real time web analytics
Report - - Purls Bridge Pumping Station..Cambridgeshire, July 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Purls Bridge Pumping Station..Cambridgeshire, July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited here with man gone wrong whilst in the area in the area. one of Dans finds and a little beauty it was as well, a very intact engine house that housed an old Ruston engine, this had quite a long belt to power the pump. The belt is housed in some sort of Heath Robinson hand made cage with metal poles and what looked like chain link fencing. The single engined Ruston was deemed enough to power the centrifugal pump inside. With most of these pump houses and wind pumps situated in places like the Cambridgeshire fens and Norfolk broads, they were designed to drain the land around which is always susceptible to flooding, the water is then pumped back into the water courses. The building is constructed of timber and and a tin roof. And according to Dan’s report built around 1920, another newer brick building has been built a little further up the road. This made it quite hot inside and lighting was frankly quite awful for photos. The road up to it was prob one of the worse ever. Dan and jake said it was bad. I was expecting potholes and a rough track. But it was the whole road was just like a roller coaster were water has caused it to move with movement of the earth, it made you feel seasick.

IMG_6088.jpeg

IMG_6089.jpeg

IMG_6091.jpeg

IMG_6092.jpeg

IMG_6093.jpeg

IMG_6094.jpeg

IMG_6095.jpeg

IMG_6097.jpeg

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

IMG_6100.jpeg

IMG_6101.jpeg

IMG_6102.jpeg

IMG_6103.jpeg

IMG_6104.jpeg

IMG_6105.jpeg

IMG_6106.jpeg

It seems that the whole area is a nature reserve. So whilst my mate was inside getting his photos I spent ages loooking at the many butterflies congregated outside.

IMG_6107.jpeg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report mate. Really nice set of pics considering how difficult the lighting is in there, and some nice angles too. That road is probably the worst road in existence up to it though :rofl

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report mate. Really nice set of pics considering how difficult the lighting is in there, and some nice angles too. That road is probably the worst road in existence up to it though :rofl
Cheers mate. The lighting was terrible with darkness and harsh lighting through the holes. That road has to be the worst ever. Ever the main A roads around it are not great :rofl

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Too much evidence of spiders for my liking :confused
Absolutely horrendous place for cobwebs. When we went it was about 28 degrees and far hotter inside the building. Sticky skin and cobwebs ain't the nicest combination. Nobody had been in there for years either so they were really thick too.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nah I'm not a fan, although it wouldn't stop me going somewhere. I'd just be freaking out every time I touch a cobweb 😬
The webs are horrible. Was an accomodation building at Coltishall. On the top floor a corridor was a mass of cobwebs. I was covered in them after I walked it. I felt filthy when I come out.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
These little pump houses are really nice and fab to see. I enjoy the write ups and the images. Rustic charm with great machinery. Yep agree, keep them coming :thumb