real time web analytics
Report - - Sarre Underground Brigade Headquarters, July 2021 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sarre Underground Brigade Headquarters, July 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Hi all, I see a lot of posts on this place are around ten years old now so thought I would provide some newer photography with the nice fat wide angle lens. Not much new to report so this is a fairly quick report, but hopefully of interest anyway.

The History

There's plenty of information already out there, so here is a brief introduction. The bunker was built in late 1940 as the South East Army Command Brigade Headquarters. I'm no expert but I'm assuming this was unlike most military installations on home ground in that it was not a defensive site for use by defensive forces; like the Home Guard or Territorial Army, but an actual command post for the Army themselves who at this time I would think were partially receded to England after Dunkirk as well as being positioned in other theatres. The South East Army Command had other tunnel systems at Tunbridge Wells, Canterbury and Reigate.

The Explore

This wasn't too difficult to locate, but wasn't the easiest to access. After getting some funny looks from the locals for pulling up in a muddy Mini clearly abused as a Land Rover, we gave the perimeter of the small quarry this was built in a full walk-round to assess the situation. The name of this village is already pretty good, something about those continental French names in Kentish villages that makes you feel like you've travelled further than you have. We jokingly named the explore 'The Sarre Offensive' because it sounded like a battleground. After entering the overgrown quarry directly, we realised this probably wasn't the best way without battling a ton of nettles. We did at least see the remains of three Nissen huts apparently serving an anti-aircraft battery or the same installation. We returned to our previous route to find the best entry route. The space we had to crawl into was not particularly inviting, likened to a Chilean mine collapse. I'm guessing the bunker entrance was once partly demolished and the wreckage thrown into the start of the tunnel, because this didn't look like a natural collapse. We then looked down at the imposing stairs running further underground and descended. The bunker isn't particularly big, nor in the best condition with a few disconcerting chalk avalanches, but on the whole a very well-hidden and interesting site.

1626638937188.png

Map from Subbrit

Enter the depths

Two headless explorers

Evidently a few collapses about

Due to collapses, only the northern most entrance survives

Nissen hut interior as a bonus pic

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nice update on the place mate, its been way too many years since i visited this one, but it was a fairly local spot to pop to and dick about with the torches to get some practice in, not huge no but it is a decent little location :thumb

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Really nice set of images. Don't like the look of those collapses mind.

Yeah they were a bit disconcerting! It seems its just the west entrance surviving now.

Like that one. Can't say I have seen it before. But so many of these underground runs that way that I lose track of them

Seems like I've only scratched the surface in this area

Nice update on the place mate, its been way too many years since i visited this one, but it was a fairly local spot to pop to and dick about with the torches to get some practice in, not huge no but it is a decent little location :thumb

Cheers Wevsky, yeah seems a good one for practising the light painting skills

Who has read this thread (Total: 221) View details