real time web analytics
Report - - [US] Mojave Road trip, Day 1 (Apr 2017) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - [US] Mojave Road trip, Day 1 (Apr 2017)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Beaker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some work travel to California meant that I had a free weekend in SoCal and I figured I could fit in some Urbexing. Thanks to @Termin8tor for his visit to Boron in the Mojave as a starting point, I tracked down around 10 locations and thought I'd check them out. So with rented Mustang convertible, I headed northeast to Palmdale to begin the adventure.

#1 - Henning Hotel
Thanks to jet-lag, I was up at 2am and wide awake, so after getting my gear sorted, I began the 2 hour drive to the first location – the Henning Hotel. As it turns out, Google maps isn’t the most up to date and the hotel was demolished some time in 2015, leaving nothing but the old Motel sign next to the road, advertising free TV but there was none to be found.

Not much history to be found other than the “town” that used to be here died in the 1970s, after the Interstate I40 opened up just a few hundred metres away, bypassing the hotel, gas stations and cafes along this and other stretches of Route 66. Next door to the hotel is the Bagdad Cafe (formerly the Sidewinder Cafe), featuring in the 1987 film of the same name starring Jack Planance and C.C.H. Pounder. The Cafe is still open if you need a decent burger or milkshake.

Onwards to the next location…

20170422-004.jpg

20170422-007-768x432.jpg

#2 Delores Waterpark
History

Built in the 1950/60s by a local business man, the park started by the construction of a 273 acre man made lake, which was fed from underground springs. Over the next decade, camping grounds and a water park was constructed, fed by traffic from the nearby Interstate I15. The parks popularity peaked in the early 1970s and again in the mid 1980s, before the park closed in the late 1980s. At the time of its closure, the park housed four 150 feet long waterslides, a jet ski race track, lazy river and a Zip-cord ride.

In August 1990, the park was sold to a consortium who removed some of the water slides to make way for new rides, and in 1998, the park reopened as “Rock-a-Hoola”, the park now rebranded in 1950s style. Some what contradictory to that style was that the Electric Daisy Festival, an all night rave party, was held annually on the site until 2000, where the park was closed due to bankruptcy. The site was then returned to the original owner, who then sold it to another consortium in 2001.

In 2002, the park reopened after a $400,000 renovation as Discovery Water park. The park was only open on weekends in 2002/3 and somewhat ad-hoc in 2004 before once again the park closed its doors, this time for the final time.

In 2008, MTV filmed a skateboarding documentary on the site, using the waterslides and park to perform skateboarding stunts. Shortly after this, the slides were removed by the owners (probably to prevent future lawsuits) and one of the slides, “The Big Bopper”, now resides at a water park in Canada. Since then, the park has been used as a concert venue, a Top Gear America test track, an Airsoft tournament location, for a Mini ad, and various rock band music video locations. Several attempts have been made to renovate and re-open the site, but due to its current vandalised state this is highly unlikely.

[Para-phrased from Wikipedia and local sources]

The Explore

Somewhat annoyingly, the Daily Fail had posted an article about this location just 2 weeks before I was due to fly out so I was a bit annoyed that the site was public knowledge. That said, in the US urbex sites aren’t as religiously protected as they are in Europe, so I wasn’t expecting a pristine location either. Rolling up just after day break, I was surprised to see another car there and what appeared to be five other people wandering around the ruins. Taking a chance, I wandered onto the site only to bump into two others, one with a spray can in hand and appeared to be “chroming” – that’s one way to start the day! I bumped into the first set of explorers, who was a family with a few of kids wandering about on holiday – apparently the mother visited the waterpark as a child and wanted to reminisce. A short stroll around the site, I’d gotten my photos so left for the next location. And it was only 7.30am!

65b01423-4e20-427e-9e33-1c60fb8b56b3-678x381.jpg

[Source: oasisthemepark.com] Back it its hey day

20170422-019.jpg

Fast forward 30 years...
20170422-005.jpg

Obligatory drone aerial
20170422-012.jpg

Out of tune
20170422-013.jpg

Ticket gate
20170422-016.jpg

Where the waterslide used to be
20170422-020.jpg

That first step is a doozy!
20170422-025.jpg

Water spouts
20170422-029.jpg

Lazy river. Peeing in the pool is ok with this raft!

