real time web analytics
Report - - Silverdale Tunnel, Newcastle-under-Lyme, June 21 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Silverdale Tunnel, Newcastle-under-Lyme, June 21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Another of my very early explores, so photos are admittedly pretty poor, had two crap torches, so very difficult to light up unfortunately! My apologies :)

Silverdale isn't an overly long tunnel, but with a single air shaft, and the track still down on one side, it's well worth a visit. Couldn't pass up the opportunity as I was in the area.

The History -

Shamelessly taken from Silverdale Tunnel as it's a very decent write up

1846 the North Staffordshire Railway was authorised to build a branch from its main line north of Stoke through Newcastle-under-Lyme, partly laid on the bed of Robert Heathcote's canal. Recognising that this would be of little benefit to his iron works in Silverdale, owner Ralph Sneyd decided to construct his own line southwards to Pool Dam. Known as the Silverdale & Newcastle-under-Lyme Railway, this opened in 1850 and, two years later, was joined by the North Staffs branch at Knutton Junction. 1854 brought a half-mile extension of the S&N to reach the head of the Newcastle Canal from where coal, iron and ironstone would be transported. This extension was initially worked by horse power. Added to this local network in 1856 was the 1½-mile Apedale branch, serving collieries to the north and north-west. The North Staffs assumed overall control after an Act was passed to make the S&N a public railway in August 1859.

To create a through route into Shropshire, a 12½-mile incursion was planned into the territory of the Great Western at Market Drayton. This would effectively scupper the GW's own march towards Manchester. Authorised in July 1864 and opening on 1st February 1870, the line set its shareholders back £216,926, much of this invested in two tunnels towards the eastern end.

Although built for two tracks, the route was singled between Silverdale and Pipe Gate in October 1934. Despite this limitation, the period following nationalisation brought a significant increase in freight traffic, reaching a peak of 10,000 tonnes per week in 1962/3. By this time, passenger services had ended but mineral traffic continued to use the line until the closure of Silverdale Colliery in December 1998.

The Explore -

Heard that all the tunnels on this disused railway line were open, so wandered down to take a look. Access was really easy, the East portal is a short walk from the public footpath on the old trackbed, and the gates were wide open.
East Portal
DSC01585.jpg

West Portal
DSC01630~2.jpg

No sense of wandering into the void here, as it's a straight tunnel, and only 684 Yards in length.
DSC01588.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

There is an airshaft to look up in the centre, but the main draw is the fact that the track remains in situ.
DSC01605.jpg

DSC_2110.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

It's severed at the West Portal, not sure why though, as the track continues beyond the portal, albeit pretty much reclaimed by nature. The track to the East between the tunnel and the old station was lifted in 2009.
DSC01632.jpg

DSC01636.jpg

Some Calcite Formations
DSC01599 (1).jpg

DSC01603.jpg

Spalling Brickwork
DSC_2112.jpg

Had every intention of doing Keele tunnel as well, but navigating a disused railway trackbed in the summer is an absolute nightmare at the best of times. Managed to battle as far as the site of Keele Station before the undergrowth became impenetrable, and we had to turn back. Didn't have time to attempt an approach from the other side, so it remains on my list to do.

Chances of getting it done any time soon are slim though, I'm guessing the local council have gone to great lengths to make sure every disused tunnel around Stoke is locked up tight of late... I've been told Silverdale is now locked, and I know Harecastle is as I tried it a few weeks ago. :lol

Thanks for looking!