real time web analytics
Question - - Rucksack... after suggestions | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Rucksack... after suggestions

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Coxieboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm after a rucksack, I have a DuraGadget one that carries all my camera kit (Inc waterproof cover) but does anyone know of any that have room to carry camera kit AND walking kit (Waterproof Jacket/trousers, food, water, First Aid kit, GPS etc. I'd be after about a 60 litre sack as opposed to 35 litre Or... do I just cut my Camera kit down and pray the lens/filter/flash/batteries I left behind were not the ones I needed. :)

Muttley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
60 litres??? :eek:

What the hell are you taking?

You should be able to get everything you need for a day out into 20 litres max

You're not going to squeeze a 60 litre sac through small holes, over fences and I wouldn't fancy legging it from a hungry alsatian with a huge pack on my back

captainweird

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Take a look at the Lowepro range -the AW models have waterproof covers.
Or, for a just a good Rucksack, look at what Osprey do.
60 Litres does sound a lot -a friend of mine spent 5 weeks walking the Camino De Compostella with only a 50 Litre pack!

Phil

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Simple answer is there is no 'ideal' bag - I have about a dozen different purpose made camera bags, from full backpack, to small 'camera only' ones - yet my most commonly used is a British Army gasmask bag :rolleyes:

Leeds(Ex)plorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I want a tidy little rucksack with a tripod holder on the side but they all seem stupidly expensive for what they are

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
And don't forget - walk down a street, in a city, at night wearing the latest "Lowepro-supercoolio-look-at-me-I'm-a-l33t-photographer-4000" and you will look a lot more interesting to the local chavs and crackheads compared to someone carrying a basic (non-coolio-l33t) rucksack from an army surplus store :)

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
Karrimor Urban 30. Sports direct £14.99. Well thought out pocket design. Tripod will strap to side. Fairly robust (mines taken some stick). Trash it, get a new one, simples :thumb

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
60L is nuts. My normal bag is 30L and I can get a camera, tripod and a couple of lenses along with a sleeping bag, a bivi and an inflatable mat. That still leaves the hood pockets to put random shit into.

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Karrimor Urban 30. Sports direct £14.99. Well thought out pocket design. Tripod will strap to side. Fairly robust (mines taken some stick). Trash it, get a new one, simples :thumb

+1. Doesn't have the most padding, but can cram a lot inside as well as the outside. Plus it's cheap, durable and comfortable to carry. However I mostly use my Kata DR-465i which I find very useful.

keffa

Bringer of free Cylumes
28DL Full Member
If your willing to spend the money, go for a military type day sack, the Karrimor retail versions of the British army bags or if you have a mate in the forces ask him to bag one for you (Heh). They are all designed to take rocket pouches on the side which means they double up as roll mat and thunder tube holders and are perfect to conveniently strap your tripod to the side. Admittedly they are expensive but you can pretty much guarantee you will not trash them and they will come in useful for other things.

Obviously don't buy them from the link above, I used that just to illustrate them. Go on ebay or your local surplus place for cheaper prices.

Simple answer is there is no 'ideal' bag - I have about a dozen different purpose made camera bags, from full backpack, to small 'camera only' ones - yet my most commonly used is a British Army gasmask bag :rolleyes:

The man bag is even better for the task. I imagine now that most units have been told they can officially dispense with the old DPM/desert kit, eBay and your local surplus store is about to become awash with them LOL.

Coxieboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for all the suggestions, the reason I want such a big bag as it needs to carry all my camera stuff and all me walking stuff, combining my two hobbies. Obv... If I am going specifically to a location to take photos, small bag. If it's a day walk, and hope to explore somewhere on the walk, I'll need a bigger bag.

upright_ninja

Picture of Stealth
28DL Full Member
Ive just managed to pick up a Targus bag for £2 from the local bootsale! The same bag is available in ebay for £33...!! It's ideal for my DSLR (I've purchased a padded liner to fit camera & lens, plus my 50mm prime and my 250mm zoom). Theres room for camera cleaning kit, memory card case, first aid kit, flask/water bottle, food and I can even fit my Manfrotto tripod in the secondary main compartment (it's a squeeze but it does fit).

FYI.... the ebay link is here!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Highlander Forces bags are really good for this game. You wouldn't believe the hammering they can take.

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details