real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Kings Cliffe | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Kings Cliffe

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

crablab

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RAF Kings Cliffe was a World War 2 US Army base; it is now largely abandoned and has been converted to farmland. The remains of the runways can be seen from the air and some bunkers and original buildings still exist. Wikipedia Page

I visited the lesser known, and more widely spaced out parts of the airfield (as I didn't have time to visit the bunkers which are visible from the road) in late May. Access is good but you need to watch out for the farmer(s) and there is a house(!) hidden there.

A rather decayed building:
fcgDc9vNraBNZseZlRugnC9Ln7YUhn5M3M3VB7r9jrVhkivsPZCcWN1zNDCkAOUDmMXk9-q-TkBocllGD9=w1231-h923-no.jpg

And a hut on stilts (possibly not an original feature):
325lnjvEJf10bGvo24OQiFZifAM3MCzQcD4iEg_ouMhSF46ciScHc7Kc_0lTMzdC_hAEbMs69N_X1y4M3V=w1231-h923-no.jpg

What I assume to be some kind of bunkhouse in very good condition:
JmZyjPexinchUYcTnsLXjvLIaZrSEj3EbkYyAnzbhKDLx8jp2z9Q_zegvLVGjF6P856Qk_VO4dWuSye7nv=w1244-h923-no.jpg

...the inside (not great condition):
bi8TxKotEVHaQviGHrXkkALixFw0HoZ7rZLfjRt94xX6pUwrOhik-q0hV1DLKaIQkvRUXdOzZ5DM1dKBCB=w1231-h923-no.jpg

Another more interesting building - possibly a control tower?
1PZZA0K5QaIN6OZ9_cK4o2WpBORo-XT5t4xvcLIuFdWZw8bc83-NiQG45ZZDQ86DTSKP04HsimfHnKuq-q=w1231-h923-no.jpg

The view from the top:
F5NMNXLckfjx2nogao6SIcEkx_BVC0ZK6NQHmpoygVoNoB5p76_9ddWo1ee0Ahz7ByD354iybKcRy_Ic09=w1231-h923-no.jpg

Apologies for the low quality - these were taken on my Nexus 6 as I stupidly forgot my DSLR!
More pictures here.

Will visit again with a decent camera and do the whole site.

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Had a brief mooch round here years ago, before I got hoofed of by the farmer.
probably more to see, o must get bwck
thanks for sharing

Ryan Baynes-davidge

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey man!

looks wicked. I was hoping to go and check this place out over the winter break, yet can't seem to locate any of the site on a map. Don't suppose you happen to know the nearest postal code?
Also did you get there via car? Any places you could suggest for safe parking would be awesome as well!

Thanks in advance! Merry christmas also

crablab

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey man!

looks wicked. I was hoping to go and check this place out over the winter break, yet can't seem to locate any of the site on a map. Don't suppose you happen to know the nearest postal code?
Also did you get there via car? Any places you could suggest for safe parking would be awesome as well!

Thanks in advance! Merry christmas also

Don't know of any nearby postcodes. There are several entrances as the site is huge. If you go out of Kings Cliffe on the Wansford Road, up on the top of the hill is a memorial to the American Airmen; the site is nearby. Parking is on the verge although I didn't get there by car.