real time web analytics
Report - - RAE Bedford 8x8 Control Rooms - August 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAE Bedford 8x8 Control Rooms - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-57.jpg

So I was meant to do a post on this a few weeks ago but I ended up off in Germany exploring some incredibly cool stuff for a week (probably to emerge from the backlog in half a years time). I seem to have started off a bit of a Bedford craze this summer with my 3x3 post, and whilst it's been sitting there for the taking for years it's good to see people appreciating this site once again. Now we have none other than non-forum user Gary to thank for this, because he decided to visit the site back in October last year to find the 3x3 open. Whilst telling me about it back then, it wasn't until this July when I finally got round to going. And that's how my post below resulted. I must give credit to @mockney reject who recently clocked the 8x8 and gave me the heads up after I couldn't find a way in on my first visit. I was down there within a few days of him mentioning it as I couldn't miss completing the duo, and for all intents and purposes it's the bigger sexier cousin of the 3x3.

Since then, there's been a fair bit of renewed interest in the RAE Bedford site, which seemed to have its heyday between 2012 and 2019 before going quiet. The site hardly seems to have changed since, I'm guessing there was a temporary security crackdown at the end of this period but that must have been brief. Fortunately it has escaped any real vandalism and hasn't deteriorated a whole lot (save the 3x3 which is rotten af). It's worth checking out @JakeV50's recent post here which provides an excellent overview of all the explored areas of the RAE site. Whilst his post already covers it well, this building was so nice I thought I'd do my own take on it and show off the control room with all the lights on, which had me well beyond half mast. For the record I still think there's more undiscovered stuff here, and what people seem to have covered so far of the 8x8, including myself, seems to miss out the northern half of the building, so keep your eyes peeled for future discoveries people.

For the history, I'm going to just quote my previous post for this as below. If anyone is interested in a more comprehensive history of the place with some nice photographs, they should read this: https://www.bahg.org.uk/documents/L&T Release 1/Life & Times Volume 1 1950s - 20180719.pdf
The facility was chosen as an expansion of the work initially carried out at RAE Farnborough, with RAE meaning Royal Aircraft Establishment, renamed to Royal Aerospace Establishment in 1988 and then merging into the Defence Research Agency in 1991. Unlike the RAF, the RAE was a military branch of the Government concerned with innovating aircraft technology, and hence primarily worked in developing and testing new hardware and designs. Prior to WW2, the RAE worked at Farnborough to develop things like ways to land aircraft on carriers, or airships, but after WW2 became concerned largely with jet engines. The Farnborough site expanded with NGTE Pyestock purely for developing turbines and jet engines, whilst RAE Bedford was concerned more-generally with experimental aircraft development.

Numerous facilities were built at the site, including several large office buildings, a canteen, a 3x3 wind tunnel building, 8x8 wind tunnel building (the largest), 13x9 low speed building still with tunnel used by Red Bull, and a a Vertical Spinning Tunnel (VST) apparently still used for indoor skydiving although it looked pretty derelict. That would be a great one to see done. The site was decommissioned in 1994 and has gradually been repurposed as Twinwoods Business Park​

Screenshot 2023-09-16 175540.jpg

The 8x8 wind tunnel facility in 1956 nearing completion.

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-59.jpg

The section covered in this report is that on the right and centre. Still don't know what's in the left half - someone else might?

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-13.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-14.jpg

FIRST CONTROL ROOM

So upon entering the building we swiftly walked through the hall towards the offices at the rear of the building. As with any building I visit containing a control room, I head straight to the jewel in the crown first as there's no way I'm accepting defeat due to loitering in other areas. I wasn't entirely sure how many control rooms there were here as it's hard to get a sense of it from people's posts, but this less-impressive one was the first one I came to and it was still enough to make the 2 hour trip worthwhile. I believe this one served the actual wind tunnel's operation. The lights unfortunately only partially worked so it was a bit dimly lit. I'm going to guess it was built a bit later than the other control room, maybe in the 70s although I could be wrong, but it was still nice. Some interesting plans of the wind tunnel had been placed on a table as a kind of informal display.

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-1.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-4.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-5.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-3.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-9.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-11.jpg

SECOND CONTROL ROOM

After looking at the first control room and a few fairly empty office rooms, I'd sort of become distracted from the possibility of finding more. Having mentioned that there might be more than one to my mate, it was only when we checked in the far corner of another room that we stumbled upon this gem. From what I understand, it was a control room for powering the facility, rather than for the wind tunnel itself. That makes me wonder if the locked up half of the 8x8 facility might contain a turbine hall, but I have no idea.

Anyway, we entered the room with a crack of light peeking through a half-boarded window and were impressed. We located the light switches and wow, they sprung to action to illuminate the room perfectly. The ceiling lights in this room are shaped quite nicely, and although this control room lacks a skylight, the electric lighting still makes a pretty pattern which adds to the room's perfect minimalist form. As my mate said, it was like being on board a retrofuturistic spaceship. It looked as though it had barely changed since the 1950s, and it was immaculate. The hum of the fluorescent lighting mirrored the buzz of the feeling of having made it into this heavenly bright space. I really didn't expect something THIS good, and it cemented itself as probably one of the nicest things I've seen in the UK.

