real time web analytics
Raising money for book about 'Underground Bury' | Books and Media | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Raising money for book about 'Underground Bury'

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm currently writing a book called 'Below Bury' which will document the various tunnels and drains beneath the town - I have already explored many of them and mapped them out. There are many local rumours about various tunnels and the book has attracted some local attention so I have set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to go towards the publication of the book.

https://www.gofundme.com/belowbury

Every little helps! Whether it's a pound or a hundred (optimistic, I know :() it will all come together.​

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
You related to Keef :D

Are you planning on including U/U assets ? not sure that's a good idea for a book..

Profit or charity, what is your agenda ?

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
3osxYamKD88c6pXdfO.gif

Sorry I'd really really like to send you a big wad of cash for your book, but what guarantees do I have that you won't just spend it on sweets and pokemon cards ?

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
At least write the book first. You dont need money for that! You can publish it on Blurb or something for free to start with as well. What are you going to spend it on? Quills and ink??

Reactions: m9

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does it really cost £1,500 to write a book?? Had no idea it was so expensive.. best of luck anyway :)

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
It's a good subject which I'm sure local people will be interested in.

Apologies if you've already weighed it up, but here my 2p:

Self-publishing can be risky - you have no guarantee of recouping your outlay, much less making a profit. There are plenty of printers who will take an aspiring author's money, regardless of quality, and then the author doesn't sell as much as they had imagined. It's often called 'vanity publishing' because an author's vision is not always what will sell. A niche subject like this has a limited market. How many copies do you think you will sell?
That's not to rule out self-publishing - if you are confident in your book's quality, go for it, just don't expect to make a lot of money.

A reputable publisher will include design, printing, publicity, and distribution. Proofreading may be extra, should you need it. (I thought I was an accurate writer, but my publisher noticed some errors in grammar, which I am glad were fixed before the book went out). Acceptance by a publisher is acknowledgement that your book is readable and marketable. However, the price you pay is a lower return on sales (in my case 8% of cover price) - again, don't expect that a book will make you money.

If you want people to fund publishing your book, you really need to show us (at least a taste of) the finished product.
Best of luck anyway :thumb

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You related to Keef :D

Are you planning on including U/U assets ? not sure that's a good idea for a book..

Profit or charity, what is your agenda ?
No haha, I have read his books though :oops: more local interest than anything else

The majority of the book will be about the 'Bury Tunnels', however there'll be a few standard culverts that won't kick up too much of a fuss in there

Most of the money I'm raising is just to print the bloody things, profit would be nice but it's unlikely
Sorry I'd really really like to send you a big wad of cash for your book, but what guarantees do I have that you won't just spend it on sweets and pokemon cards ?
You don't :rolleyes: I'm still missing that Pikachu card...

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's a good subject which I'm sure local people will be interested in.

Apologies if you've already weighed it up, but here my 2p:

Self-publishing can be risky - you have no guarantee of recouping your outlay, much less making a profit. There are plenty of printers who will take an aspiring author's money, regardless of quality, and then the author doesn't sell as much as they had imagined. It's often called 'vanity publishing' because an author's vision is not always what will sell. A niche subject like this has a limited market. How many copies do you think you will sell?
That's not to rule out self-publishing - if you are confident in your book's quality, go for it, just don't expect to make a lot of money.

If you want people to fund publishing your book, you really need to show us (at least a taste of) the finished product.
Best of luck anyway :thumb
Cheers for your advice! The main audience is local people, I've asked around and many people would be interested in buying such a book

Self-publishing is a bit (well, a lot!) risky, it's just a slightly easier route to getting the book made and distributed as getting a publishing deal can be hard. As it is only likely to be of interest to local people there doesn't seem to be much of a chance of getting it published 'properly'...

I'll be putting up a sample of the book in due course, hopefully that'll give it the boost it needs (many people have seemed understandably sceptical, as see above :p) so that should provide some help.