#3 Villa Erin Brockovich
Between sites was the famous town of Hinkley. Nestled in the plains of the Mojave, a small villa sat abandoned, awaiting a quick explore.

The History

If you’ve seen the movie Erin Brockovich, you know the history of this town. The local energy company was using Hexavalent Chromium to prevent corrosion of a cooling tower, with the cooling water dumped into an unlined pond, that in turn seeped into the local ground water. Hexavalent Chromium is a carcinogen and genotoxic, and soon enough, the local people who drank the artesian water began developing cancers and birth defects occurred in children. While the people won a massive litigation in 1996 for $333 million, the down of Hinkley has more or less dried up with only a few die hard survivors staying in the town.

The villa I explored is a single family home that contains 1,305 sq ft on a 2.17 acre property and was built in 1955. It contains 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. This home last sold for $17,000 in August 1994. According to a property valuation website, the house is now worth $87,712, which has increased by $3,427 in the last 30 days. My urbex visit to the house was obviously adding value :)

The Explore

As I was passing between the water park and the next location, a brief stop in Hinkley to stretch the legs seemed like a good idea. The local school shuttered in 2013 with other businesses closing since then. While those locations were obviously locked, this villa appeared to be an easy explore. The energy company in question is buying up the land in Hinkley as soon as it becomes available, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this will be knocked down at some point, though judging from the condition of the house, it probably wouldn’t be a bad thing.

20170422-001.jpg

Small detached property...
20170422-002.jpg

...with bright and airy lounge ...
20170422-007.jpg

... with spacious kitchen ...
20170422-012-1.jpg

... and well maintained garden. All yours for the bargain prices of $87000! (Hexavalent Chromium not included in the sale)

cont...

Beaker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#4 Boron air station/prison
As stated earlier, I spotted this in January on 28DL and this site started the research into locations around the Mojave.

The History

The short version is the site was constructed during the Korean War as an early warning radar installation in 1952. In the decades following, the radar was upgraded several times until 1973, when the Air Force vacated the site and left the radar for the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA), which is still in use today.

In 1979, the abandoned housing was converted to a low security male prison, who built various vehicles for the armed forces. The prison shut down in 2000 and the site has been progressively trashed ever since.

Wikipedia has the full version here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_Air_Force_Station

The Visit

The photos I’d seen on forums was of an apocalyptic site, so I was half expecting some mutated creature to spring forth from some of the buildings but alas, I was mostly by myself. The houses were all vacated and trashed, which after 20 years in the desert and countless vandals desecrating the place, it is a small wonder anything remains. While on the visit, there was a group of motocrossers hooning about, and, the highlight of the visit, a fashion shoot being held in the middle of the derelict housing. Having a g-string clad model prancing about a site isn’t the usual experience on an urbex visit!

The FAA site at the top of the hill is guarded with cameras and razor wire, as an active government installation has every right to be, so be warned to steer clear of it. Everything else has been systematically trashed.

20170422-001-1.jpg

Welcome to Boron!
20170422-007-1.jpg

28 days later...
20170422-014-1.jpg

Soft Cell fan. Ironic as this used to be a prison...
20170422-015-1.jpg

A lick of paint and it'll be fine
20170422-017-1.jpg

FAA is watching
20170422-019-1.jpg

Reach for the sky
20170422-022-1.jpg

Timmmmmberrrrrrrrrr!
20170422-024.jpg

Open plan
20170422-025-1.jpg

Back to the highway
20170422-029-1.jpg

Prison A/C
20170422-032.jpg

Fashion shoot before they stripped off. And my telephoto was in the car half a mile away...
20170422-035.jpg

Suburbia
20170422-036.jpg

Behind the hill in the distance, Edwards AFB
20170422-041.jpg

Radars are different to how I remember
20170422-042.jpg

Sandman is thiiiissssss tall!

cont...

Beaker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#5 George Air Force Base
Unlike the previous site at Boron, this place was a proper air force base and everything. More details below.