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-23.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-16.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-21.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-22.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-28.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-32.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-34.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-35.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-19.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-36.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-41.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-30.jpg

MAIN HALL

So this was the main central space in the building. From the outside, this is the big rectangle on the southern side. There's also another big rectangle to the north, as I say someone needs to find out what's in there. A very big impressive space complete with cool old-school lights and some gantry cranes.

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-44.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-47.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-49.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-48.jpg

This room contained the exhausts for the wind tunnel jets, and when it was last popular on the urbex scene it had this nice swirly exhaust cover fan-looking thing embedded in the wall. Well the room has since been modified a bit as it's hireable for film shoots, and a false floor has been added over half of the room and the wall containing the swirly exhaust cover has been bricked up and convincingly repainted. The exhaust cover thing lies next to it propped against a support as a nod to how it once looked.

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-50.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-53.jpg

RAEBedford8x8Tunnel-55.jpg

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Amazing stuff mate. Bloody loved this place and was so glad to complete the 3x3 and 8x8 after 4 years of it being in the back of my mind. Cheers for the heads up on the 8x8.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
It’s such a great place, there must be some more things hidden away like you say. The left side was the power station I think. I’m sure it was full of IBC’s or rubbish years ago, can’t remember.

Great shots and take on it.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nicely covered.
as I mentioned prev the bodyflight windtunnel is pretty cool, I was responsible for reinstalling & welding the fan support structure at top of the tunnel there about 10yr ago. its a cool structure with submarine type doors around the outside of the tunnel.
There is a small spa pool in there too & a surf simulator in the other room & a small engineering shop. not sure if it will ever be open, I believe the nursery is still live & pretty much operates out of the same building

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nicely photographed mate. It's a nice building. I know most won't agree, but I prefer the 3x3 personally. I feel it's far more photogenic, far more to see and just had a nicer feel with lovely features throughout. Just my personal opinion though.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
The lights do work but the some of the switches are back to front so 'people' get confused then only realise when they are leaving when they can't find the right swith combination to turn them off again... :p

Wastelandr

Regular User
Amazing stuff mate. Bloody loved this place and was so glad to complete the 3x3 and 8x8 after 4 years of it being in the back of my mind. Cheers for the heads up on the 8x8.
No probs, always nice to finally tick stuff off the long-term list.

It’s such a great place, there must be some more things hidden away like you say. The left side was the power station I think. I’m sure it was full of IBC’s or rubbish years ago, can’t remember.

Great shots and take on it.
Ah cool, so not much in the way of actual power station machinery left? Thanks

Wastelandr

Regular User
Fab set of images there. Really like the signs and posters too.
Cheers!

Very nicely covered.
as I mentioned prev the bodyflight windtunnel is pretty cool, I was responsible for reinstalling & welding the fan support structure at top of the tunnel there about 10yr ago. its a cool structure with submarine type doors around the outside of the tunnel.
There is a small spa pool in there too & a surf simulator in the other room & a small engineering shop. not sure if it will ever be open, I believe the nursery is still live & pretty much operates out of the same building
That's right, ah you never know, one can but hope! Does sound interesting. Funnily enough from what I've been hearing the nursery are doing a better job than the security here lol.

Really nicely photographed mate. It's a nice building. I know most won't agree, but I prefer the 3x3 personally. I feel it's far more photogenic, far more to see and just had a nicer feel with lovely features throughout. Just my personal opinion though.
Interesting take! I suppose it depends how much decay you want. For me though, the 3x3 was interesting but the control room was verging a bit much on the soggy pigeony side of things than decaying in a particularly pleasing way. It felt a bit like it was better for photos than it was to actually see, given that its all in one corner. I think I prefer the cleaness of the power station control room here because it suits its 1950s' design, it still shows off the clean lines of the panels and the room as it was originally intended. There's definitely more photo angles to be done in the 3x3 though.

Really well covered mate :)
Cheers, thanks again for the heads up

The lights do work but the some of the switches are back to front so 'people' get confused then only realise when they are leaving when they can't find the right swith combination to turn them off again... :p
Aha yeah that nearly threw us off.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Interesting take! I suppose it depends how much decay you want. For me though, the 3x3 was interesting but the control room was verging a bit much on the soggy pigeony side of things than decaying in a particularly pleasing way. It felt a bit like it was better for photos than it was to actually see, given that its all in one corner. I think I prefer the cleaness of the power station control room here because it suits its 1950s' design, it still shows off the clean lines of the panels and the room as it was originally intended. There's definitely more photo angles to be done in the 3x3 though.

I think it was just more the building that had more features, the control room was just an extra in the 3x3. The circle skylights, the parquet flooring in the long hall, the old offices. I liked all the old little electrical switches inside, the offices above the main entrance with the glass blocks. I exceptionally liked the original toilet block with porcelain urinals, the old raised cistern and a little tap above the taps. Obviously the 8x8 control room is stunning and a really good example. I did like both very much. I just felt the 3x3 had a bit more to see.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I don't remember there being much in the power station wing. I think the recycling lot are in there now after burning down the 3x4 building a few years ago?

Who has read this thread (Total: 254) View details