real time web analytics
Report - - Silverlands Orphanage - 2007 / 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Silverlands Orphanage - 2007 / 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
I thought lock down would be over by now and we could get back to exploring, as it isn't, here's another report from back when I first started! First visited in 2007 on a mass 28dl meet, someone somewhere must have the group shot of us sitting on the roof. I then revisited years later as part of another forums christmas meet up when the building was in a severely dilapidated state.

Short history:

Nestled on the outskirts of the M25 in Chertsey lays a Grade II listed manor house with a potted history of uses. Originally built in the early 19th century by the Brewer Robert Porter, it was then went through multiple ownerships until it became the Actors Orphanage in 1938. The Actors Orphanage had previously started in Croydon in 1912 and in 1915 found residence in Langley Hall in Berkshire before finally moving to Chertsey in 1938. During World War II, the children were evacuated New York and the building was utilised as a Nurse’s School for the nearby Botley’s Park Hospital, now St Peters Hospital. After the war the building was part run as the nurse’s school and the orphanage; in 1958 it was decided to close the orphanage as the cost of upkeep became too high. It continued as the nurse’s school until the late 1990’s. At the time the national prohibition services were looking for a suitable building for the ‘residential assessment and intervention programmes for adult males with allegations of, or convictions for, sexual offences involving children’. This was met with strong opposition by locals and the plan was ditched in 2002. During this time, the building had had a reported £3.7 Million spent on refurbishment. The building currently resides in a state of ruin and with an uncertain future.

DSC_4137.jpg

DSC_4113.jpg

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4102.jpg

DSC_4117.jpg

DSC_4133.jpg

7 years apart - what a waste of money restoring the building!

DSC_4081.jpg

DSCF1517-2.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice reminder of how it used to be. Always a firm favourite with explorers. Totally flat now I hear :confused:

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice reminder of how it used to be. Always a firm favourite with explorers. Totally flat now I hear :confused:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Yep sorry my mistake, got my derps mixed up. I remember renovation had started, glad its moving on. Thanks for link.:thumb

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Very nice. I went here years back when Riddlers organised a visit back in 2006. I have a feeling it you (timechamber) who drove me back to the station with another guy called Flat4. Is that right?

Edit, sozza if you only joined in 2010 it can't be you.

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Thats incredible to see how it should look fully refurbished, with the last plans i heard the place had involved the full removal of the staircase & panelling for careful re installation later and the transformation of the ballroom into a pool room, turning the place into a few posh apartments which would be great to see

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
I swear I've heard as many tales from this place as somewhere like Severalls! We made it to the fence and then all went tits up - never went inside haha. Good snaps mate!

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Very nice. I went here years back when Riddlers organised a visit back in 2006. I have a feeling it you (timechamber) who drove me back to the station with another guy called Flat4. Is that right?

Edit, sozza if you only joined in 2010 it can't be you.

That's Me, Flat4 is my brother and I was on here as Sectionate back then - that must have been the trip when we went to Coulsdon, Longcross, some random church and the River Wandle? Your memory is sharp, I vaguely remember giving someone a lift but couldn't remember who. Looking at you previous threads, I think we were at the same Portsmouth trip organised by MarkR where we went to the Gosport ARP station?

Thats incredible to see how it should look fully refurbished, with the last plans i heard the place had involved the full removal of the staircase & panelling for careful re installation later and the transformation of the ballroom into a pool room, turning the place into a few posh apartments which would be great to see

Thanks - its a good thing they are refurbishing it (again).

Nice crisp set those...

:thumb

I swear I've heard as many tales from this place as somewhere like Severalls! We made it to the fence and then all went tits up - never went inside haha. Good snaps mate!

Cheers, it's one that has been visited a lot, that's for sure!

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
That's Me, Flat4 is my brother and I was on here as Sectionate back then - that must have been the trip when we went to Coulsdon, Longcross, some random church and the River Wandle? Your memory is sharp, I vaguely remember giving someone a lift but couldn't remember who. Looking at you previous threads, I think we were at the same Portsmouth trip organised by MarkR where we went to the Gosport ARP station?

Ah good I thought it was you. Site was with me as well if you remember him, but I think he has long since dropped off the scene. Someone sent me a classic picture of all of us "queuing" to get in, about 10 people all in, but I can't find it now. Happy days. Yup it was me on the Gosport trip but I don't remember seeing you there, but I'm not too hot with faces, or we may have gone at different times. One of the guys who helps out there also helps with the HMS Vernon museum where my Grandfather served as a teaching officer so also a connection there.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Ah good I thought it was you. Site was with me as well if you remember him, but I think he has long since dropped off the scene. Someone sent me a classic picture of all of us "queuing" to get in, about 10 people all in, but I can't find it now. Happy days. Yup it was me on the Gosport trip but I don't remember seeing you there, but I'm not too hot with faces, or we may have gone at different times. One of the guys who helps out there also helps with the HMS Vernon museum where my Grandfather served as a teaching officer so also a connection there.

Yeah, I remember Site, I think the last time I saw him was when the Carshalton Shelter opened up. He hopped the wall to let everyone in and cracked a rib doing so. That was a good day out and the queue between the cameras was funny, I seem to recall a moment of terror when we all discovered that an alarm had possibly tripped at Silverlands, and when the old bill turned up at the River.

Yeah, my name & faces ability is terrible and i'll be honest that I can't remember seeing you there either, but we all scattered in stokes bay quite quickly!

Who has read this thread (Total: 134) View details