The History

Built in 1941 prior to hostilities with Japan, the US Army Air Corps Advanced Flying school was set up to train pilots in almost ideal Mojave weather, with 360 days of sunshine to fly in. The site was closed at the end of WW2, but reopened when the Korean War started, with the air base renamed to George Air Force Base in honour of Brigadier General Harold Huston George, a famous WW1 fighter ace killed in an aircraft accident in Darwin, Australia in 1942.

The air base remained open throughout the Cold War offering a training base for the Tactical Air Command, and later the Air Combat Command. In 1992, after Desert Storm had concluded, the air base was mothballed, with the air base transferred to civilian use as the South California Logistics Airfield (SCLA). The military returned in 2009, where the SCLA is used as a training facility for the MQ-1 Predator drone operated by the California Air National Guard.

There isn’t much history of the surrounding residential area, though Ken Block hosted a Hoonigan race through the site in 2016
)

The police/military still use the site for counter-terrorism training. Curiously, a golf course and church are still active on the site, surrounded by a sea of derelict housing.

As an interesting side note, Auxilary Airfield 2 of George AFB is now more commonly known as the Lockheed Martin Skunkworks, home of the USAF stealth aircraft program.

The Visit

After Boron, I didn’t have my hopes up for the quality of this location. Again, arriving almost 15 years after a site closure usually means that most aesthetics have been trashed or stolen. And so I was proved right. With signs everywhere warning against trespass, largely due to health hazard than anything else, one road onto the site was curiously absent of any signage and so I drove past hundreds, perhaps thousands of derelict houses, wondering to myself "what a waste". I didn’t have time to visit all the houses but the 10 or so I did wander about were completely stripped and vacant and in some cases falling down.

On another part of the site was a childrens centre which had long been derelict, and some nearby apartments. No history available but long abandoned.

20170422-001-2.jpg

There were miles and miles of this scene
20170422-004-2.jpg

Tumbleweed collection
20170422-006-1.jpg

At least they left the TV this time
20170422-009-1.jpg

Recreation area
20170422-011.jpg

Thanks for the hint to the youtube link :)
20170422-012-2.jpg

HIEN' WORL
20170422-015-2.jpg

Play area has seen better days
20170422-017-2.jpg

Hundreds of apartments...
20170422-019-2.jpg

... all looking like this

#6 Abandoned facility

Reporting failure is not usually something I see on other urbex sites, with the report of a success far more likely to occur. So to balance out the reporting in the name of fairness, I screwed up on this one.

Looking around Google Earth trying to find suitable locations, I chanced upon what looked to be an abandoned facility near Edwards Air Force base and thought it would be worth checking out.

20170522-002.jpg

Image (C) Google Earth 2017

Alas, when I actually go there, I ran into this:
20170422-001-3.jpg

That’s right, the road leading to the site was in the middle of a USAF “precision” bombing range. So scratch that one off the list. :S

#7 Snoopy and Friends
Imagine my delight when I was searching for abandoned sites in the Mojave when I discover a whole, real life B-52 bomber sitting derelict in the desert, waiting for me to photograph it. Imagine my annoyance, when I discover that the internet failed to mention that the planes reside on the grounds of Edwards Air Force base and that entry is restricted. D’oh.

20170422-001-4.jpg

Barely viewable from the road were two B-52 Stratofortress aircraft (also called BUFFs, for Big Ugly Fat F…, well, you can guess the rest), while a short way away was a B-58 Snoopy, sitting regally on a set of stilts. An F-101 Voodoo and a B-49 are also scattered around the desert here, but I couldn’t see them from the road. All the aircraft are here to serve as props for air reconnaissance training by the USAF to calibrate cameras and practice aerial photography by the fly-boys. But if you want to get up close to take a photo yourself, the best way is to join the US Air Force first! (A photo search of "B52 Mojave" on Flickr will show you what I missed, but as I was on a business trip, being sent to Guantanamo wasn't high on the list of things to see!)

20170522-002-1.jpg

(c) Google 2017 - Snoopy (bottom left) BUFF (right)
20170522-003-678x381.jpg

(c) Google 2017 - BUFFs

That was all from Day 1. I'll post Day 2 next

Last edited: