real time web analytics
General - - Request for images from Wales (Heritage Project) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Request for images from Wales (Heritage Project)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

paulhunt

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi everyone,

Amazing images here. I work for Mencap on a heritage project that is collecting the oral histories of 80 people with a learning disability who lived in 6 long-stay hospitals across Wales.

The oral histories will be stored in St Fagan's archive (the National Museum of Welsh Life) but we will also be creating 6 regional museum exhibitions based around the following hospitals:

Hensol (now a 5 star hotel)
Ely (demolished)
Bryn Y Neuadd (still in use)
Denbigh (closed, legally speaking a minefield)
Llanfrechfa Grange (still open, half of hospital due to be redeveloped in coming years)
St David's (Carmarthen) (hospital closed but most buildings in use by council or NHS).

I've been researching mainly Hensol at the moment and have come across many amazing images of Hensol and Denbigh. I was hoping I could get those of you with images from any of these hospitals to get in touch. I'd love to keep a record of them and potentially put some on display (bearing in mind the sight of ruined buildings could upset people for whom these hospitals were home). Also i'm unclear at the moment about whether our funders, the Heritage Lottery Fund will allow us to display pictures taken on land that is fenced off (I hope that either they allow it or that someone can provide a sound legal basis as we're clueless about this!).

Anyway, please email me at [email protected] I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Like I said in my email on the same subject, feel free to use any of mine for any purpose, just a small credit to myself and this website required.

The copyright belongs to the photographer, the methodology of taking the picture isn't a legal basis of anything. You can still legally photograph while illegally trespassing. They are two totally separate issues, one should not relate to the other.

paulhunt

28DL Member
28DL Member
With regards to Denbigh I was speaking in general - we would normally ask the owners for permission for access to get some artefacts from the site but the CPO is unlikely to be completed until our project ends. From what I gather there is some shadiness around the current owners (allegedly a teacher in India one former staff member told me) and of course the timely arsons on the site days after the CPO was served.

The_Raw

Staff member
If it might be upsetting for the former patients wouldn't it be better to source photos from when the buildings were still operational?

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Sinnerman would have some great shots of a few of these, sadly not online much but I'll give him a nudge on FB.