real time web analytics
Report - - Tottington Road Primitive Methodist Church, Bolton - May 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tottington Road Primitive Methodist Church, Bolton - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
May 2018

The Visit
Went to this place with @coolboyslim and a non-member. We decided to check it out fairly late in the day and ended up exploring the building for about thirty minutes. When we visited, the building was in great shape overall, except for one room that was starting to get damp. I completely forgot to share this report earlier, but after looking through the forum and realizing that no one else had mentioned it, I figured I'd post about it now.

The History
Tottington Road Primitive Methodist Church was constructed in 1890, but the Primitive Methodists began preaching at Harwood Lee, near Bolton, in the summer of 1837. A Society was formed, which met in the home of James Maden. When he moved away, the infant church rented a house, using one room for preaching, and the other three rooms for the Sunday School, which opened on 7 April 1839. Before this church, known as Tottington Road, was built, the church was known as The Hephzibah Chapel.

In 2009, following a decline in regular attendance Tottington Road merged with the nearby Longsight Methodist Church to form a single organisation. The Longsight site was closed and converted into a community hall, with worship continuing at Tottington Road up until its closure, since then the site has seen some development with images from street view indicating that the building is in the process of being converted into homes with several new build houses also being built to the rear of the chapel.

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington1.jpg

[1]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington7.jpg

[2]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington3.jpg

[3]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington2.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington6.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington8.jpg

[6]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington4.jpg

[7]

GRONK_Bolton_Tottington5.jpg

[8]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Canon EOS 60D, 10-18mm EFS​

Last edited:

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Wow I remember this. Great place hardly touched. Nice pics you got there. And nice report. 🙌

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, I went to many a christening at that Church and my daughter went to Balet in that church hall most Saturdays in her younger days. I still maintain that church hall was the coldest place on earth. No matter the weather, it was always freezing!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice back cat. Nice condition. Surprised to see a church without a single stained glass window.