real time web analytics
Report - - St Margarets esplanade and deep shelter June 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Margarets esplanade and deep shelter June 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Fro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There have been a fair few reports on these ones so I’ll keep the history brief:

Esplanade -

Basically two parallel tunnels. The foremost one runs from the esplanade to the other side of the cliff (sheer drop into the briny). It also has a spur which connects if to the gun emplacement that can be seen sticking out of the cliff overlooking the bay. The rear most tunnels far wall has been concreted off although you can peek round the edges and make out a void behind. This could be due to this set being re-used smugglers tunnels.

From the gun emplacement
IMG_0968.jpg

The first tunnel leading towards the esplanade
IMG_0972.jpg

The now blocked off esplanade entrance
IMG_0975.jpg

Looking down the worn steps from briny point
IMG_0969.jpg

Rear most tunnel - short by comparison to the first
IMG_0971.jpg

Deep shelter -

The 5.5â€￾ gun battery that stood above this shelter during WW2 no longer remains although the shelter is still accessible via a possibly unfinished, unlined section. This unlined section leads into the cliff and meets one of two tunnels which lie parallel to one another and (roughly) with the cliff face. These two are fully lined and connected at regular intervals by smaller tunnels.

Each of the parallel tunnels has an entrance at one end - opposite to each other of course, both of which have been blocked or back filled

Up towards the entrance
IMG_0976.jpg

Unlined section
IMG_0978.jpg

Original graffiti
IMG_0983.jpg

First tunnel with stairs to back filled entrance
IMG_0986.jpg

Duct connecting tunnels
IMG_0989.jpg

Second tunnel leading to second entrance
IMG_0988.jpg

Looking down from the sealed entrance
IMG_0995.jpg

Intrepid pigeon
IMG_0996.jpg

Thanks for looking!

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
nice little explore that one mate, the attempt to seal up the shelter is a big fail as the hole now just goes round the fencing hahaha.
i still got to have a look in the first tunnel in your pics but have never fancied the climb and dont have a roof rack for a ladder lol

Mr Fro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice little explore that one mate, the attempt to seal up the shelter is a big fail as the hole now just goes round the fencing hahaha.
i still got to have a look in the first tunnel in your pics but have never fancied the climb and dont have a roof rack for a ladder lol

Tell me about it, the shelter access is outragous!

Don't worry about the rope on the first one, there were three polish blokes dangling off it when I pitched up!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Yeah, I've never been sure about that rope. I have heard that the same one's been there for around 10 years!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
So i'm going to have to climb in to see it? fail for me :D

If you don't like the rope, take an extension ladder down with you - it's only a short walk from the car park between 2 of you won't be a problem! I've heard of people doing it that way rather than using the rope - a double extension ladder will reach it. No one seems to care much round there as I think the place gets a fair number of visitors and if anyone did care they would have got rid of that rope by now!

D

Darkdays

cool man. was down there with a school trip a few weeks ago, wondered if that tunnel led to something. I also noticed old air chimmeys poking out along the top of the cliff when coming into dover. any leads on that?

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
hello mr fro..the outrageous entrance at st margarets bay ..well i didnt use a ladder just old fashioned rope work..and obscurity ..you can abseil climbing up a rope cant be that hard :)

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User

obs come on the rope we got up isnt as high as it was the beach level has gone up..ill go with you for a return visit mate!!...then u can show me the other rope mission you mentioned closer to home

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
yes mate sounds like a plan, im up for that. we will have to get a plan underway. Maybe oone night next week? :thumb
Ill be in touch

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
yes mate sounds like a plan, im up for that. we will have to get a plan underway. Maybe oone night next week? :thumb
Ill be in touch

next week sounds good i have something with andy that involves the "pipe"one night tho..we can work around that

Mr Fro

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
next week sounds good i have something with andy that involves the "pipe"one night tho..we can work around that

Would that by any chance be the "pipe" brought to you in association with the "big hole"?

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nah - reckon it's the pipe associated with the pisser... ;)

ah the pisser..nope close but no cigar..and Mr fro..it refers to a place in dover where to get from one part into another theres a bit of a crawl and about a 12 foot pipe..not for those who fear getting stuck and may feel uneasy..so ill fekin love it!!no i wont actually but hey ho has t be done