real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Orphanage/Mount Street Hospital, Preston - February 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Orphanage/Mount Street Hospital, Preston - February 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
February 2023
The Visit
Visited over two days with @stranton and @coolboyslim on the first and solo on the second, I wouldn't normally post something up in this condition but who doesn't like a bit of St Joe's? Got to be honest I've been after this one since at least 2014 and have visited the site 2-3 times each year with no success getting in, which is very surprising considering it has spent the last decade on the tour bus. So when I finally made it in on this occasion I felt a real sense of achievement. The building is currently in a very poor state having recently undergone partial demolition following a fire that destroyed a lot of the more modern parts of the building, luckily the tower and chapel still survive. Sadly our first visit was cut short when a part of local youths also found their way into the building and proceeded to throw things from the upper floors, because of this we promptly made our exit and moved on to our next target. Just like our visit to the nearby Park Hotel I got home that evening and discovered that I had lost the majority of my pictures, so again I found myself back in Preston the next day to redo the hotel and orphanage as a solo visit.

The History
St Joseph's Orphanage was funded and built in 1872 on behalf of a wealthy widow named "Maria Holland" who was frequently donating £10,000 at a time to build the structure as Preston had one of the worst mortality rates in the United Kingdom at the time due to poor housing and low paid mill workers. In 1877 "St Joseph's Institute for the Sick and Poor" was opened. The chapel was added in 1910. The hospital could accomodate around 25 patients at a time and was run by Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy. St Joseph's Orphanage cared for around 971 children and had two dormitories until it closed in 1954. The top floor of the old orphanage was used for accomodation for the nuns working in the hospital. The hospital cared for a number of British and Belgian soldiers in WW1 and WW2.

Singer George Formby died at the hospital in 1961. The hospital continued to run after the oprhanage closed however it only lasted until 1982. In 1988 the building was converted into a care home which operated smoothly until that finally closed its doors in February 2003. The building has been abandoned ever since. There were plans to convert the building into flats in 2004 an were given the green light but the plans never went ahead. Now in 2020 a company named Czero wants to demolish the majority of the buildings that remain and build new flats around the chapel and tower end of the orphanage once redeveloped. In 2022 a fire broke out and a large section f the building was destroyed, with mainly consisted of the more modern buildings to the west of the site. Demolition work has now started on the site some of the older sections of the structure are being retained as part of a new development on the site.

GRONK_St_Joes5.jpg

[1]

GRONK_St_Joes1.jpg

[2]

GRONK_St_Joes7.jpg

[3]

GRONK_St_Joes8.jpg

[4]

GRONK_St_Joes6.jpg

[5]

GRONK_St_Joes9.jpg

[6]

GRONK_St_Joes10.jpg

[7]

GRONK_St_Joes4.jpg

[8]

GRONK_St_Joes11.jpg

[9]

GRONK_St_Joes3.jpg

[10]

GRONK_St_Joes2.jpg

[11]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Canon EOS 70D, 10-18mm EFS​

Last edited:

Lavino

28DL Full Member
That’s in a right state now. Good to see you made it in. Not sure if I once tried it with you.

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thought this had been completely burnt to a crisp then demolished. Nice to see some of its still standing

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
You know what for a shambles of its former self them pics look sweet. Yea the local yobs decided too wreck it even more . Hope they got fucked from the cops if they turned up. @Lavino same hope ya good matey.

Dave37113

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
popped by the weekend following the fire in May 2023 someone had a bollocking and they have now put 8 feet boards all around and place is pretty secure reboarded up bottom windows was pushed for time so didnt attempt to get onsite.

20230617_174907.jpg

thewind80

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We went there a few weeks ago and it's still very easy to get in and quite a few nice bits to look at, worth the trip even with the new boards 😉

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We went there a few weeks ago and it's still very easy to get in and quite a few nice bits to look at, worth the trip even with the new boards 😉

should think it is easy, looks like they have made nice little steps up the side of the fence in that pic lol

urb3xer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
went in January, as the flimsy metal fences were practically inviting me in but it had a strong stench and the floors didn't look very safe, but from your pictures it looked better than i thought (still not good though). better to be safe!

Who has read this thread (Total: 371) View details