to the works, and includes a crushing house, moulding shed, drying sheds, and kilns. The brickmaking operation was supported by storage hoppers, engine house, boiler house, chimneys, warehouse and a quay. Brickmaking ceased at the site in the mid 20th century.

Explore - Porth Wen is a stunning location and this is a really interesting place for a wander. It's a pretty easy walk down to the site and is well worth a look around.

View attachment

Thanks for looking.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Love the location of this place plus the fab industrial history this site exudes. Looks like you had good weather too! Bonus.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Never been myself, but it looks such a photographic place. Captured it nicely. It seems a popular place for staying overnight in a tent.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Love the location of this place plus the fab industrial history this site exudes. Looks like you had good weather too! Bonus.
The location is stunning, and theres plenty left to see. glad we had a look.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Never been myself, but it looks such a photographic place. Captured it nicely. It seems a popular place for staying overnight in a tent.
It is very photogenic. There's loads of evidence of people camping, would be an amazing place to camp but wish people wouldn't leave so much rubbish behind.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It is very photogenic. There's loads of evidence of people camping, would be an amazing place to camp but wish people wouldn't leave so much rubbish behind.
I am not surprised you saying there is lots of rubbish. People are so lazy and can't be bothered taking a bag. Really hate that.

tigger

mog
Regular User
The damp rust gives the boilers a nice tone. Somewhat surprisingly In over 50 years of walking that area I've avoided rain so not seen them look like that!
As for summer...stick to winter to avoid the crowds as well as get the better shots of the crusher and hopper view looking it's Mayan best as you did!

Not keen on that new paint above the boilers or on the chimney :(

Did you walk up to the incline drum house?

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love this place when I went ..stunning area ..loved your photos ..looks like you had a beautiful day there :thumb

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
The damp rust gives the boilers a nice tone. Somewhat surprisingly In over 50 years of walking that area I've avoided rain so not seen them look like that!
As for summer...stick to winter to avoid the crowds as well as get the better shots of the crusher and hopper view looking it's Mayan best as you did!

Not keen on that new paint above the boilers or on the chimney :(

Did you walk up to the incline drum house?
We missed the drum House. We were on a bit of a tight time schedule to try and get to a few places in one day. It was dry and sunny while we were there but had obviously chucked it down overnight.

Who has read this thread (Total: 203) View details