real time web analytics
Report - - Trinity Methodist Church, Newlyn, Penzance, Cornwall - May 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Trinity Methodist Church, Newlyn, Penzance, Cornwall - May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
The church was constructed in 1834 and enlarged in 1866, when the interior was refitted to accommodate 600 worshipers. The interior is one of the best and most complete in Cornwall, containing original box pews, oval gallery with stencil decoration and the box pulpit, incorporated into the rostrum in the 1880s. The building closed for worship in 1997 following structural problems. Services were subsequently held in the adjoining church hall and continue there to this day. Shortly after closure plans were made to divide the building horizontally, across the gallery to make it a more flexible building. This was later halted following the upgrade of the chapels listing from Grade II to Grade II*, as much of the interior would have been destroyed in the process. In 2006 the chapel won a place in the final of the BBC Two program Restoration Villages after winning the South West heat. The are plans to convert the building for community use but so far nothing has come of this and the church is on the heritage at risk register.

The Explore
It’s been exactly a year to the day since I visited the building with Prettyvacant, but I never got round to sticking up a report on the place. At the time I was very busy exploring wise and managed 3 pretty big trips in just over a month, visiting around 40 sites, so I guess it just got a bit forgotten about. We were in far down west to visit the Newlyn bottle top factory when I remembered that there was a disused church not far away. When we got to the building, late in the evening, I quickly noticed a possible way in after having no luck on the ground floor. We then spent the night in the car just up the road and got up just before sunrise to while the village was still asleep. I really enjoyed this place, It’s a lovely old building with no hints of modernization, there’s lots of dust and cobwebs but no serious decay or damage in over 20 years of disuse, just a pity about all the junk now stored on the ground floor.

_DSC5946 3.jpg

The plain exterior, constructed of local granite

_DSC5835 3.jpg

The entrance of the building, note how the stairs to the galleries lead to their own doors, rather then the entrance space

_DSC5761 3.jpg

_DSC5765 3.jpg

The interior from the gallery, the light was great just after sunrise

_DSC5770-HDR 3.jpg

_DSC5776 3.jpg

_DSC5778-2 3.jpg

_DSC5851 3.jpg

The organ

_DSC5926 3.jpg

_DSC5927 3.jpg

_DSC5831 3.jpg

_DSC5941 3.jpg

_DSC5816 3.jpg

_DSC5935 3.jpg

_DSC5829 3.jpg

_DSC5822 3.jpg

The vestry

_DSC5933 3.jpg

The ten commandments board

_DSC5802 3.jpg

_DSC5932 3.jpg

The font, carved from serpentine

_DSC5839 3.jpg

Cast iron umbrella stand

_DSC5882 3.jpg

_DSC5889 3.jpg

_DSC5887 3.jpg

_DSC5916 3.jpg

Detail of the rostrum

_DSC5915 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Smashed it out the park, that's one of the best looking churches I've seen in ages.

At least it hasn't got as much junk crammed into the ground floor area as Tabor in Wales though :D

harryjt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tried to visit today, looks like they're doing building work to the site as it was swarmed with builders, didn't enter as I could hear drills etc... But saying this, I took another look at your photos and looks like the tools were there even on your visit? Don't have time to revisit but would be interesting to see if anyone has a mooch after building hours.