real time web analytics
Question - - Safety tips | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Safety tips

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idk_at_this_point

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So, I’m new to all of this exploring stuff and I’ve just found an abandoned school that me and my friend are wanting to go have a look at, however this is the first real abandoned building I’ve been into. Does anyone have any tips? Whether it’s to do with the ideal clothing to wear or stuff to avoid doing? Even any advice on how to avoid security (if there is any) I’d appreciate it. Thank you!

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
First thing first, we're in lockdown and exploring can in no way be considered as "essential", so not anytime soon I hope.

Your question is covered here

Most obvious thing to avoid doing is breaking in.... that's not exploring. School building unlikely to have on-site security

Idk_at_this_point

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First thing first, we're in lockdown and exploring can in no way be considered as "essential", so not anytime soon I hope.

Your question is covered here

Most obvious thing to avoid doing is breaking in.... that's not exploring. School building unlikely to have on-site security
Yep, we aren’t doing it anytime soon (especially considering my friend is terrified of doing this so it’s going to take months to convince her anyways) we haven’t seen each other since lockdown started so we are planning on doing this once the lockdown is lifted. Anyways thank you for your advice!

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Welcome along :thumb
Yer best to try and avoid exploring at the mo but get researching and put together a list for when it’s all over .

All should be covered in the link Bertie posted but any questions just ask.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
For safety and security it's mainly just about staying aware. I see far too many people strolling about places like they dont have a care in the world. Got to be constantly looking and thinking about what your doing. Even veteran explorers seem to loose awareness of what they are doing all too frequently. People suddenly banging about making noise not looking what's going on outside and checking if the floor they are about to walk on is safe etc.

Idk_at_this_point

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For safety and security it's mainly just about staying aware. I see far too many people strolling about places like they dont have a care in the world. Got to be constantly looking and thinking about what your doing. Even veteran explorers seem to loose awareness of what they are doing all too frequently. People suddenly banging about making noise not looking what's going on outside and checking if the floor they are about to walk on is safe etc.
I’ll keep that in mind, thank you!

TVurbex

TV Locations Aficionado
28DL Full Member
A good thing to be aware of too is squatters. Have only ever met large groups of them where I've had no issues at all and some of them have even given me a grand tour of their home!

But I've heard a few stories about individual squatters or smaller groups who have been quite territorial, hostile, and sometimes even aggressive/violent towards explorers which can obviously put you in danger. You should also look out for hazardous drug paraphernalia (i.e. hypodermic needles) that can commonly be found left behind by said squatters... poor bastards. Wear solid shoes.

Scope the place well before attempting to enter and if you think the building's lived in, steer clear in my opinion! Otherwise, just keep your wits about you and you'll be good as gold :) Enjoy!

Idk_at_this_point

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A good thing to be aware of too is squatters. Have only ever met large groups of them where I've had no issues at all and some of them have even given me a grand tour of their home!

But I've heard a few stories about individual squatters or smaller groups who have been quite territorial, hostile, and sometimes even aggressive/violent towards explorers which can obviously put you in danger. You should also look out for hazardous drug paraphernalia (i.e. hypodermic needles) that can commonly be found left behind by said squatters... poor bastards. Wear solid shoes.

Scope the place well before attempting to enter and if you think the building's lived in, steer clear in my opinion! Otherwise, just keep your wits about you and you'll be good as gold :) Enjoy!
I actually never thought about that, thank you so much!

ScruffyOtter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You should also look out for hazardous drug paraphernalia (i.e. hypodermic needles) that can commonly be found left behind by said squatters... poor bastards. Wear solid shoes.
+1 what @TVurbex said. :thumb

The dangers of needle stick injuries can't be emphasized strongly enough, especially if you come by one in abandoned premesis. You can catch diseases from discarded hypodermics that make coronavirus seem like a five star holiday, and with many abandoned places being attractive to drug users (Often because the police won't enter) this is one of the greatest hidden hazards of exploring*. Strong boots and gloves are a must. If you can cut thick metal insoles to go inside the boots, so much the better!
(* - I'm a newbie myself, but in my distant past I was hanging out in one abandoned place that turned out to be a heroin den. You really had to watch your footing in that place! :oops: )

If you ever find yourself getting a needle stick, don't hang about - Get to a safe place and call 999 immediately.

Idk_at_this_point

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
+1 what @TVurbex said. :thumb

The dangers of needle stick injuries can't be emphasized strongly enough, especially if you come by one in abandoned premesis. You can catch diseases from discarded hypodermics that make coronavirus seem like a five star holiday, and with many abandoned places being attractive to drug users (Often because the police won't enter) this is one of the greatest hidden hazards of exploring*. Strong boots and gloves are a must. If you can cut thick metal insoles to go inside the boots, so much the better!
(* - I'm a newbie myself, but in my distant past I was hanging out in one abandoned place that turned out to be a heroin den. You really had to watch your footing in that place! :oops: )

If you ever find yourself getting a needle stick, don't hang about - Get to a safe place and call 999 immediately.
The fact that I never thought about that is crazy, thank you for the advice, I’ll make sure to remember that!

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Or that there’s a floor there at all. Years ago at west park, opened a door no floor.

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
If you go alone you need to be super aware of your surroundings. If you have any doubt don’t do it. If you do go somewhere alone, once in just stand still and quiet and listen for a bit, should tell you if you’re alone or if others are there

Who has read this thread (Total: 207) View details